What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

James' scales are pretty good. The blade does want to contact one side of the scales when closing sometimes, but this is an easy fix as well, and I'll be happy to let James know how to remedy this. I just wasn't prepared to take a chasing hammer to someone else's Goldedge :)

2. jamespasini69

jamespasini69 Well-Known Member

Yeah I noticed it wanting to hit the front scale. I was afraid to mess with it and make it worse

vwp528 and Drygulch like this.
  3. entropy1049

All credit to the Straight Razor Place Forum FAQ:

"...If you want to avoid unpinning your razor or you feel the alignment is only slightly off. Some issues can be corrected by doing a minor Pin Adjustment. This adjustment is simply holding the razor over a hard surface and using a tablespoon or peening hammer, striking the pivot pin in order to cause the scale to adjustment away from the scale it is contacting (This method can also be used tighten up a loose scale).

You don't need to strike the pin very hard, you do not want to risk bending the pin or accidentally hitting/damaging the scales. A good test for how hard to hit the pin, is to hit it no harder then you would your finger... Seriously put you finger out on the anvil and tap the spot right at the cuticle and fingernail that real sensitive spot... If it hurts your finger you are tapping to hard..."

Keep gently tapping on the side you want to move the blade AWAY from, checking frequently.

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Late posting from an early morning shave: My fourth consecutive day shaving with this J-West Feon. I'm just now 'hitting my stride' when it comes to getting accustomed to the feel of this fine razor.
    Three passes plus touch-up (no blood today, unlike yesterday's minor nick) earned me a near-BBS experience. Paired with a top-lathering soap, it made for a real pleasurable shave! Mike, you many never see this razor again….:D:D
    [​IMG]

5. entropy1049

Don't make me send Seamus, Malachy, and Bugsy out to CA...;):D

I'm glad you're enjoying it as much as I do. Those J-dubs are all just such fine shavers...

vwp528 and jamespasini69 like this.
  6. BudWhite

BudWhite Well-Known Member

I'm actually eyeing up a couple of those Feons on the bay

vwp528, entropy1049 and jamespasini69 like this.
  7. jamespasini69

jamespasini69 Well-Known Member

Monday
    WD HMB brush
    Proraso green
    Geo. Emerson "the true Apollo ring" wedge with wood scales
    Clubman original
    [​IMG]
    Said good bye to an old friend. The AOS sandalwood cream is no more. So I'll be trying out the proraso red and green that I bought at the Barbershop down the road.

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Hart 6/8 Custom w/maroon micarta scales with finger groove
    Boellis Panama 1824 w/GFT Violet crème
    Floid Vigoroso
    darned nice shave
    hart custom.jpg

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Fifth day shaving with the Feon…another nice one! Greatly enhanced by the super-slick 'old spice-scented' lather.
    [​IMG]

10. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Friodur Inox 72 1/2

IMG_20150810_095746.jpg

11. entropy1049

Seems like forever I've been searching for an NOS H. Diamond 8000, and having no luck. Saw this one in a shady photo and thought I'd take a chance as the price was right. I was pleasantly surprised to discover it's been very lightly used and is in marvelous condition. :happy093:

[​IMG]

12. cubancigar2000

I wonder how many of us are looking for one of those

13. entropy1049

I can't tell you exactly how long I've been looking but I can say I have feeler emails to some J-West dealers dated from 2013...clearly patience wins the day!

jamespasini69 and vwp528 like this.
  14. cubancigar2000

I have two Hayashi Diamonds but that one has eluded me forever

15. entropy1049

They are tough to find, and when they pop up, usually accordingly priced. This one simply slipped under everyone's radar...my Ol' Dad would say "even a blind hog occasionally finds an acorn".

16. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Dubl Duck Goldedge full hollow 13/16

[​IMG]

vwp528, Drygulch, entropy1049 and 3 others like this.
  17. kamp

kamp Well-Known Member

image.jpg Shave with my W&B wedge

18. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Suzumasa 1000

DSCF5321.jpg

vwp528, Drygulch, entropy1049 and 4 others like this.
  19. Cap7597

Cap7597 Well-Known Member

8/11/15. - Gold Monkey!!!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439299618.302517.jpg

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Day#6 of 7 of consecutive use of the J-West razor on loan to me. Another pleasurable shaving experience this morn!
    [​IMG]

vwp528, Drygulch, entropy1049 and 4 others like this.