Do you shave with something your father/grandfather owned?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Darkbulb, Sep 17, 2014.

1. BardicDruid

BardicDruid Active Member

I have my dad's late '30s Fromm SR and his '59 Fatboy along with his brush and mug, I also have my Granddad's Fromm SR but have no idea what has happened to his mug and brush.

KnockOut Shave and BigMark like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I can't confirm or deny(which drives me nuts, but what can I do). My dad and both grandfathers are deceased. I don't think my Dad used Clubman, because I was the one who introduced it to HIM. Yes, I was a teen-age Clubber.

3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

This mug was made by my grandmother for my grandfather. It held a puck of Williams or Colgate soap ( whichever was cheaper that day ) from about 1960 until his death in 1976. I don't use it for fear of breaking it, but it sits on the shelf where I can look at it and think of him. image.jpg image.jpg

4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

very nice memory

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

A lot of us would give half of our razors to have something that meaningful.
    Very nice.

6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Sadly, no.

7. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I have an old spice mug and a peerless nylon bristle brush of my grandfather. My father used cheap bar soap and whatever disposable was cheapest lathered right to his face no brush. He had skin like cast iron.

8. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

My Grandpa's 1912 is what started me down this rabbit hole. Here it is with two of his straights.

Vals razors.jpg

9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    My grandfather's strop from his barber days.
    [​IMG]

entropy1049 and cmorris357 like this.
  10. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Sometimes I use my dad's Trac II razor.

11. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I've recently got two of his old razors, which I appreciate more for its quality than coming from my grandfather.
    My grandfather and I was not particularly close. Not distant, but not close. I guess being among the youngest of ten grandkids, in addition to living a few hours away by boat was not the best way to form a relationship.
    He was a great guy in his own way without a bad word to his name, but we never managed to form a close bond. Or maybe we did and I grew out of it.

No matter the reason, but I have found myself not being too sentimental about the fact that I have two of his old razors.

My father on the other hand is a shaving heathen that only uses electric razors. I wouldn't want that even if he payed me to use one. Come shaveapocalypse, he will not be joining me in Shavehalla and that makes me sad

12. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

The only shaving item I have is a shave brush from my great-grandfather. Maker's mark worn off. Wish I could ID it! Only word I can make out looks like "Vulcanized"...

HEY BRUSH GURUS!!! Any ideas?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

More than ten years after his passing, I inherited my father's 1952 Gillette Black Tip Super Speed. It was one he purchased upon his return from the Korean War. My brother discovered it while cleaning out a family getaway in South Dakota, that was to be sold. He gave the razor to me. I proudly use it semi-regularly.

14. gms541

gms541 Member

I have my Dads' Schick Injector Razor. Don't know which model it is though. It has a navy blue handle and silver head.

15. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

My Dad keeps telling me he will be giving me his grandfather's straight razor when he finds it. In the mean time, I have given him a 52 Superspeed, and a 7o-something black handled superspeed.

16. GSlim66

GSlim66 Well-Known Member

I wish I had something my dad or either grandfather used. My dad was my last chance at something and I wanted his Gillette fatboy and Old Spice mug soo bad but when I asked him and my mom a few years ago. They did the worst thing ever. Threw them out. It really bums me out.

17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

18. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

Great Grandfather's Slim Adjustable

19. root_console

root_console Member

Nope. All got thrown away like trash. Not by myself of course.

20. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

I have my great grandfathers Henckels straight razor. I use it for special shaves and when I am feeling nostalgic. It's incredible and survived all my abuse over the years. I did also at one point have his strop and barber hone. They did not survive.