It's official, I'm a Synthetic Brush guy now

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by gwsmallwood, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I really like my Whipped Dog synthetic. Just received a Satin Tip and it is a great performer also. The Omega S is used for dusting my work bench.

Mustache likes this.
  2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

A lot of the older synthetic brushes aren't that good in my experience. However, of the dozens of brushes in my collection, only two see any real use and they are both synthetic brushes. The newer synthetic brushes are great. I have been using a H.I.S. synthetic brush since June of 2012. Since then, all of my badger, boar, and horse hair brushes have been ignored. The only other brush that I have really used since then is a brush where I purchased an almost identical synthetic knot and put it in another brush's handle.

3. molon_labe

molon_labe Member

My WD 24mm synthetic has changed my opinion on synthetic brushes. My previous experience has been with a Plisson, The Grooming Company, and the Satin Tip. I'm currently doing a comparison between the WD 24mm and 4 other synthetic brushes I've put together myself. All of these knots are set in WD handles, because I like the handles and they are only $8 shipped. Once I've spent some time with each I will post a comparison and some pictures.

Chiseled Face 24mm "Fauxmere" Knot
    Chiseled Face 28mm "Fauxmere" Knot
    24mm Ubersoft 2 - "4th Gen" Knot
    24mm "Lights" Knot

4. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I am now a card carrying synthetic brush guy. My Plisson knot finally fell out of its handle so I'm replacing the handle. I'm stuck with a Semogue 1305 currently. The 1305 is a well regarded boar but ,compared to the Plisson ....

5. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Ok guys, some advice? What am I doing wrong? I find the synths to have low lather capacity, which seems to just flow right thru them, and while I can imagine them being ok for bowl lathering, I can't seem to figure out how to face lather one and add water while lathering without the water just draining right thru the brush - this just from the usual "dip the tips". So..., what is the secret to face lathering a synthetic? How do you overcome the lack of water retention?

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Squeeze the brush nearly dry, load it on the soap or cream, splash water on your face and proceed to lather. Repeat the face wetting between passes.

Omaney likes this.
  7. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

That.
    I'm strictly a face latherer and am really lost without my synth right now.

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Just soak your Semogue for 5-10 minutes before you shave, you'll be fine survive.

9. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Yeah. It soak in hot water during a shower. It gets at least 10 minutes.

It's amazing how such a little nit can put you off your day.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  10. molon_labe

molon_labe Member

In addition to what the other guys said, I also find it useful to "bloom" the puck for a few minutes by adding some hot water to the top. I then soak up the bloom water into the brush, squeeze the water out (leaving soap residue behind on the bristles), then load up the brush like you would any other brush. I also like to add a few drops of water to the puck as I'm loading, it gets the lather started right there in the soap jar/container and makes the face lather quicker and easier.

11. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

If you like Synthetic brushes the crown king ones are good for 20$.

12. recon813

recon813 New Member

Actually just used a new synthetic this morning... a blue handle Omega. The lather on one of my harder soaps appeared magically. Quite impressed.

13. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I never fell in love with the Semogue boars (tried two). I know they have a longer break in time than Omega knots, but every brush that still doesn't perform after a few weeks is not for me.