Lavender...Manly?

Discussion in 'Scents' started by chrisf8657, Aug 8, 2015.

1. chrisf8657

chrisf8657 Active Member

After smelling some of my Hungarian Lavender and regular Lavender essential oils and creams, I'm seriously wondering if it's appropriate as an aftershave or cologne for a man, or it's a too perfum-y/floral-y/girl-y scent.

I love the smell of Lavender, but I'm not going to where it if it's like a man wearing a dress.

What are your opinions? Is it a man/unisex fragrance, or should just be relegated to preshaves and soaps/creams?

2. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Scent doesn't have a gender. A fragrance that makes you feel good about you, that you enjoy wearing and that you can wear with confidence, is a good fragrance for you, regardless of any other factors.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  3. grump

grump Well-Known Member

I use Yardley of London lavender soap but it isn't real overpowering and usually wears off or I don't notice it.

4. mhari_dubh

mhari_dubh Active Member

Definitely try the product out because it can react to your body chemistry and something that smells "girly" can change on your skin. I've found scents that I really like in the bottle (or on the sample paper) but don't smell at all good "on".

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have several lavendar soaps. I also have TSD Desert Rose that I follow up with a splash of Thayers Rose Witch Hazel. No comments about either from anybody tells me: they can't smell it, they don't care, or they are just being polite.

Omelmad likes this.
  6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I like rose scented shaving cream. Never had comments on it. :)

If you like the scent of lavender, then it seems to me that it is a scent that fits you. Go! :happy088:

Dubs and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

To your original point about using lavendar as an aftershave - apply the same rule you should apply whenever you are using ANY aftershave or cologne, that is less is often more than enough.

macaronus likes this.
  8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Just don't wear it with high heels and a cocktail dress and you'll be fine. :D

But, some formulations are more perfumey than others. So, you might want to sniff a few to find one you like.

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  9. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I don't like it as a scent for me, but it doesn't strike me as womanly. I use Lavender scented lotion, but don't think I'd ever wear it as a scent. That's just all personal choice regarding that scent. I think Lilac Vegetal is extremely floral, and I do wear that loud and proud. Floral doesn't equal womanly.

Dubs and Jasman like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Most of the really old colognes and barbershop fragrances are lavender based. Turn of the century stuff. "Pour un Homme by Caron" is a lavender scent, and it's older than Old Spice.

By the way, Pour un Homme means "Man Perfume" or "Perfume for Man." Pretty straightforward.

All the old English soap makers offer Lavender scented shave soap, and that stuff isn't marketed as unisex.

Dubs and crackstar like this.
  11. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Most of these really old scents are cover scents for people who didn't shower or wash their clothes daily. If you bathe on Sunday, don't use deodorant and wear the same clothes for two days you are going to be pretty ripe by Saturday night. A nice strong lavender is what you want to scrub up with.

macaronus, GDCarrington and PLANofMAN like this.
  12. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I use rose and other flowery scents. I really don't care about "norms". Why should women only get to smell nice =P

As the others above said, scent doesn't have a gender =)

Dubs likes this.
  13. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

just stand up a bit taller, and speak in a little lower range, you'll be fine.

Hodge, Dubs, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    :signs011:

15. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My husband loves lavender for his shave soap & PSO. Given that he's a decorated combat veteran & draws a 60-lb. bow, if he thinks it's manly, it's manly.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    macaronus, Dubs and Omelmad like this.
  17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I love Rose...what does that tell you? It tells you that I love Rose. You love Lavender. Good for you. I like it too. :happy036:

macaronus, SHAVEWIZARD420 and Dubs like this.
  18. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

There's something very relaxing about the scent of lavender. Perfect for me because I'm very fiery tempered.

macaronus and Dubs like this.
  19. GSlim66

GSlim66 Well-Known Member

I like the scent of Coates Lavender. Problem is so does my wife so she claimed all that I had.

20. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber