New forum member here, and also really need help!

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Idiot Here, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Back when I was a go-go dancer, I tried an electric on my legs. It was nearly as torturous as the Epilady. Use a blade and soap.

178-bplatoon and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

3. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Welcome to TSD! And as for advice on leg shaving...I would probably avoid the electric, mostly because I don't think it would do a great job. I suggest you do it the way most people who shave their legs do it. My wife for example either shaves her legs in the bath or shower, using a shave oil prep (there are home made recipes for this in the TSD forums) and either soap (preferably shave soap) and a DE razor or some type of disposable shaver.

4. Star

Star Active Member

Welcome to TSD!

I don't know how well an electric shaver would do on your legs. I've never tried it, but I imagine the result wouldn't be what you're wanting. I use an electric trimmer on my back and chest (I'm basically a bear) and it works well enough for me but then again I'm not looking for any level of smoothness.

If you're looking to get into wet shaving then you might as well pick up a budget DE and some decent cream. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. You'll probably cut the ever loving beep beep out of yourself once or thrice but once you get some experience it'll give you the best results for the coin imho. My wife uses a cheap DE that I bought for her along with some canned goop (she doesn't want to have to use a brush in the shower) and she's been pretty happy with it thus far.

Hope that helps. We've got a really awesome community here--no question is a dumb question.

Lo'Gosh likes this.
  5. Star

Star Active Member

Also if you can't figure this out on your own just try asking a female friend. They more or less have to shave their legs so they're going to have this one already figured out.

Lo'Gosh likes this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Back in the day my wife wife was going through the wax faze, and as a good husband I allowed her to remove a strip of hair on my shin. Needless to say it's still bald..:eek:
    And I went through the big red toe nail with my daughter, earning with my daughter. And so on..

7. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD! Are you wanting them completely smooth or just a little bit shorter? If shorter then you may want to try some Wahl hair clippers. You can buy clipper kits at Wal-Mart for around $20 that come with various guards to cut a different lengths.

Rufus T. likes this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Welcome to TSD!

9. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Welcome!

10. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Welcome to the forum!

Regarding your question, you'll find that a DE razor will work the best, really. A good soap and brush will assist with the process. Good luck.

11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD "Idiot Here"

You'll probably do better asking one of our female shavers about leg shaving. As to using an electric, I never liked using one on my face so I don't think I'd use one on my legs. I'd advise getting a decent long handled 3 piece such as are offered by Edwin Jagger, Cadet, Sabi, Maggard etc. Get a blade sample pack find a blade that works for your legs. Figure out a good prep and go for it. Sorry I can't be of more help.. Good luck! :happy088:

12. TCBENNETT55

TCBENNETT55 Active Member

Welcome to the den. Don't use an electric. Electric razors have to be cleaned and blades replaced. This isn't a cheap expense. Use a good shave cream or soap. A DE razor either a 3 piece or TTO will suffice and a decent brush. Hit up the TSD store, Maggard Razor, or Sally Beauty has all but the cream or soap.

13. nascarfandan

nascarfandan Active Member

Firstly, welcome to the den. Kind of sounds like everyone has given you some sound advice already. The best advice I can come up with is Wal-Mart. They should have everything you need to get started from an inexpensive "as seen on tv" turn to open razor as well as the accompanying blades; VDH (VanDeHagen-I think) starter brush and soap kits; canned shaving cream (we call it goo around here) if you would rather go that route; someone else mentioned pre-shave oil---I believe they carry a brand called Corn Huskers and a wide assortment of after shave balms. All of these items would be perfectly fine for any young man of your age to purchase. you questioned if your legs would look weird shaved. We have another expression around here...YMMV (Your Milage May Vary) basically what is weird to you might be fine to us and vice versa. Remember one last thing...if your legs do look weird to you...it's hair ...it'll grow back...good luck!

178-bplatoon likes this.
  14. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

welcome.....i was/am a hockey/baseball player and do to jacked up wrist had to tape before every game and practice...so, instead of shaving a portion of my arm i would shave my arms since it would end up pulling my hair out anyways (even with pre-wrap)...to answer your question "will a electric shaver work?", yes it will...but will it give you the best shave? probably not (atleast in my experience)...i never really cared to much about getting a "great shave" though and could use any cheap old razor...now, shaving my face is a different story

15. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den!

16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

tsdwelcome2[1].jpg
    Great people at TSD always ready, will, and able to help.:happy088::happy088:

17. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

I played football all the way through college and shaved my ankles to avoid having the hair ripped out by the tape the trainers put on. Back then I used a Gillette cartridge razor and edge gel. It always worked the best but since you will probably start shaving your face more in the future I would suggest learning how to use a double edge razor with a brush and some shaving soap. You will be happy you did.

18. Cheechako

Cheechako Active Member

Welcome to the forum!
    Here's a video my girlfriend watched about shaving legs with a DE razor, good luck to you!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Your profile has your age listed. Thought you might want to know so you can go into the settings and hide that.

Though honestly, there's nobody here who cares how old you are. Last time I checked, there was no age limit for shaving, body hair or otherwise. An eight year old posting on the forums would be kind of weird though.

That reminds me, Queen of Blades's daughter has relayed messages to the forum members here through her mom on several occasions, though that's a special exception. :)

20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome aboard!