Gem micromatic date

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by N00bie, Sep 10, 2015.

1. N00bie

N00bie Active Member

Just bought one and I am curious on a way to find the date. I've read that they don't use date codes like Gillette, but I'd like to at least get an accurate year range if possible.

Ijustmissedthe50s and NapalmCola like this.
  2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I believe they started around 1929 and made them into the 40's. There were more than one model of Micromatic. Can you post some pictures?

NapalmCola likes this.
  3. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

@mrchick
    Ask and ye shall receive.....I'm sure you will find that the OCMM is the most aggressive, and a closer shaver you'd be hard pressed to find....The Clog Pruf is about as aggressive only the guard bar renders it quite user friendly, only don't be lulled into over relaxing as it still is most efficient...And the final model micromatic, the Flying Wing or Bullet Tip as it's known in the vernacular of the streets, is by far the mildest. It's blade exposure being quite similar to the Feather Weight.

The open comb micromatic (1930): image.jpg
    The Clog Pruf micromatic (1941): image.jpg
    The FlyingWing or Bullet Tip Micromatic (1947): image.jpg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  4. mrchick

I've been shaving with my OC Micromatic this week and it is definitely aggressive!
    I would still like to see pics of the razor the OP has

NapalmCola and Billyfergie like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    If you find your MM aggressive, I am thinking you haven't found the correct angle/pressure. The MM takes a very shallow angle with the head nearly flat on your face and little to no pressure. I have the MMOC, the MMCP, and the MMBT. Another thing to consider is the blade. If you are using utility or box cutter blades, they do not provide a friendly shave.

6. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good points!

Billyfergie and Jayaruh like this.
  7. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Yeah...The OCMM is not a very aggressive razor....Like this gentleman suggested, its down to the correct shaving angle and indeed the Clog Pruf is equally aggressive but easier to use....;)
    There has been too much made of the OCMM..... :chores016:
    Billy

jmudrick, Douglas Carey and Jayaruh like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    My MMBT is my favorite of the MMs. It is my birth era razor (1947). I had two at one point, but I traded one to @RayC1993 and he is now a SE convert. If I am not mistaken, the micromatics were the first of the twist to open razors. They were well built, and many wet shavers are finding that the MMs are capable of fantastic shaves.
    I also agree with Billy that perhaps too much is made of the OCMM. I believe the CP and BT were improvements on a good design.
    gembullettip7s.jpg

9. mrchick

I wasn't saying aggressive like its a bad thing
    I made the mistake on the first day with it of using too much pressure and opened up a few weepers. I lightened up since and have been getting good shaves. I agree about the angle. I still wouldn't call this thing mild. I'm using Gem shaving blades. Do you have another recommendation?

Billyfergie likes this.
  10. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
  11. Billyfergie

That's correct Sir...The OCMM & the Clog - Pruf are the self same design in every way except that the Clog - Pruf has a Guard Bar instead of an open comb and a couple of so called drainage holes....These two razors are equally as aggressive but the Clog - Pruf is more user friendly than the OCMM.....The Bullet Tip is a lovely razor, I love mine but its the mildest Gem SE that I have ever came across by a long shot....:chores016:

Billy

clint64 and mrchick like this.
  12. Billyfergie

The thing is about the OCMM is that its not so much an aggressive razor but its a brutal razor that can turn into a monster because it hasn't any Guard Bar or protection from its large blade exposure....The OCMM is actually a well behaved razor once you master the correct technique....:p

The OCMM should as per Gem instruction's should be used "Totally Flat Against the Face" and "no misses" here or it will tear the face from the user...One should also use a " Lighter than Light Touch" and it will behave itself very well...The OCMM was released on 1929 and marketed towards older generational SE & straight razor users that were used to shaving with lethal and often blunt blades....:cool:

That was why Gem introduced the Clog - Pruf with the Guard Bar design to make it easier for a younger generation to use as well as keeping the older generational OCMM users shaving with their time served product....Gems real intentions were to make the Clog - Pruf more user friendly to make it more appealing to a younger generation whilst retaining older users under the guise of marketing it as a New Improved Clog Proof OCMM...;)
    The OCMM & Clog - Pruf can be seen as the Open Comb & Closed Comb Micromatic.....:chores016:

Billy

13. N00bie

N00bie Active Member

I don't have it yet, it's shipped and on its way to me. These are from the eBay listing. It's an open comb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. mrchick

Thanks for the great info!

NapalmCola and Billyfergie like this.
  15. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I think the Clog Pruf is just about perfect in every way....But the OCMM was the first SE that I ever used...Hoosier Trooper Tom gifted me one, and I got a perfect shave the very first time I used it...Sooo, it holds a very special place in my shave cave...

But I didn't go into the shave totally unprepared. I had been reading posts about the angle and had watched a video by Mr. Guy. When the razor arrived I was amazed at what a pussycat this tiger could be. That commercial about the micromatic being a little barber with a blade is true. You hold the head flat against your cheek and as you make a downward stroke, lower the handle til you hear the whiskers being cut. Bingo! You can't, not get a great shave. The razor already holds the blade at the perfect angle in 5 places. So if you hold it close to flat, you can't not get a great shave. I was thinking it was great for beginners...But cats keep making the scene crying about one of these taking their faces off...I don't get it!

Heres that video btw:

16. N00bie

N00bie Active Member

How do you know it's a '47?

17. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I really don't. But, the MMBT was first introduced in 1947. So, I call it my birth era razor.

18. N00bie

N00bie Active Member

Ah, ok. I wish gem used date codes like Gillette.

NapalmCola likes this.
  19. N00bie

N00bie Active Member

So if im reading correctly, the original micromatic can be anywhere from 1930 to 1940?

Ijustmissedthe50s and NapalmCola like this.
  20. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

While we are on the topic of Gem micromatic razors. Does anyone recognize or know what the item in the blade area is ? I posted this same picture in the brush forum. It is my new ever ready I picked up today. I can take a closer picture of it if necessary. uploadfromtaptalk1442121818695.jpg

Hodge, PLANofMAN and Tdmsu like this.