New Whipped Dog Synthetic Ordered

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Jay S, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Jay S

Jay S Active Member

It's true that I've only been using soap and a brush to shave with since this past June and I'm spending some quality time with MWF but I've decided to try out a new brush. If you just look at the specs, the WD synthetic I ordered isn't much different than the Omega S-brush I received with my startup package from Maggards. They both sport a 24 mm knot but the WD brush lists a 65 mm loft vs the 51 mm loft of the Omega. Also the WD knot is considered to be a newer (better) synthetic fiber.

Since I only face lather, I'm looking for a brush that will pick up soap well, like the Omega, but has a slightly softer face feel. Sometimes I like the scritchy, exfoliating feel of the S-brush, other times I'd like a smoother feel.

I'm not interested in natural hair brushes at this time and Larry receives nothing but rave reviews. Let the waiting begin...

Enjoy the ride,
    Jay

RaZorBurn123 and GDCarrington like this.
  2. Jay S

Jay S Active Member

Looking back at the WD site, I'm wondering if the loft spec is for the unset knot. The page describing the handle states the knots are typically set 10 mm into the handle. This would leave a 55 mm loft, much more comparable to the 51 mm loft of the S-brush.

3. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Can not compare the S-Brush with WD
    The WD is softer and gives a differend feeling.

4. Jay S

Jay S Active Member

Hmmm, that sounds like a comparison to me!!!

Thanks,
    Jay

PLANofMAN and Omelmad like this.
  5. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

I am on the "scratch" side because that my skin says
    Keep in mind that are close to the "floppy" side but if your skin loves very soft brushes then my friend maybe WD is for you.

:)

Omelmad likes this.
  6. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I don't have a WD synthetic, but they have been very appealing to me

7. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Yep

8. molon_labe

molon_labe Member

I just recently received a WD synthetic with the 24mm knot. The loft is between 54mm and 55mm set at the standard depth. While it is not perfect (still a bit springy to me), it is by far my favorite synthetic I've used which includes an original Plisson, The Grooming Company, and the Satin Tip Purest. I have been getting better lathers with it than I get with my favorite boar brushes and it works great for face lathering, which I do exclusively. If it splayed just a bit easier I'd say it would be the perfect brush.

9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Order one, you won't regret it!

Omelmad likes this.
  10. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I Will someday. But right now im back robot buying stuff haha

11. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

If you think this one is springy, don't get the 30mm. I thought I would really enjoy it, but I'm finding it too stiff for my taste. I think it's going up on B/S/T soon and I'm going to pick up a 24mm instead. I have 3 synthetics right now. I have a 30mm/55mm WD, a 24mm/54mm Omega S Brush, and a 24mm/52mm Asylum Scanlon. Of the three the Scanlon is my favorite right now. It surprised me because as a head shaver I didn't expect to like the shorter loft as much. I like something with just a little more backbone than a good badger, but still easily splayed. The 30mm WD is just too dense for me. If you're a boar fan and love a lot of backbone combined with soft tips, then the 30mm synthetic might be the perfect brush for you.