Dog Lovers

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Ryan B, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Double Edge Dougy likes this.
  2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

My mum has a toy poodle little black thing that me and the girlfriend look after a few times a week, its great fun and loving dog.
    We are going to get a dog this year at christmas (we wont be buying another presents for each of us,just the dog)
    We are not sure what breed we want yet, maybe Shar Pei, British bulldog, or a Sealyham Terrier. are what we have narrowed it down to at the moment, but thats not set in stone.

ohpaos likes this.
  3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Very nice. I've owned two of those breeds in the past and there are some issues with them. Sharpei's need to be wiped down regularly. Funk can develop in the folds and they develop skin issues and get stinky quickly. Old English Bulldogges are a host of problems. They are expensive as they are all born through C-section. They cannot tolerate the heat at all, have a lot of breathing issues due to the shape of the snout etc. For the most part they cannot swim. If they fall in the water, they sink like bricks. They are neat dogs, but don't plan on once a year vet visits for shots, you will be a lot more familiar with your vet. I am not sure about the terrier, but just thought I would share some experiences with those breeds.

ohpaos, Ryan B and alpla444 like this.
  4. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Yeah I read the same issues (swimming is not a problem as I cant swim either lol)

The Sealyham terrier is quite a rare breed now numbers of them are low, just down to popularity of the breed, no real issues with them.
    But the other 2 breeds are NOT cheap as you say.

5. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

I had to look up the Sealyham Terrier. So stinkin' cute!
    [​IMG]

Speaking of swimming, these cool hot-dog dogs make me happy :) image.jpg

Paul Turner, alpla444 and Ryan B like this.
  6. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

Why buy a dog when you can rescue one. There are so many pups out there that need homes. Puppy mills and backyard breeders are out to make a buck with no regard for the poor animal.
    If more people would stop buying, and start rescuing, it would help out the poor animals that are out there.
    My wife and I rescued our girls, and they are the best things in our lives.
    I'm not judging anyone, just trying to help out the cause.

This is Angelina and Atia
    uploadfromtaptalk1370656179986.jpg

7. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

image.jpg

Tuffy and swarden43 like this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My favorite 115lb (52kg) 2-year old...our Fawn Great Dane, Lola

A gift from my sis-in-law who breed pure-bred Danes, Lola is about the sweetest dog I've ever had the pleasure of owning.
    She doesn't bark nor lick your face (when you see her lick her other dane relatives, you'll see what a slobbery mess they can make & be thankful), but always desires to be at your side. Danes love to LEAN into you so one needs to brace one's self & anticipate the inevitable. Still playful as a pup. The life-expectancy on this breed is about 7-9 years max, so I'm enjoying every moment I can with this droolly jewel of creation.

Just a year old here...
    [​IMG]

Doing what Danes excel at....Ultimate Couch Potato
    [​IMG]

Visiting her 'kinfolk' up in the Sierra Foothills. This is my sis-in-laws office. Wall-to-wall Dane...
    [​IMG]

alpla444, oldtrout, Tuffy and 2 others like this.
  9. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Beautiful. I like Great Danes too, but I don't think I could fit one in my car.

HolyRollah likes this.
  10. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Lola Dooby-Doo,
    I lub you!

HolyRollah likes this.
  11. Tuffy

Tuffy Member

Our best dog was a Golden Retriever/German Shepherd mix. She died of cancer a few years ago. Very smart and very loving and great with our kids when they were little. The picture below is of our German Shepherd/Husky mix, our granddoggy-a Whippit/Lab mix, and our Golden Retriever. All three great dogs although the Shepherd/Husky mix, while very intelligent, is very strong willed. All three are great with kids and very loving. BTW-our golden is probably the last pure-breed we will ever buy from a breeder. It is shelter/rescue dogs for us from now on. Can't imagine our life without dogs in the house.
    Bella, Lucy, Sadie.JPG

Paul Turner, alpla444, ohpaos and 2 others like this.
  12. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

13. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Hank...the happy go lucky hunter IMAG0188_1.jpg

alpla444, Ryan B, oldtrout and 2 others like this.
  14. KLF

KLF Doctorin

My dear Killy has passed away today...I loved her very much, she brought many happy moments to our family. She was very ill and we decided to let her go, she had some wonderful 14 years with us and this was the least we could do for her. This is a photo of her from maybe 9 years ago

FB_IMG_1437551266164.jpg

clint64 likes this.
  15. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

KLF, my sincere condolences.

16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Sorry for the loss, KLF.

KLF likes this.
  17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

@KLF sorry for you loss.

KLF likes this.
  18. Latherette

Latherette Active Member

Couldn't agree more. My favorite position as well :)

HolyRollah likes this.
  19. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

@KLF.

That's a real bummer. SWMBO and I have been there too many times to count. Condolences.

KLF likes this.
  20. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

@KLF sorry about your loss