hand turned zebra wood brush

Discussion in 'Special Projects' started by rodd, Mar 19, 2008.

1. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Well, I don't usually post pictures until after it has been recieved, but JoAnna and I have exchanged a fair amount of emails so she has seen the work in progress. Here she is:

The Royal Brush:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    That's cool. Look at the shine on that thing!

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    hehehehehehehehe

It is so awesome, Rodd!!! :bounce015

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Couple of updates here, first I started working with CA finishes. I really like the look of it. The two pictures below are the same brush. It is a piece of black palm that one side is light and the other is dark. I think it looks very cool. This has the CA finish. This one was for Scott (Hanspleasure on B&B)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Then when I was recently looking at a few razors I had sitting around with cracked barrels I thought about turning a razor handle. After talking to Guenron about the Oosic handle a friend turned I decided to give it a go. This is my first try. Bubinga with CA finish, and a Merkur head. The handle is going to the Queen, minus my Merkur head.
    [​IMG]

5. Queen of Blades

Wow, the CA finish looks real good! :happy088

6. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Rodd, that razor is simply fantastic! And the brushes aren't too shabby, either! :happy096

7. netsurfr

netsurfr New Member

Very, very nice. Wishing I had a lathe about now... ... ...

8. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I found a nice big piece of walnut that had both heartwood and sap wood. (dark and light) and thought it would be awesome for brushes. What do you think? This piece had a couple small improfections, I thought about turning them off, but my Dad always used to say they add character... I will let you be the judge of that.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

20mm Silvertip

9. Queen of Blades

I like that! :happy088

10. ktulu64

ktulu64 New Member

I like it, "imperfections" and all...and I would agree with your father.

That sapwood walnut almost looks like maple - very light.

11. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Thanks!

I am home alone this weekend, so I have had some time to turn. Here are a couple more

First this beast is old barn wood with a 24mm silvertip knot set deep. The result is an extremely dense full soft brush. The big handle looks a bit off balanced now, but after bloom, I think this will be perfect.
    The second one is cocobolo. It has a 20mm silvertip knot. This is for my wife's co-worker. My wife converted someone! :)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. yayrum

yayrum New Member

Wow those brushes look great! I don't have any wood as interesting as the zebra but I have a some mahogany, black walnut, and cherry. I have never turned anything but i might have to commission my one friend to teach me. Are there any tutorials on turning handles out there on the interwebs?

13. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

14. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I love the way the Cocobolo looks - very nice work, buddy! ::

15. Padron

Padron Active Member

Those look sweet Rodd! :D, any post bloom shot?

16. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Unfortunately no, these ones aren't for me, but I will be making another deep set 24 for myself sooner or later, and I will post pics of that one. :) Who knows, that deep set one, or the walnut heartwood/sapwood may be made available to you in someway or another before long... ;)

17. riffin

riffin Active Member

Stunning!

I have to say that my Rodd Special has cured my brush AD. I had a long list of brushes I planed to get and try. Since I got Rodd's, that desire has completely gone away.

Wait...did you say deep set knot...24 mm? I mihg thave to give that a try! :rolleyes:

18. Queen of Blades

So distracted by the thought, he can't type straight. :happy097

19. riffin

riffin Active Member

Oh, no! That's par! You should see my typing when I'm REALLY distracted!

20. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I've been busy.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    This one is actually for me. :D 24mm silvertip in zebrawood (post bloom pic)

[​IMG]
    20mm Best in Zebrawood

[​IMG]
    24mm silvertip in Zebrawood