What advice would you give the Newbie you?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Slow Joe, Jun 20, 2015.

1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I also have an R89 that I like. I recently picked up an R41 head from Connaught Shaving for a good price. It's miles ahead of the R89 for me. I think you'll like it. :happy088:

Slow Joe and Dubs like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Congrats on 2000 posts!!!

Charlie, you handsome dude...pick one set up, take time with your prep, focus on your lather-building skills, and stick with two-pass shaves.

Dzia Dzia, Rusty blade and Slow Joe like this.
  3. michaelAD

michaelAD Well-Known Member

I would tell myself: You could do a lot worse than Proraso green shaving soap, a good omega or semogue boar brush, and an NDC Superspeed.

I didn't start with that setup, but I wish I had. I think it taught me more about getting a reliably good shave than any advice I ever received.

4. Brian_Powers

Brian_Powers Well-Known Member

Congrats on 2,000!

I would tell myself, "Self, you're never going to look as cool as Don Draper or Jimmy Stewart so just have fun."

I would also prepare myself for the fact that I would soon own more bathroom supplies than my S.O.

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

"Self, in a few years you'll be watching youtube videos of half-naked men shaving, have long discussions about if rose or sandalwood smells better - and be accepting of the fact that you are using more soaps and creams than any of your ex girlfriends did. You will also have a boyfriend named Willhelm".

I like to mess w/ myself, the annoying brat.

6. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Why? =P

7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Because the recipe is kind of involved, for something to be made one puck at a time. Plus, it doesn't spoil.

Omelmad likes this.
  8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Congrats on 2,000. I would tell myself to pick up a vintage SS and New LC to start off with.

9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Congratulations on 2000 posts.

10. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

My advice would be to follow GDCarrington's recommendation on the 30 day rule and slow down on accumulating new brushes, razors, soaps and creams. I got so much stuff I haven't purchased anything new in a year and a half.

11. Brian_Powers

I haven't either. And I've given a ton of stuff away to new converts so it's time to rebuild the stock in the den.

12. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Take your time. Learn to lather. Learn your technique. Don't worry about BBS. That will come by itself when you least expect it. Learn your face. Your whole complexion is going to change for the better. You don't need another new razor, soap, cream, brush, balm, aftershave, or credit card.

barbersurgeon and Brian_Powers like this.
  13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

It's definitely a case of YMMY - for me the Derbys are excellent. :)

gmaugie007 and Bama Samurai like this.
  14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I would tell a newbie to start off slowly and try different set-ups. I would also tell him not to be discouraged if he gets nicked or cut at the beginning.

15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Congrats on 2k!

Do a couple 30 Day rules before quenching RAD.

wristwatchb likes this.
  16. Brian_Powers

I've seen the 30-Day Rule thing posted about quite a bit. What is the 30 Day Rule?

Slow Joe and Bama Samurai like this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Slow Joe and Brian_Powers like this.
  18. Brian_Powers

Slow Joe and Bama Samurai like this.
  19. kurtmill

kurtmill Active Member

Congratulations on 2000 posts!

I'd tell myself to not rush into a three pass shave and don't be afraid of the smell of Arko because you'll love it.

Slow Joe and wristwatchb like this.
  20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I would tell myself to make sure my aftershave lotions/balms, etc....are comfortable enough for the respective seasons.