How did you choose which birth year razor to buy?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brow_tines, May 25, 2015.

1. brow_tines

brow_tines Well-Known Member

I've been thinking a lot lately about trying to find a razor from my birth year. I know several different kind was made that year (1974) so how did you choice which to buy?

2. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

image.jpg For me, I want mint with the case or box and period razor blade pack. And it has to be something I will actually shave with. I use all my razors. You could go for a Gillette Super Adjustable "Black Beauty". I have one and they shave great.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
    Dzia Dzia, Redrock, Bill_F and 7 others like this.
  3. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

When I was looking for my Birth Year Razor (there were 3 different models) I looked for the quarter my Razor was manufactured also, I use mine, but not everyday, I will probably use it either the entire month of June or just on my birthday.
    I have been looking for other razors from my birth year, but have never like the other ones from that year. Because the people selling them are trying to rip you off, charging obscene prices for razors that are basically trash or junk.

Billyfergie, Redrock, Bill_F and 4 others like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Being almost as old as dirt, I have to settle for a period razor. So I have the '47 Aristocrat, '47 Super Speed, and the Gem Micromatic Bullet Tip. I don't own a razor I won't shave with, so mint is out.

47Aristocrat006a.jpg 47ss11.JPG gem_mmbt1.jpg

Dzia Dzia, Redrock, Bill_F and 8 others like this.
  5. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

+1

Close as I can get is a '47 Super Speed or this

Antique shaving instrument.jpg

Billyfergie, Redrock, Bill_F and 18 others like this.
  6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Why limit your options. Get one of each. ;)

Bill_F, Radiotube, Rufus T. and 3 others like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I gave up when the only 1968 razor I regularly come by/can afford is the Knack/Slim Twist, which I don't care for. The head shaves okay (basically a TTO Tech) but they're rattly and the plastic handle is junky. I (or my parents) missed the introduction of the wicked cool Super Adjustable by one year, so I've unofficially adopted my '69 SA as my BYR.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
    jakie55, NewellVW, PatrickA51 and 3 others like this.
  8. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

And I purchased a NOS 85 SS for my BY, since I do not want an old used TTO. Lets start a Birth Decade Razor Acquisition Disorder.

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Ha! Unfortunately my birth decade included WWII and razor production was suspended for about half of it. But I can still get razors from the 40s.

Dzia Dzia and mrchick like this.
  10. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I wasn't looknig for a birth year razor, but it found me! Bought a Gillette Slim a few months back. When I checked the date code out of curiosity, it turned out to be from my birth quarter, no less!

Excellent proposition!

Bill_F, mrchick, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  11. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Hey
    We all feel "Old" enough!

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Another vintage razor I used to own....
    [​IMG]

13. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

slim seemed like the 64 choice to me

14. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I just bought an Edwin Jagger DE89 a few years back and pretended I was born the year the razor was made. Hey, for the me in a parallel universe, it could be true. Voila! Birth year razor. ;)

15. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

My birth year is the Double Nickel, so there are some great choices. I have a birth quarter SS, to go along with the other two SS I own, and I have what could be considered my birth era Schick I1 (as they do not have actual manufacturing indicators on the razor. I also have a GEM Feather Weight, which could be considered my birth SE razor. Naw, I can quit any time..... I don't need help.

16. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

196 M2, I bought almost all of them, still looking for an Aristocrat in good condition to complete the set with my VERY limited funds right now.

17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I just put Gillette and the appropriate date code into my searches on eBay every month or so. I wasn't looking very hard, as my birth year was during the cartridge revolution, and safety razor sales were quietly dying away in America.

I eventually found a reasonably priced 1980 2nd quarter black handled superspeed and shave with it from time to time.

In my opinion, the quality of even Gillette's razors started to decline going into the 70's, and the best adjustable razors seem to come from the 50's and 60's.

Billyfergie likes this.
  18. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

What's wrong with one of each?

19. jamespasini69

jamespasini69 Well-Known Member

I've been looking for birth year razors, but none of the '69s really impress me except maybe Gillette 3pc travel.

20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I went on eBay and got the one that was available & affordable. Since this was primarily a collectible for me, I wasn't that particular about the model.

Douglas Carey and jamespasini69 like this.