Best/easiest soap for a newbie

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by AWS, Oct 5, 2015.

1. flaxton

flaxton Active Member

I use proraso crop and Palmolive shaving stick. Both are great for beginners. As you can lather the proraso in a bowl and the Palmolive stick on your face.

2. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

Soaps: Van Der Hagen Deluxe, Proraso (any color), Arko
    Cream: Proraso/C.O. Bigelow, Body Shop Maca Root, Taylor Of Old Bond's Street

3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Arko. If you cannot get a great lather with Arko, you best be growing a beard:)

Hodge likes this.
  4. Bymainer

Bymainer Active Member

I too am new, and have found a couple of things that work fairly well. 1) Razo Rock Zi Pep- easy lather (tried face, and bowl and both worked fine). 2) Catie's Bubbles LPV (great lather, also easy- holds up well). All lathers I have done have been over a Proraso pre shave green application and light rinse off.

5. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

You can't go wrong with Proraso (White is my favourite) and Nivea Original Shaving Cream...they practically lather themselves.

6. chrisbd

chrisbd Well-Known Member

+1 the Italian croaps. I'm a big fan of Cella, never had a problem, although some people have reported allergic reaction to it.

One of the easiest creams to lather (and cheapest) in my experience is Palmolive.

Regards,
    Chris

Munichjoe likes this.
  7. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I agree that it is more about technique than the soap itself. Some soaps are a bit easier to load than others, or less water sensitive, but with the right technique you should be able to lather up almost any product (as long as it is not total crap).

8. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

RazoRock. Any scent that catches your attention should work just fine.

9. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Proraso
    Razorock
    Cella
    Soap commander
    Tiki

10. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

Pretty much all the recommendations above; up here in Canada the easiest to access is Proraso cream or croap in Shoppers Drug marts, not sure about the states though. Cella is also good, as well as Razorock soaps, as they're at a lower price point. Catie's bubbles also lathers pretty easily, as does Shaver Heaven, although both of these will cost you a little more (although you get a lot of soap with CB).

11. mylesc1234

mylesc1234 Active Member

I'm very new myself and I agree that Co Bigelow is a very easy to lather cream and I get great results with it

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That was my first thought. Proraso is a great soap that is easy to lather and lasts a long time. Cool, but not freezing...
    C.O. Bigelow is made by Proraso and is available at Bath and Body Works. Great stuff.

gmaugie007 likes this.
  13. damnitgoose

damnitgoose Well-Known Member

St. James of London Cream. All of it smells amazing, It is most definitely the best performing cream for under $30. Also, it is beautifully packaged. Highly recommended

Hodge likes this.
  14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that you're attributing the lather quality to the brush. The Semogue 1305 is all I use ( except my knot fell out yesterday:( )
    I give the brush one shake and can make enough lather for a three pass shave on a horse with most soaps, with the exception of Williams. As one poster eluded to; get a little aggressive when loading your brush. Happy to hear that you found something that works for you.

15. Any Proraso soap in the tub. My preference is Red or Green. Tabac is great all a round and easy to get top notch lather. Lastly, my new Razorock Mudder Focker is the easiest loading soap I have used. It actually surprised me how much soap loaded up into the bristles with hardly any effort. This makes lathering so much easier and should help get you started with developing your technique. Had I started with this soap, I probably would have had a couple fewer nicks early on!

16. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

Kiss my Face. Easy, fantastic, loads of good ingredients.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Caties will lather for a dummy

clint64 likes this.
  18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Great cream, I agree. Do they make a soap? OP was asking about soaps.
    I'd even get their soap.

19. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

They make bath soaps that are literally just saponified olive oil and salt.

20. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

Prep and technique,soak brush and bloom harder pucks and they will be ready when done with shower. Soft soaps no bloom needed but still soak brush,shake or squeeze excess water out of brush before loading. Dr. Jons is another good soft soap that lathers volumptuously.