In praise of Stirling Soaps...

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Razor Blade X, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

I tried the island man but something in it really really messed me up burned my face made me sick for bout four hours. It's blue so I don't know about what's in it. I would like to try another soap from them myself. Never had a soap to do this to me.

2. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Glacial Lemon Chill is the ultimate summer shave. Frigid cold, great lemon scent, and of course great performance. I have the soap and the witch hazel and aloe splash and don't recommend using both if you need to run out the door. It will take a couple of minutes for your eyes to stop watering.

Paul Turner, crackstar and RayC1993 like this.
  3. RayC1993

RayC1993 Well-Known Member

+1 for the glacials :) I have the Wintergreen soap splash and witch hazel... Makes a grown man cry.

crackstar and FatherofSquirrel like this.
  4. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

Has the price gone up on these pucks? I saw a video from 2014 that said it was going for a little over $1 per ounce but now the cheapest I am seeing it is about $9-$10 per 4oz puck.

5. ezlovan

ezlovan Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Please let me know where you're seeing that. Most of our pucks are in between $7 and $8 for a 4.5 ounce puck (we don't have any 4 ounce). We do have the 5.8 ounce jars that range mostly between $11-$12. If someone else is selling our stuff, I would definitely like to know.

crackstar likes this.
  6. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

Here you go. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=261983589328&alt=web

DLuxuryBarber seems to have a lot of stuff they are selling of Stirlings. I found at least 5 different scents.

7. ezlovan

ezlovan Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks. They are an authorized reseller, but I was unaware that it was being put on ebay.

The prices are definitely different on our website.

8. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

Well at $9 with free shipping, it could cut into online sales. I have a best offer accepted on what would cost $7.75 plus shipping ($5) directly from the source.

9. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

Let's just say it is definitely worth your time and $ to buy directly from Stirling. Always happy and surprised with every purchase. Many here on TSD would agree.

crackstar, Spyder and Chuck F like this.
  10. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

I have no doubt that the customer service would be excellent. I am planning on ordering Friday because I have heard so much good stuff about the company.

Paul Turner likes this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Rumor has it there are a few (3) pucks of Stirling for sale by someone here…

:innocent

FatherofSquirrel likes this.
  12. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

Let's work it out.

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

You can see what is available under the TSD classifieds section.

14. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

I can't PM for some reason, but I will take the stirling soaps if it is ok to pay on Friday.

15. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

16. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

Got my three in the mail yesterday from @HolyRollah. Thanks bud!

17. Razor Blade X

Razor Blade X Active Member

Robyflexx and Bobcat like this.
  18. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Ben Franklin gets my vote, but just barely. The Frozen Tundra, Glacial Spearmint and Wintergreen, and Barber Shop are all awesome, too. I haven't tried one I didn't like.

As a side note, I have been using the Scots Pine bath soap, and this is great. I wish I had another bar or two of this. The scent is great (better than the shave soap version IMO), and it leaves your skin feeling great. My wife really likes it, too.

Robyflexx likes this.
  19. molon_labe

molon_labe Member

Not sure if you've settled on some new scents yet, but my favorites are Stirling Spice, Ben Franklin, Ozark Mountain, Bay Rum, Gin & Tonic, and Glastonbury.

RayC1993 likes this.
  20. molon_labe

molon_labe Member

Over the past 2 months or so I've almost exclusively used Stirling Soaps and I've been through quite a few scents so far. Let me know if anyone has any questions about any of these: Spice, Ozark Mountain, Coniferous, Scots Pine, Tea Tree, Bay Rum, Ben Franklin, Glastonbury, Gin & Tonic, Sharp Dressed Man, Executive Man, Barbershop, Margaritas in the Arctic, Vanilla Sandalwood, Tuscany, Pig Trail (bath bar), Naked & Smooth (unscented), and Unscented Beeswax.

I have sensitive skin and unfortunately all of the fragrance oil scents either burned or tingled while using them, so I am limited on which scented shave soaps I can get away with. However, all of the essential oil formulas worked perfectly and give me zero irritation, surprisingly this also includes Bay Rum (which I absolutely hated at first but it has evolved into one of my favorite scents).

I also find the aftershave balms and splashes to be fantastic, the splashes in particular because their scents are more "pure" due to not having the soap to contend with the scent. Stirling splashes are one of the few alcohol based aftershaves I can use because of all the healing qualities in the formula, they don't dry out my skin. My absolute favorite scent is the Stirling Spice aftershave splash, it's a dead match to vintage Shulton Old Spice aftershave. However, I don't like the Spice bath bar and the shave soap is nice, but not exactly the same scent (and it also burns my face). Executive Man AS is also very nice as a cologne-type scent, it is my wife's favorite and she jokingly told me she would "punch me in the face if she caught me trying to wear it to work" haha. Maybe she wasn't joking, but it definitely has "that affect" on her.

My favorite soap of the EO scents that I have is probably Ben Franklin. It's another one I did not care for when I first got it; it is complex but once you get it "figured out" it is actually a very intriguing scent that I can't help but take a whiff of every time I see the jar. I will probably primarily use Bay Rum throughout the cold months, it is very heavy on the cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove, and it reminds me a lot of Christmas time. For those of you who like refreshingly tart and citrusy scents, I can't recommend Gin & Tonic highly enough. The juniper berry gives it a very tart top note, almost like fresh cranberries if you've ever eaten those, and then it's followed by the lime and lemon citrus bottom notes. This is a perfect summer scent and the description on the Stirling website of being "the most refreshing soap in the world" is probably true.

Honorable mention of the scents I liked but couldn't use due to the FO are barbershop, MITA, and Ozark Mountain. Glastonbury is nice as well, but I think it is more of an "acquired taste" kind of scent.