Need recommendations on a larger synthetic brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by shaver862, Oct 18, 2015.

1. shaver862

shaver862 New Member

The brush on right is synthetic and I like it but I just wish the bristles were longer and more bushy like the brush on the left. Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'd go with Stirling Soaps synthetic 26mm knot, it's a fantastic brush! It should be back in stock very soon.

Boojum1 likes this.
  3. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

A synthetic is not going to bloom out like a boar or badger. The former does not absorb water like the later two causing the natural hairs bloom.

4. shaver862

shaver862 New Member

Ok? I just want a larger synthetic brush to what I have

5. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Frank Shaving Pur-Tech,it's 26-27mm
    I have it, isn't something great,don't compare the size of a Boar with the size of a Synthetic.
    A 24-25mm Omega is a Winner !

6. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

The Edwin Jagger XL 25mm is also another option, or the Whipped Dog 30mm synthetic might be the largest one you can get.

7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

If you like the S brush you have, you can get one in the Pro size.

8. Brushfire

Brushfire Member

I agree with RazorBurn that the 26mm "kong" synthetic brush from Stirling Soap is a great brush at a great price!

9. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

The Fine Synthetic brush is very nice and has a nice loft, the Omega brushes are a great deal and I would recommend both as they have earned a place in my den.

10. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:signs011:

Stirling_Synthetic_26mm_Brush__15952.1438035415.800.800.jpg

MObigfoot and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  11. DanElHombre

DanElHombre Member

The Stirling 26mm is now back in stock. I just got one, and I do like it. That sucker is huge.

MObigfoot likes this.
  12. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

If I liked big brushes I would get a Whipped dog synthetic. I love my 20mm one and I may end up with a big 30mm one someday just to try and have stolen by my fiance.

13. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

H.I.S. (at least the original) 28mm and pretty darn nice knot, IMO.

14. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Has anybody tried the WD 30mm? If so, what loft did you go with. Trying to decide on the standard, 5mm or 10mm sink.

15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/diy-synthetic-brush-showdown-choosing-your-knot.47145/

I've owned both the H.I.S. brush and Stirling's "Kong" brush. I found both to be too large for my tastes. I prefer a 23-24mm knot for Synthetics. I can see why some people would want a large synthetic brush. They are luxurious feeling and give good face coverage.

Between the two, the original H.I.S. brush had a more comfortable handle, and uses a later generation of synthetic hair. I understand that the current H.I.S. brush uses the same size handle, with a smaller knot. A pity, otherwise I would recommend that one.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  16. PickledNorthern

I have that knot in a 30 at standard, (I think it's standard, it's about a 60, you could ask Larry), and a 28 with a loft of about 55. I wouldn't worry so much about needing a deeper set on these bigger knots. They are so dense to begin with, the flop isn't such a worry on them. Flop isn't so much their problem as splay. I like them both, they are just kind of beasts. Use a ton of soap. They are fun to use though.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  17. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Thanks. I like splay and good backbone. Larry's website says the standard is 70mm.

18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Franks Shaving 30 mm is a monster big brush that is firm but soft as it gets

19. PickledNorthern

70 is the total height of the knot. You have to subtract the depth f the set in the handle which I believe is 10 mm for standard.

20. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

when I got my WD brush he was sold out on the 30mm. Are they back in stock?