Newbie from NYC

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by GRB722, Apr 17, 2014.

1. GRB722

GRB722 New Member

Greetings all!
    Sometime last year I bought a generic DE from Hong Kong that I saw posted on a deal website. It had good reviews on Amazon so I bought it. It's been sitting in my medicine cabinet unused for months until I somehow wandered onto this forum and after trolling around for a while decided it was time to 'pamper' myself. I've been using a Braun electric lately that, I have to admit gives me a very good shave, but I just like the idea of a shave being an "experience" not something I have to do. ( I can't go a day without shaving for work, my beard just grows to fast).
    I've been using that cheap razor for the past week, I had bought Astra's and some TOBS, and really enjoy my 'ritual'. I do though, as I have read, have to get the technique down. My Edwin Jagger De86bl was delivered today so I'm excited about tomorrows shave figuring that my $4 razor is probably not the best to start with.
    I will admit that I have been cheating. My neck has always had trouble with ATG shaving using razors, so I've been using the Braun after my shave to get rid of the stubble until I figure this all out.
    All in all I look forward to learning what I can from all of you already here.

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to TSD!

3. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Den! It only gets better from here.

4. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

6. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Welcome from an ex New Yorker. I was out on LI for 40 years and am up in New England now...

7. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Welcome to The Shave Den, I hope you enjoy your stay! :)

8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Welcome!

9. lobomalo72

lobomalo72 Member

Hello there and welcome to the Den..

10. GRB722

GRB722 New Member

Well I got my Edwin Jagger De86bl and I have to say what a difference from my cheap Hong Kong razor. As soon as I opened the box and saw the design of the Jagger I realized how cheaply, and badly, made the Hong Kong was. It went right into the trash. The shave with the Jagger was effortless feeling. I'm glad I took the advice from the forums here and chose it as a good first 'real' DE.

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Here is the advice I received when I started with a DE and so I freely give it to new users. The most important things in shaving are, your skin and technique. All other things fall in line behind those two things and to support them. Since the skin is a given fixed item, the next major item is technique. It is called THE 30 DAY RULE.

THE 30 DAY RULE is as follows: Find a razor, then a blade that will not cause issues with your skin (that may take a few different blades in a sampler pack to find a suitable choice or it maybe the first out of the gate) and select a soap or cream that is easy to generate good lather. Once you find those, and it may take a couple of weeks to find this combination, order a quantity of that blade, enough for 30 days, and then spend 30 days using nothing else until you build up your technique. (Note that only one brand blade is used for 30 days after each blade in the sampler pack is tested to make the decision on the blade brand to use for 30 days.) The 30 day clock starts when you have the right blade for you.

After 30 days, change one and only one variable and work for another week then change another after another week. At that point you should be able to make better decisions because your technique is now in place.

This will help you to avoid buying too much gear and stuff too soon without having the technique down to enjoy it all.

Cheers.

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

Bama Samurai likes this.
  12. Badger-Face

Badger-Face Well-Known Member

13. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Welcome, enjoy the Jagger!

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den! :signs046:

15. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Welcome

16. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Welcome to TSD!

17. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Welcome to TSD !

18. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

Welcome! Make sure to check out Pasteur's Pharmacy. Wet shave Heaven!!!!
    they have 2 locations in the city. one @ 34th St. between Madison and Lex, the second is on Lex & 61st?
    they have everything you could ask for, and you get to touch, smell, feel, and see everything. It's better than ordering online and wondering...

19. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

Welcome! Enjoy the adventure

20. natal000

natal000 Active Member

I just visited Pasteur's again today and if this place was not awesome enough, they have added Catie's Bubbles, Chisled Face, Crown King, Omega S Brushes, Le Pere Lucien, Panna Crema, I Colonali, The Phoenix Double OCC Razor from P.A.A., Crown King Brushes and Saponificio Varesino including the 75th Anniversary Soap and the Aftershave to their already incredible arsenal of products. Simply Awesome Place!