What you say about ...Edwin Jagger or Merkur for beginner with sensitive skin ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gwynblade, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Gwynblade

Gwynblade New Member

What should i buy ?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    Dzia Dzia likes this.
  2. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

First of all I wish to welcome you to TSD.:signs046:
    I started with both (EJ 89L; Merkur 34cHD) because I liked the reviews for both and I was not disappointed in either. Get a sampler blade package and try different blades. They make a difference. Read all you can here. Maybe do the 30 day focus. Learn your whisker pattern. Take your time and enjoy some relaxing me time in front of the mirror.
    Your avatar shows you in a military field jacket. Are you currently serving?

Robyflexx and Double Edge Dougy like this.
  3. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Both razors are solid for anyone...especially a beginner... i started with the merkur 180 long handle and i love it...but i also really enjoy the edwin jagger de89

Dzia Dzia and Justin Linker like this.
  4. Gwynblade

Gwynblade New Member

Thanks
    I am realy happy to be here )

Robyflexx and Dzia Dzia like this.
  5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD "Gwynblade"

I have both razors and either is a good choice, as both razors IMO are relatively mild and shave comparably. That said I would vote for the EJ89. My reason is the 3 piece EJ has more versatility in that you can swap handles for a different shave experience(in general a heavier handle=more aggressive, lighter= milder shave plus the advantage of being able to try different knurling for a different/better grip). With the 2 piece Merkur the handle you have is what your stuck with, with the EJ any number of handle options are available from vintage to modern.
    I would also advise getting as many sample blade packs as you can, so you can try many different blades, the blade can make all the difference! Also important for sensitive skin or any skin for that matter, is a good preshave routine.:happy088:

6. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

I also started with the Merkur 180 Long Handle. Love it to death to this day. It's also known as Merkur 23C

7. Gwynblade

Gwynblade New Member

Ok
    Now ))) the 89 l or Faux Ebony ?

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, welcome!
    The one you like the looks of. Don't let others make decisions of taste for you :)

178-bplatoon and Dzia Dzia like this.
  9. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

I love adjustables. You can change the setting to your mood, blade, or skin. The Merkur Progress is so good I have to push myself to use one of my dozen other razors.

Jim99 and Dzia Dzia like this.
  10. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

They're both fantastic beginner razors, because the geometry is pretty intuitive, efficient, and mild. The Edwin Jag is supposed to be an improvement on the Merkur 34C head design, but I prefer the 34C style. Both are cheap on Amazon Prime right now.

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I really like the Edwin Jagger. It provides great shaves and looks great in any of its variations. For me, the merkur 34c is a close 2nd it terms of quality. The choice is yours.

Enjoy!

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  12. dcc

dcc Well-Known Member

Merkur 34c,better balance than EJ/Muhle

Jim99 and Dzia Dzia like this.
  13. Gwynblade

Gwynblade New Member

Thank you all

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I have the bl the completely smooth handle, I'd advise against that one. For me, at least, it's overly slick in wet and soapy hands.:) Other than that get the one that pushes your buttons, as I said one of the advantages to a 3 piece is handle interchangeability.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    Gwynblade likes this.
  15. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I have the lined handle and it provides a decent grip when wet.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  16. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I have both the EJ 89 extra grip and the Merkur 34c, Both heads are about the same as far as aggressiveness. Both are fairly mild razors and great for the beginner, using the right blade. Definitely get a Sample Pack of Blades. Any razor you choose from a Weishi (very mild) to a Muhle R41 ( very aggressive) and any in between, Its your personal choice. This site might help decide what fits you. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Blade_Gap
    Personally, I like my Weber PH and definitely Gillette Adjustables.

Gwynblade likes this.
  17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The trick is to not allow soap to get on your hands or the razor handle. I have the chrome Merkur Futur, a completely smooth handle. Wet hands, no problem. Just don't get soap on it. I've never had a problem.

tuxxdk and Gwynblade like this.
  18. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I have both. My first razor was a 34C. If I had to do it again I'd pick the 34C.

19. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

I bought an EJ then i went to Maggards and bought two handles from the seconds bin.then i bought a R41 head and now all parts are interchangeable.
    Other than that, the EJ89 is about the nicest looking, feeling razor around. Fit and finish is second to none. very forgiving razor.

178-bplatoon and Gwynblade like this.
  20. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

Parker 97r. I liked it way better than the 34c when I started out.