Exclusive: A hands-on, first look at The Blackland razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Jun 9, 2015.

1. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    93% funded in four days! Just about seven more backers to go.

We're also working with an artisan soap maker to create an exclusive Blackbird shaving cream as a stretch goal reward. Stay tuned for that announcement in the next couple of days.

Chuck F likes this.
  2. nunhgrader

nunhgrader Member

Congratulations - almost there!

ShaneS likes this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

$785 to go! :)

ShaneS likes this.
  4. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    We made it! What a ride these past few days have been. Hard to believe there are still 25 days left. :)

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Congrats Shane!

Kerry asked a question on another Kickstarter that I thought was interesting, as it also applies to you -
    "Can kickstarter offers "sell out" before their last day - or do they accept all orders up to the end of their campaign"?
    (This is for the non-early-bird option(s))

ShaneS likes this.
  6. nunhgrader

nunhgrader Member

Very exciting! Congratulations - now the fun begins!

ShaneS likes this.
  7. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I think there have been some campaigns that were so overwhelmed with demand that they did stop taking orders. With 100 backers I won't come even close to needing to do that so I'll take orders up until the end. I also won't have to outsource packing or shipping so there won't be limitations there. Mine is obviously a small operation and I think backers will benefit from that.

PLANofMAN and Darkbulb like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Got this in my email today, I'm okay with free soap. :D have you thought about adding tiers for each of the handles or just the head as a stand alone purchase? I'm sure there are people out there with other custom handles that would like just the razor head...

New Stretch Goal! $22,500
    Posted by Blackland
    I have exciting news! Blackland has partnered with Local Gent Shaving Co. to produce an exclusive shaving cream just for us! If the campaign reaches $22,500, all backers at the $125 level and above will receive a full-sized, 4oz jar. Local Gent Shaving Co. is an American company that creates luxurious handmade shaving soaps and creams. We are currently developing a unique scent just for our backers.

We're excited to share this exclusive soap with you, but the only way we can make it happen is if you continue sharing this campaign with your friends and family.

Thank you,

Shane

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    ShaneS likes this.
  9. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I've considered it, but decided that simpler is better. Having said that, I'm willing to do it if there is demand. I'm just not sure that would be a demand for just the head since it makes up the vast majority of the cost.

10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Picked up my early-version Blackland Blackbird this morning and took it for a spin again.
    Same great shave - almost effortless. There is a really, really nice weight and balance to this razor that I can't wait for more people to experience soon. Stellar shave. Stellar razor.
    [​IMG]

ShaneS, clint64 and PLANofMAN like this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Nice video by Mr TSE doing a great job showing off this razor. Hm, it does look nice in raw/silver...

ShaneS, clint64 and cmorris357 like this.
  12. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Don't even play like your not getting one in both colors and handle lengths.

ShaneS, clint64 and PLANofMAN like this.
  13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

LOL

clint64 likes this.
  14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It would match your Rubberset 400 better too. ;)

Edit:
    After watching all three videos again, I'm struck by how much the overall...not profile,...maybe silhouette is a better choice of words. The silhouette reminds me of the Darwin razor, or rather what a Darwin razor reimagined by an aerospace engineer would look like.

It's beautiful.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    Darkbulb, ShaneS and clint64 like this.
  15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    @ShaneS are there any plans to make the original wooden box packaging planned for the first Kickstarter available? I'd be interested in buying that separately.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    ShaneS likes this.
  16. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I don't currently have any plans to do so, but I could be swayed. The problem is they are expensive and kind of a pain for me. For it to make any sense I'd have to sell them at 30-35 without shipping and I think that's just too much.

Darkbulb and PLANofMAN like this.
  17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Call it $40 for the long handled version of the box, shipped. I can do that.

This is just something I want. Not a Kickstarter thing. If you have an extra one laying around from your pre-production first Kickstarter run, I'd be willing to buy that.

When I pass, I want any snot nosed brats that inherit my stuff to know that this razor is something special. The case will make that clear enough.

ShaneS and Darkbulb like this.
  18. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    How about this? I'm going to revisit the box idea. If I decide to offer them, I'll do so after the campaign, but before shipping the razors. I want to talk with my manufacturer about getting the cost down a bit. Then, if anybody wants to buy one, they can do so and not have to pay shipping since I'll just add it to their Kickstarter reward.

It's just too late in the game for me to throw the box on for the campaign. I want to make sure all my ducks are in a row before I include anything new. I think this strategy will be the best for everybody. I'll have the time to fully examine the costs and improve the box design a bit and anybody who wants one will be able to have it with their Kickstarter razor. Fair?

PLANofMAN and crb81 like this.
  19. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

That box definitely needs some rare earth neodymium magnets inset in the top and bottom corners to keep it closed. Just say'n...

20. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I originally thought that as well, but the hinges used are such that it stays firmly closed without any sort of closure device.

PLANofMAN likes this.