Anybody cut the cord?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by txskimo, Jun 11, 2015.

1. gms541

gms541 Member

I just bought a Roku 3 and finding more to watch with Netflix &
    Hulu+ at about $8/mo. each. I'm making a list of the cable programs that I watch, and so far there aren't enough to justify $95 a month. I get 8 local stations OTA plus some retro stations. The only thing that drives me nuts with Roku is that some stations are constantly re-loading while others do so rarely. The commercials don't bother me, just the re-loading. What's that all about?

RaZorBurn123, Mr. Shaverman and wmbjr like this.
  2. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Do they have an app to explain cricket?

RaZorBurn123 and wmbjr like this.
  3. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

cmorris357 likes this.
  4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

cmorris357 likes this.
  5. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

mrchick likes this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I can't help you with that! You're on your own.

7. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean by the re-loading, but I'm going to guess that since you just bought it that the channels are updating. They don't usually do that, but they do that when there are updates. Your Roku is probably just catching up to the current updates. If it still does that in a week you may want to call Roku support.

8. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

You have to know what a crumpet is before you can understand cricket.

mrchick likes this.
  9. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

We cut the cable last month. We have a Roku (buying another soon), Netflix, Hulu and Plex. Went from $75/mo to about $15.

So far it's been great!

Anyone else using Plex?

RaZorBurn123 and wmbjr like this.
  10. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

I used it for a while to handle movies from a NAS but never got it working on anything but one computer. Switched to media browser now emby. Probably need to go back to Plex and give it a try again

What are you using Plex for and on what devices?

11. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

Cool wmbjr!

You should check Plex again. I have a server setup on my iMac with media stored on an external HD. Plex now supports mobile streaming even over LTE. It's pretty rad! I use it to stream media on my iPhone, iPad, PC at work, and my son's Kindle Fire.

wmbjr likes this.
  12. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I use Plex to play some podcasts away from the computer, but that's about it. Not really sure what it woud/could be used for.

13. RaZorBurn123

I have HBO NOW free month and so far I think it's worth it. Well free but the $14.99 after.

14. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

I love Netflix. I am anti cable. Netflix has HD quality if you pay a little extra.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  15. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

I wanted to go the antenna and Netflix route, but this crazy town I live in has a rule...no antenna over 12 feet tall. Pretty much makes an antenna useless. I'm convinced an owner of the cable company is on the city council

16. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

17. RaZorBurn123

I get all of the local channels and some using this antenna. I'm also in the 10th largest city in the US.
    image.jpeg

Surlyduck likes this.
  18. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Okay @RaZorBurn123 , tell us more! It looks like a piece of pipe with PVC caps.

We've been off cable or satellite for at least 10 years now. I don't miss it at all. We can get all we want from Netflix or Amazon Prime. But, it would be nice to watch the Broncos on antenna for most games. I don't want to put an aerial on the new house.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  19. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

What is that....do tell....

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  20. Surlyduck

Surlyduck Member

I would also like to hear more about the antenna.

We've been with out cable for the last year. Sticking to Netflix and Hulu predominantly. The only thing that sucks is sports, thankfully we really only watch college football so watch espn app comes to the rescue. As for local channels because we are getting cable internet we get the basic cable free but when we had dsl there was nothing :(

RaZorBurn123 likes this.