Did our fathers have only one razor?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Rusty blade, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

As I look at my collection of 12+ vintage Gillettes and new razors I reflect on the fact my father only one razor, his Executive. Did your father only have one razor? Or did he have a few razors from which to choose?

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Only one and it was AN ELECTRIC! :eek:

3. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Yes, my father had one razor; a Gillette Trac II, and later an Atra. The Trac II is mine now.
    I know he also used to have a DE razor before, but I don't know what type, and he must not have kept it.

Bama Samurai and wristwatchb like this.
  4. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

I've thought about this myself. My father and grandfather would call me an idiot (or worse) for owning 20 razors, 400 blades, 15 soaps/creams, etc. I can't even print what they'd call me for debating with other men the merits of lavender vs. sandalwood, which aftershave balm works best, etc.. My dad had one razor, and I believe it was a Super Speed Flare Tip.

5. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

I'm fairly confident that the idea of having more than one razor was invented by those of us that have transformed the act of shaving into a hobby.

I still have only one DE razor after several years wetshaving. I'm sure I'll eventually add one or two more, but I don't plan on taking it beyond that.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Yup. One razor. I talk to my 84 year old Uncle weekly in South Dakato and have talked to him about shaving, he's amazed that I have as much gear as I do! He said he'd keep one razor, blades, one brush, one soap, and maybe two aftershaves.
    The only time he would upgrade is when one of the boys started to shave, he would give the boy his razor and he would go buy a latest Gillette.

7. DaveTheWave81

DaveTheWave81 Member

Dad had one injector and an electric. I can't remember the brands.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Dad had electrics (ususally Norelco and Remington)

Bama Samurai likes this.
  9. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

Grandpa has one razor. I saw him with a Tech. Dad had two razors. He used a 47/50 SS, which I have, and used a straight at the shop. I never did find it.

Greg W.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    Bama Samurai likes this.
  10. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

One slim and a can of Barbasol

Bama Samurai likes this.
  11. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

for as long as I can remember he has used a PAL Adjustable

Bama Samurai likes this.
  12. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

The only razor I remember my dad using was a Schick injector L1. It was sitting in the medicine cabinet when I started shaving and I used it for a while. Dad started using an electric Norelco, which is why that L1 was sitting there unused. My grandfather had a couple of flare tips including a black handle that my uncle claimed after my grandfather passed away.

13. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Yes, mine did.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

One Gillette DE razor for many years, and then my dad made the switch to cartridge shavers in the early 70s. Most of the time now he uses an electric as it is easier for him (he'll be 88 in December).

Bama Samurai likes this.
  15. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Well-Known Member

My Dad had a couple, one at home and one at my uncle's where I lived. He'd visit on weekends.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    My dad always had one razor at a time. My grandfather had several straights, a Rolls Razor, and some DE's.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  17. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Yes my dad only had one a Gillette slim twist and old spice mug.

I suppose the internet has made us want more razors as we get educated that the adverts we see in magazines and on TV are not the best way to shave, and we all end up chasing that better shave, years ago Gillette had Red, Blue and Black tips and adjustables so everybody could get the shave they wanted now the have just one razor that does it all??? (I know they carry a few razors in there lineups but I dont see much variation in aggression just an extra blade)

I would like to cut down my collection as I have way too much but I dont see that happening esp as I have added 4 straights and a slant this month and I dont use DE's anymore!!

Bama Samurai likes this.
  18. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

As I mentioned in my opening post...my earliest memories of my Dad shaving were with his Executive. He was an 'Old Spice' man, with a mug and soap and brush. Every Christmas I would buy him another bottle of Old Spice AS with money I would make with my newspaper route or part time job. Then in the 80s he made the switch to carts and Barbasol. Even though I know he saw shaving as a chore I never saw him unshaven. It was his daily ritual. And when he was dying in hospital I used to go in and get him up in his chair and get him cleaned up, give him a shave starting with a hot towel. He used to tell me how good it felt to have a good shave. Nice memories all around.

Actually I think he would appreciate my new found interest in wet shaving, and if he were still alive he would probably enjoy a good shave with a Gillette DE and brush and soap in a mug.

19. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

Just one. A DEvette, which was passed onto him from his father. My grandfather volunteered as a soldier in British Royal Navy during WW-II.

Bama Samurai and wristwatchb like this.
  20. KLF

KLF Doctorin

As long as I know, my granddad had one DE. My dad also one DE until he switched to disposable carts.

Bama Samurai likes this.