TTO recommendation needed

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Admiral Beez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

These people must bring their own
    Silverware to restaurants.

OP. I understand the need to buy new and quality and the thought you should have to spend $100 to get quality but please consider that when vintage Gillette razor s were sold they were price at what would be about $20.00. There is no need to buy boutique prices for something like this. Also Weshi are not junk. Far from it. They represent a fair price for good quality.

Jim99 likes this.
  2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

3. Bondage007

Bondage007 Active Member

I love my Merkur Vision when I'm done shaving I can hang pictures with it. It's large but it fits like a glove. See picture below, it's one in center.
    Have you considered a replated/restored vintage Slim, Fatboy etc. After plating it would be good as new.

Cheers
    John

image.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    Jim99 likes this.
  4. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

he needs to drop the "second hand" thing and get a gillette adjustable......he will LOVE it, and i have NEVER heard someone say "i cant stand my slim/fatboy/etc." or "i regret buying one".

dangermouse and Jim99 like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Lol. They do, and they don't use public restrooms either.:scared011: when they absolutely have to, they use the "hover" method. :eek:

Like Swarden said, there's been a few on this forum. They usually buy NOS Gillette's at inflated prices and become happy wetshavers.

Jim99 likes this.
  6. natal000

natal000 Active Member

If you can find a Merkur Vision 2000 for under $150, it is worth the extra cost. It is TTO at it's finest

7. sonnyrsg

sonnyrsg Member

I think vintage is best, however I would go with a Mercur Progress TTO if he wants modern.

8. natal000

natal000 Active Member

Parker makes some decent TTO razors. The Merkur Progress is not a TTO but the Merkur Vision is but it costs about $200 as is no longer being made. I would buy a vintage Gillette Fatboy from Razor Emporium. The razors they offer are sterilized and refurbished and better than new.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  9. Gerry Canter

Gerry Canter Member

I know this is an older post, but I'd like to second the Mehaz for beginners. With a good blade, I think it would be a great training razor. I have one that I use as a travel razor. I pair it with an Astra blade, and get great results. To me, it's very Super-Speed like.

PLANofMAN and NCoxSTL like this.
  10. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Don't limit your options with a fixed TTO. Get an adjustable either a vintage Gillette or as bondage 007 note a new Merkur variety.
    Allows you to change settings depending on comfort or face vs neck.

Sara-s likes this.
  11. Bezoar

Bezoar Active Member

12. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Well for a 100 bucks (or less) he can search (you know where) and find a NOS Super Speed or other vintage TTO. There is no substitute for the real McCoy.

13. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

14. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

What's funny is that in the year and a half since the OP asked about getting his friend a razor, the guy probably has already aquired twenty of the things, or decided he hated wet shaving and grown a beard.

15. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I think I paid like 40 bucks for my mint '47 Milord, with case. Best TTO I've got, both in performance and looks.

16. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

blashe and PickledNorthern like this.