Brush restoration.

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by duffarmy, Oct 15, 2015.

1. duffarmy

duffarmy New Member

Who is the recommendation around here for sending your brush to for a restoration? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Easy enough to do it yourself. Many of us have.

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  3. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

:signs011:
    Ive restored several brushes and found it quite rewarding. I would recommend a couple practice cheapies first. I screwed up a really nice Rubberset handle when I got too aggresive with a dremel tool and it actually caught fire and melted:sad023::sad023:

NapalmCola likes this.
  4. duffarmy

duffarmy New Member

I thought about doing it myself, I've read the different post but the bottom of my handle is in rough shape to say the least. Here is a pic. What should I do for it? This belonged to my grandfather is why I asked about sending it off as I don't want to mess it up. [​IMG]

5. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Yeah if it's an heirloom that can't be replaced I would surely find a competant craftsman.

6. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Is it just me or is the bottom gone?

Do you have another angle?

InspiringK likes this.
  7. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Yea, looks like the bottom is gone and we're looking at the filler (maybe plaster of paris). Some people replace missing bottoms with fancy wood plugs but that's beyond my skill set. GDCarrington restores brushes but I haven't see him around much lately.

8. duffarmy

duffarmy New Member

Yes, the bottom is in fact gone. Here are a couple other pics. [​IMG][​IMG]

9. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

That would have made for a great youtub how to video ! To bad you didn't record it.

mylesc1234 likes this.
  10. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Firemen dont make a habit of publicizing "I caught this on fire by accident" videos. I'd never live it down at the firehall....:signs081:

Here's what I managed to save by running it under the tap.
    [​IMG]
    Im currently scouring the net looking for another top piece.

mylesc1234 and NapalmCola like this.
  11. Toypeu60

Toypeu60 New Member

U could also smooth the bottom by hand and then place a piece of thin metal plating over it fowl led by your favorite coin that fits the handle size

12. Toypeu60

Toypeu60 New Member

Smooth and clean the body pop in a new knot and be good to go for a long while

13. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

First thing I thought of this . Lol !!! uploadfromtaptalk1445009832562.jpg

For those of you who don't know who this is, take a minute out and look up fire marshal Bill on yu tube. It is Jim Carrey s very very old comedy.
    It is hilarious.
    uploadfromtaptalk1445009957467.jpeg

Hodge likes this.
  14. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

Another good reason to send the brush to someone else or get some practice in first: Those old nylon knots are a huge headache compared to natural fibres - not to mention they are also very prone to catching on fire. As Fire Marshall Bill might point out....

NapalmCola and Hodge like this.