Aftershave dissipation time

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by AWS, Sep 7, 2015.

1. AWS

AWS Member

In your experience, how long do the scent of after shave applications like Trumper's Coral Skin Food and any of the Art of Shaving aftershave balms/lotions last (I.e. How soon thereafter can you apply another aftershave scent which might otherwise clash with it)?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

It's variable per product. Coral Skin Food lasts a fair amount of time, although it doesn't have strong projection. The sandalwood Skin Food last longer, but is still fairly modest in its projection. The lime Skin Food dissipates almost immediately. While you get a slight hit of lime right at the outset, it is almost completely gone within a few minutes; therefore, it almost functions like an unscented application.

AOS again varies per scent. Their sandalwood sticks around quite a while. The lavender has less duration. Lemon again is very quick.

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    My experience with GFT Limes Skin Food is that the scent is all but disappeared after 30 minutes.

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

If you have an issue with the clash of fragrances, try Witch Hazel as an aftershave.

5. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

You can also try layering scents from the same product line. Although balms and splashes in the same product line vary in fragrance, my experience has taught they seldom clash. As Jerry-built Hustler so astutely noted, many balms are essentially unscented very quickly after application. Also, scents are broken down into 'families', Oriental, Floral, etc. You can experiment with blending different products in the same family. Sometimes family mixing can also produce great results. Best wishes on your journey.

Jerry-built Hustler likes this.
  6. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I tend to reapply a/s thru out the day. some last longer than others, so it depends on what is being used. I will sometimes use several different aftershaves thru the day. Havent tried AOS or GFT skin food so im not sure about the scent projection and longevity of these products.

7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I don't like to apply another AS to my original one(after hours of usage, that is). I do find that Clubman original lasts into the evening. Haven't tried AOS or Trumper's.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I don't worry about scents clashing.

My shampoo has a different scent than my
    Shower soap that has a different scent than my
    Preshave oil that has a different scent than my
    Shave soap that has a different scent than my
    Aftershave that has a different scent than my
    Cologne that has a different scent than my
    Antiperspirent/deodorant.

One, no way I could afford to buy matching stuff.
    B, no one has ever said I smell funny. Believe me when I say I have friends who wouldn't hesitate to speak up. I hope you have such friends.
    Third, when I come homefrom work and hug my wife, she tells me I smell good. Bottom line, she's the only one who matters.

Jasio78 and Paul Turner like this.
  9. damnitgoose

damnitgoose Well-Known Member

99% of the time, your Aftershave splash will get you about 2-3 hours or less.

There are a couple brands which will get you roughly 6-8 hours, but the projection is very minimal. i.e Barrister & Mann Alcohol Splashes, PAA AS/EdC

Balms will get you <1 Hour scent

Soaps will usually be <1 hour of scent, unless you are using a soap that is scented from the actual cologne i.e RR SMdF and SMN Creme. These go a bit farther, but there is minimal projection

I like to coordinate my colognes with my aftershave, just to avoid that 1-2 hours of odd scent mixes.

Fine Platinum w/ Creed Aventus/ St. James Mandarin & Patchouli (Citrus)
    SMN Cream or RR SMDF w/ Folsom & Co Shady Past w/ SMN Tuscano Tobacco Cologne

There is no reason really that this is needed other than that i like to have a theme

10. Jasio78

Jasio78 Well-Known Member

I use coral skin food every day. Love it. But once it's dried and done its bit, about 10 mins, I throw on any aftershave I fancy. I'm with @swarden43, I've never felt the need to try matching scents. I'm sure there are a few out there that might not work. But my collection isn't big enough to worry about.

As for longevity. Tabac is my all time longest a/s. For lasting scent.