Question on first purchase and use of the Norton 4k/8k.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by SRNewb, Jul 4, 2015.

1. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Hi!
    I'm thinking about buying my first hone, and have decided on the Norton 4/8. Seems like the stone the majority probably start with. I am currently using lapping film and getting great edges, but would like to try water stones. But I do not have the budget to develop HAD. A 4/8, followed by a 12k in the future, will be the goal.
    I currently set a bevel on 2k wet or dry, but I know from reading on the forums that it is possible to set the bevel on the 4k side of the Norton. Also, I know for $50-$70 I can get a decent 1k bevel setter later, and that's in the plan for the future, but I prefer to start with the 4/8. But these stones will pretty much be it for me, I think.
    So I have a few questions.
    Firstly, I have read somewhere that the 4k/8k is now manufactured somewhere else, but don't remember where. Mexico, maybe? Has there been any decline in quality that would make this stone less useable than what it has been for decades? Is this still a solid choice for a beginner like me?
    Also, I plan to keep it level with plate glass and 400 wet or dry. Is this grit correct, or do I need something finer?
    Finally, other than an initial lapping before first use, what, if any, other prep do I need before this stone is ready for use?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

This is a question is more for the the following two gents: Glen @gssixgun or Kevin @HolyRollah.

SRNewb likes this.
  3. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Yes. Thanks for tagging them.

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I just sold my Norton 4k/8k recently to another member. :)
    My understanding is there was (is?) a QC issue in the Mexico made nortons having to do with grittiness or uneveness in the grit or something else. Glen may know more about these details.
    That said, I wouldn't have any problem recommending a Norton as a first mid-stone combo. My Mexican-made Norton performed well enough, particularly the 8k side. The 4k side can be gritty at times but lapping helped resolve this. I used a dmt325 coarse plate for lapping all my stones.
    I lap the stones before each use. Initially you'll want to ensure they are flat so the first lapping may be a bit longer. Good idea to chamfer the edges too.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    gssixgun, Drygulch and SRNewb like this.
  5. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

My thanks to both of you.

6. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    It is the 4k that has the issues and as Kev said lapping will solve most of it..

Honestly however if you are thinking 4-8-12
    I would just start with the Naniwa SS 3-8-12 and have what many consider to be about perfect synthetic SR honing set.. The 8k level is pretty much a wash both the 8k's are exceptional polishers. But IME the 3k Naniwa SS is a better hone for SR's then the Norton 4k especially in the new Combo 4/8

All that being said neither way is a bad choice :) Both will result is a shave ready razor if you do your part

Good Luck

HolyRollah and SRNewb like this.
  7. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Glen, thanks. A friend of mine just recommended the Naniwa 3k/8k combo stone, so your post is timely. Much appreciated.

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I second Glen's Naniwa suggestion. Cost a little more, but excellent, consistent results off those stones! :happy088:

gssixgun and SRNewb like this.
  9. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

My Norton 4/8k has arrived. I went with the Norton after reading a few threads where it was stated that the Norton wears a bit slower than the Naniwa.
    Below is a closeup of the stone, as well as a shot of it and the materials used to lap it.
    The 4k side is made in Italy, 8k in the U.S.A.
    Norton must have handled the situation I read about in a few threads regarding the 4k side, because it lapped smooth really fast. I doubt I lost a 16th of an inch.
    My thanks for all the advice and counsel, gentlemen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HolyRollah likes this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Looks as if you have a winner! Treat it well and the hone will do the job!

SRNewb likes this.
  11. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Thanks, Kevin.

12. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with a Norton. It's so consistent and really works well.

SRNewb likes this.
  13. BudWhite

BudWhite Well-Known Member

If I had to do it all over I would have gone with the naniwa 3/8/12 rather than the Norton 4/8.

However once I bought the Chosera 1k, I solved the issue. I can go from 1k to 8k seamlessly and then finish with the naniwa 12k.