How do you store/display your straight razors?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Darkbulb, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I've somehow accumulated 7-8 straight razors now and as I slowly have the ones I really like put into shave-ready status I find the straights to be visually really appealing.

Display
    Been looking around for some display/holder that would take 5-10 razors but can't find anything that both looks good and is not too expensive. Curious to hear and see what you guys are using for things like that - if you do (I know in households with kids displaying straight razors is probably the last thing you want to d :) ).

Storing
    I've seen some really nice leather 'wraps' for instance and am curious as to how else people store a modest amount of razors (say 3-15 of them). I believe I've also seen some cigar boxes put to use for that purpose...

Drawer, Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I don't display my razors with the exception of one (civil war razor) I'm mounting into a shadow box type arrangement for the wall.
    I keep all shave-ready razors in my drawer in these felt-lined holders. Throw in a few silica gel packs and they're safe from both moisture and damage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mrchick, BeShaved, macaronus and 12 others like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

All mine are stored, not displayed. My wife made me a seven pocket roll I keep them in. The roll is kept in my dresser drawer, out of sight from my grandson.

4. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

A product used to exist called the AlembiCase which was the greatest storage solution in the world for straights IMO. Had a dandy little cavity in the bottom to hold replaceable desiccator packs. Sadly they didn't survive. I have three. I wish I had 50.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Seems like they were only around for two years.
    The case looks great:

Billyfergie and entropy1049 like this.
  6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

This is pretty awesome..but a bit of an overkill for me:
    [​IMG]

Maybe something like this:
    [​IMG]

BeShaved, Drawer, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  7. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Perhaps you can buy the patents and crank production up again. I'll take one and @entropy1049 wants 50.

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

For me personally, the idea of hanging or standing carbon steel straights out in the open or in a damp bathroom/den is asking for problems.
    I'm sure many guys do this with no problem, but I'd prefer not risk it.
    A similar situation exists with the care of a nice acoustic guitar, i.e. you can leave it on display on a guitar stand where it is convenient or to show it off, but it will be exposed to the elements (moisture, heat, humidity), dust, and the possibility of being knocked over or damaged. Safest place for it is in a case.

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Especially living in California...

BeShaved and Billyfergie like this.
  10. entropy1049

WITH a humidifier! (For those of us where it gets dry in the winter...)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OK, not pertinent, but as good an excuse as any to show off a sweet old Martin...

BeShaved, Drawer, AZWhiskers and 5 others like this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Humidity ain't a problem in these parts...but I like that geetar, especially in the case.
    Regrettably, your guitar is backwards....:D
    [​IMG]

Drawer, Turk, AZWhiskers and 2 others like this.
  12. entropy1049

Lol! Point noted.

Drygulch likes this.
  13. BudWhite

BudWhite Well-Known Member

I display mine in toothbrush holders on top of an antique shaving vanity.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439767691.238578.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439767716.962571.jpg

14. Tennessee Razor

Tennessee Razor New Member

You may want to check out all the ways that pens are displayed, there are many options and in most cases what will hold a pen works well with razors. Try going to woodturningz and you will see some fine examples of this. I have a zipper case for 12 razors but they make them in larger sizes as well. Also there are rosewood and other wood display cases with glass tops. A black zipper case that is a low cost option that is $16 that holds 12 razors can be had on the woodcraft website but they also have larger ones. There are many more options out there for pens than razors so check out the options online at the different pens making suppliers like Pen State, Woodcraft and Woodturningz.

Drawer and Billyfergie like this.
  15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Funny, that's exactly the storage/display options I've been looking at. Pens and Pipes :)

Billyfergie likes this.
  16. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Damn that's cool!

Billyfergie, Slow Joe and Darkbulb like this.
  17. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

+1

18. pundi64

pundi64 Well-Known Member

I use a fountain pen display case, sold on the Bay, examples = The all wood case is a Thiers-Issard made for razors, quit expensive.

Attached Files:

Billyfergie and Darkbulb like this.
  19. tonybee46

tonybee46 Well-Known Member

I have tried all sorts of boxers and ended up with this
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442676114.379130.jpg

Drawer, Keithmax, Rusty blade and 2 others like this.
  20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

That looks excellent

Billyfergie likes this.