Not going back to a cartridge razor...ever

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Darrin, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Darrin

Darrin Member

I will probably never go back to a cartridge razor again. Shaves so good with a DE razor. Also I'm getting better at a straight edge razor (Feather SS, not a real straight razor). Haven't needed a blood transfusion yet.
    Brush: Omega 638 Silvertip badger hair
    Razor: Merkur 38 HD Long
    Blades: Feather.
    [​IMG]

2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Different tools for different folks. Enjoying your shave is about finding the tools that work for you. Glad you're on your way.

I never had an issue with my cartridge razor, and happily use it when travelling. But I also happily use my DE razor when I am at home :)

Darrin and engrsaks like this.
  3. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

Good to hear that you are finding yourself satisfied with one particular tool. In my case, Gillette's flagship razor i.e. fusion proglide, works very nicely and easily delivers 15 shaves per cartridge. You might not believe this, but whenever I invest in proglide cartridges, the hunger to search online for a new shaver and related products, fades away completely.After my switch into other shaving categories, I spent a lot of time online looking for various shavers and ended up spending more than usual. Now I'm recovering from it and proglide is helping me do it. Besides proglide, all other shavers slowly build up 'cumulative irritation' on my face, if I shave with them consistently. Atra is another great shaver, but I can't find its refills anymore at my retail stores and importing is just too impractical.

Anyway, have fun with your top acquisition.

Darrin likes this.
  4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

If proglide works for you then fine, but after the first few shaves with any razor over two blades, the first blade becomes dull and causes hacking on my face. So I decided not to try spending 10 - 12 extra shaves hacking up my face with a dull lead blade and several sharper blades doing more damage behind. Pass on the proglide.

If it works for you then enjoy!

Darrin likes this.
  5. engrsaks

Technique is the main factor in it. I used to get only 7 shaves per blade, adjusting my technique and blade maintenance routine, stretched it up to solid 15. If the blade is dull (whether DE or cartridge), I immediately get inflammations on the base of my whiskers at the neck region, indicating that they were pulled harder than usual. :)

Darrin likes this.
  6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well, the beard has something to do with it as well. Most of my blades get replaced at 4 shaves for just the reason I mentioned earlier. No need fooling around with a dull blade whether on in single or in tandem. Easier and more effective to chuck a $0.10 blade at 4 uses.

engrsaks likes this.
  7. engrsaks

Of course, like I said, it is good to hear when someone finds their perfect razor. :)

8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Darrin, OUTSTANDING!

Darrin likes this.
  9. Darrin

Darrin Member

Cartridge razors are fine. I still have Harry's razor and blades. I'm getting less skin irritation now that i know what I'm doing a little more with a DE and it just feels more nostalgic.
    Totally agree with what works.

Had my first straight razor shave at the barber shop the other day. Totally want to get a real straight razor now.
    Damn hobby is going to get me broke. Haha

Shaver X and GDCarrington like this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Yes, some folks end with a razor, blades, brush and lather and move on. Those are the ones that save money. The hobbists, not so much on the money savings, but it is a lot of fun!

barbersurgeon and Darrin like this.
  11. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the important part is that with traditional wetshaving, you get to choose how broke (or not). There are plenty of options from affordable to costly, basic to fancy. Glad to hear that you are enjoying your newfound discoveries! :)

priest2705 and Darrin like this.