Opinions wanted. MWF vs. Tabac

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by NCoxSTL, May 10, 2015.

?

Which do you prefer?

1. Mitchell's Wool Fat

41.0%
  2. Tabac

59.0%
  1. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I have never used Tabac Shaving Soap. Good review, I might just try some. When I run out of my shaving soaps that I have in my stash, maybe after inauguration day in 2021?

2. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Now I hate to Hijack this thread but does Tabac contain sandalwood?

3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

No sandalwood in Tabac. It is a somewhat complex scent, but sandalwood isn't included

Tdmsu and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  4. Daxom

Daxom New Member

Tabac

NCoxSTL likes this.
  5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

The answer to any question is simply Tabac.

Tdmsu and NCoxSTL like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap is much maligned because people don't know how to use it.

MWF must be properly hydrated before use. What this means is a puck must be soaked (as in submerged) in water for at least 24 hours before use. Once it has been hydrated (remember to pour off the excess water) it will lather in seconds. Daily use will keep it performing at high levels. If you quit using it for a while, just rehydrate it before use.

The ceramic MWF dish is specially sized to hold a hydrated puck. The puck will swell to fill the dish. Otherwise, there's almost a half inch gap around the puck.

A puck of MWF will easily last a year, so the cost drops down to about $1 a month.

Rufus T., dbersh, Bristle Me and 2 others like this.
  7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

What is the meaning of life? Tabac. hmmmmmm.....I see how that works.

Rufus T. likes this.
  8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Maybe it's because I did some homework first but MWF wasn't that hard to lather. My first attempt wasn't great but it was good enough to shave. My next attempt worked really well as I adjusted the amount of water. I think its reputation is somewhat deserved but all it takes is a little practice and determination. The lather is awesome!

Rufus T. and dbersh like this.
  9. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

I agree with this whole heartedly! I'm late to the party but I'd give the edge to MWF over tabac due to the lather. MWF is finicky but once it's been dialed in it's hard to beat for the price. Plus the post shave is amazing. I have hard water so I do load more than some need to but yield fantastic results. Plus the subtle scent can b paired with pretty much any aftershave. Tabac on the other hand is much easier to dial in the lather. I generally follow up tabac with something powdery in scent. Good pairings have been clubman, rr blue or floid blue for me. For cheaper options av blue and musk or old spice original. I do grate both soaps into a hocking bowl which helps in loading to me.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    NCoxSTL likes this.
  10. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Both are outstanding and i feel everyone should own both but the face feel of mwf is out of this world.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  11. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Tabac is easier to dial in.

I voted MWF as the fragrance of Tabac is not my cup of wax.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  12. natal000

natal000 Active Member

Tabac is vastly superior to Mitchell's in every single category and a far better value. IMO Mitchell's is one of the most overrated soaps out there and the scent is underwhelming.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    What's wrong with chamomile and lavender? (At least, that's the fragrance I get out of MWF, it's almost a dryer sheet fragrance).

Just sniffed the puck. Definitely lavender and chamomile.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Tabac!

Tdmsu and NCoxSTL like this.
  15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Over on B&B, grating and mixing MWF and Tabac is considered to create a soap greater than each individually.

NCoxSTL and Metro like this.
  16. chromedometone

chromedometone Active Member

Fat. But that's just today. Really for me that can changet tomorrow with these 2 soaps. Both fantastic.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  17. chromedometone

chromedometone Active Member

Today I would prefer tabac. It is really is like that with these two soaps for me but note I have no problem lathering mwf.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  18. sonnyrsg

sonnyrsg Member

Well I just ordered MWF so we shall see.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  19. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

MWF, by a small margin. PLANofMAN is right though, you do need to keep MWF hydrated. It stays hydrated with regular use and a closed container. Tabac is excellent also though.

Metro and NCoxSTL like this.
  20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I have found this to be true as well. MWF definitely likes to be hydrated but using a well shook out boar brush on the wet puck will give you all the lather you want, and the slickness is amazing.