Question about the Gilette Tech Safety Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by cpgrad08, Aug 16, 2015.

1. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I like them a lot.
    Then I went from the factory handle to a heavier aftermarket one and the razor really turned "on" and now it's awesome. There are a lot to choose from but I found a heavier razor just works better for me. The superspeed being the exception. But then that's not an option. Other than drilling out a handle and sleeving it. Sorry to get off track but I know you will like the razor.

2. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

The Tech is probably the best razor to recommend to someone who is new to wet-shaving. Hard to mess up with a Tech and a good blade. And they seem to be plentiful in the wild...and inexpensive.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I was thinking $30 a bit high, but I guess with the box and blades it isn't too bad.

4. I have a 1940s Tech, it is my favorite razor to date. Really shines with a GSB or Feather.

5. Rusty blade

I agree. I generally pay between $5 to $20...and in an original case they can fetch a higher price.

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

While both razors shave very well. I'm curious are you getting a "Ball End" or "FAT" handle? My tech works really well with a heavy handle like a Weber Bulldog or Sabi T2.:)

cpgrad08 likes this.
  7. cpgrad08

cpgrad08 Member

dscaver likes this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

cpgrad08 likes this.
  9. Rusty blade

Nice looking razor. I have one just like it...I am sure it will give you a lot of great shaves for a lifetime. These pieces are timeless. As for cleaning the blade holder...Steve's advice is spot on...warm water and dish soap.

hippiebrian and cpgrad08 like this.
  10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy096: Great score!

cpgrad08 likes this.
  11. cpgrad08

cpgrad08 Member

I will try that.

12. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

image.jpg Very mild razor for me even with a Feather blade. Shaves great. Nice score with the box and blades. I used mine in the SOTD today. It was perfect out of the box.

GDCarrington likes this.
  13. gms541

gms541 Member

I have a '41 Ranger Tech, my birth year. It's very mild, but doesn't seem to be as close as my R89.

14. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Well-Known Member

I have a couple Techs and love them. In fact, seeing I'm going on vacation next month and am taking the 60's Tech, it will be my 30 day focus next month. Enjoy!

15. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

Good looking razor, cleaned up very well. Would not worry about the price, you will probably have it the rest of your life. I have one like it and is part of my rotation.

Dave

16. Gordy

Gordy Well-Known Member

Best DE shave I get is a Tech and Feather blade combination. The Ball End is a lovely tool but my personal favourite is the Fat Handle. Just bought a Thin Handle this week in fact.

BJHawk1 and Bradley Buckeye like this.
  17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The one you are describing is not the classic 3 piece tech. That is a TTO model. Gillette briefly named two TTO models "Tech" but that did not last long 1941 and 1946. That one was morphed (the head assembly only) into the Super Speed in 1947.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...ess-info-you-probably-dont-need-to-know.8468/

Here is the other Gillette TTO with the name "Tech" which was made in 1940.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/regally-rare-gillette-regent.34442/