Unboxing: The Wolfman!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Rui Marques

Rui Marques Well-Known Member

And i had to order one along with a handle.

clint64 and Darkbulb like this.
  2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Spotted this two new, to me, custom Wolfman handle design;
    [​IMG]

They are (left to right):
    - Stainless Steel (73gr)
    - Titanium (40gr) , and
    - Aluminum (20gr)

Pretty sweet.

Just some food for thought in case someone is on the waiting list and need yet another handle to consider as an option :)

{Photos courtesy of @molon_labe on Instagram :) )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Billyfergie and macaronus like this.
  3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

4. molon_labe

molon_labe Member

Thanks for sharing some of my pictures Darkbulb. An update to those weights, the titanium handle is 42g and the aluminum is 25g. In the shorter "stubby" handle designs, I much prefer the 2 lighter options to the SS which I found to be too heavy for such a small handle.

The 2nd WR1-OC I just received last week has the "+P" modification, increasing the blade gap from .63mm to .74mm. To the naked eye the difference is almost imperceptible (it's only a .13mm difference), but the razors feel and shave completely different. I have a fairly heavy beard with coarse/thick hair and very sensitive skin (most scented soaps burn my face and my lower neck is extremely easily irritated), and I much prefer the modified Wolfman razor. So much so that I decided to sell my standard WR1-OC after only 3 shaves with the new razor, because I'm not a collector and I knew right away I would probably never shave with the standard blad gap again. When paired with the lighter handles, the razor has an overall top-heavy balance to it which allows me to shave without using any pressure, and the increased aggression of the modified head does all the cutting which results in a super close shave without any irritation whatsoever. Ironically, I actually think the +P modification results in a more comfortable shave while still shaving more closely than the standard Wolfman. YMMV of course, but that's my personal experience.

Here are a few pictures I took showing the difference between the two bottom plates, and just how little difference there is. +P on the left, standard on the right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a small difference in the top caps as well.

[​IMG]

Billyfergie and Darkbulb like this.
  5. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Yeah, its amazing the small change can make to change the shaving characteristic's of a razor.... :chores016:
    Billy

PLANofMAN likes this.
  6. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

How did you know that you wanted it 15-20% more aggressive?

7. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Patience is a virtue but I don't think I could sleep until I gave her a test drive.

8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Me? I didn't I just know that generally I like a bit more aggressive razors and since James compared the unmodified one to be about a 5 on a Gillette Slim I decided to bump it up to what he said would be closer to a '7'. :)

Omelmad likes this.
  9. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

10. Morning Shave

Morning Shave Well-Known Member

Looks Great! use it the best of health!

11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Note: This thread is six months old :)

12. David Green

David Green Active Member

That is a work of art! Enjoy!

13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yeah, that best of health comment came about 4 months too late for you. :)

macaronus, Robyflexx and Darkbulb like this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Hey, I'll take a best-of-health wishes any day :)

Hm, been neglecting my Wolfman..I think I'll take it for a spin this week!

macaronus and Robyflexx like this.
  15. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Yeah that Wolfman Razor obviously causes gout. He should pif it to me to be safe. (The razor, not the gout)

macaronus, Robyflexx and Omelmad like this.
  16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

If you can believe it I am still feeling from that darn gout attack....sigh....'normally' symptoms lasts about three months for me. Not anywhere near as painful now thankfully. Still limp a bit. Luckily it only seems to flare up every two years or so.

17. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Coincidentally the Wolfman waiting list only opens up every two years or so as well. Seriously, glad it's some better. Did you ever get any sour cherry juice?

18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I did thanks. Downed quite a bit the GNC branded one. It might have helped with the pain the first few weeks so thanks for that.
    Anyway, life goes on :)

19. Omelmad

Hmm.. Smart. I think I used my slim on 7 too with great results.

How is it to have a dual head? I like to use both sides of a razor when I shave, and appreciate both sides being the same. But if I'm gonna buy such an expensive razor I think I would want it to have both OP and CC, best of both worlds

20. Omelmad

Ah man... I'm sold!