1.5 years in and used a disposable.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by mikewood, Oct 21, 2015.

1. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I have been shaving with various DEs, soaps and brushes for the past year. I went on an emergency business trip so I grabbed a cheap disposable razors and some Gillette foamy. The first thing that got me was how hard you have to press to get blade contact. Secondly how rough the shave was. No glide, not smooth, I am chattering the blade across my face. The result was ok. Nothing great. Little razor burn. Bu lunch the stubble was evident so the shave didn't last half the day.

I remember why I hated shaving on the weekend. It's lame! The whole experience was a chore.

That's ok. I am planning Saturday's shave. It's going to be Eucris, high mountain brush and the senator with feather blade.

2. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

sounds unfortunate. Do you not have a travel kit?

hobbitofny likes this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I am glad you survived.

hobbitofny likes this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I know the feeling. My last business trip I finally decided to take my DE and I'm glad I did. I can't shave with the disposables without cutting myself.

hobbitofny likes this.
  5. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

This reminds me that I need to get my travel kit in order so I am not rushed and grabbing a cartridge for my shave. Saturday sounds like a great shave to look forward to at least!

hobbitofny likes this.
  6. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Yeah, I've used carts/disposables while traveling too and have a similar experience, however, I was surprised that it was as good as it was. They work but nowhere near as efficient as DEs. Also, nowhere as classy.

hobbitofny likes this.
  7. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

The scars, both physical and emotional, will heal in time. In the meantime it can be helpful to go to Italian Barber and order a few things... ;)

RainmanJH, PLANofMAN, Omaney and 3 others like this.
  8. mikewood

I do but since I can't carry on a DE blade and didn't wish to check it I might as well not take the "travel razor" which is a super speed and try to find a blade. There was not time to mail a blade ahead to the hotel. I guess I could try my travel brush and cream with the disposable when I get back.

9. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

You should consider a Gillette Guard for your travel kit.

tuxxdk and mikewood like this.
  10. mikewood

Looks promising. Will give them a try.

11. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Why do people always use foam with a disposable? They don't melt if you use soap and brush ;)