After 50 years of shaving I used an SE today

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by 90quattrcoupe, Oct 26, 2015.

1. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

It is a 1912 model Ever-Ready. I got it a week ago, but had trouble finding blades at local Walgreens. Had to travel a ways. Fortunately, they have stock shown on their website for various stores.

Obviously, I had to hold the handle of the razor at a different angle than I do my Gillettes. But it went smoothly, and I came out with a nice close shave and no irritation or weepers. The only area that was tough, was at the nostrils of the nose. The long comb exposure prevented me from getting hairs in that area. Had to do a clean up with a Fat Tech. It is a mild razor, but cut 3 day growth very well. One WTG and one ATG pass.

Even though the blade sticks out farther from the top cap, than on a Gillette, it is further back from the edge of the comb. The blade gap on my Ever-Ready, is .015in. This matches up close to my 47/49 Fat Handle tech or a setting of 4 on my Super Adjustable.

I will use the razor again. It was nice.

Greg W.

2. flaxton

flaxton Active Member

I am glad you enjoyed it.

3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I usually catch under my nose, first by making my face as long as I can( on the n/s pass) then by going at an angle. sorta parallel with the ear to chin.

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Shaving the upper lip with the 1912 is easy if you use the technique in the Micromatic instructions.
    [​IMG]

labrax, txskimo, PLANofMAN and 5 others like this.
  5. willc

willc Member

I just got a Gem Junior and a Valet Auto Strop and I love the shaves they give.
    Yes it does require a bit of technique change but not much.
    After a few weeks of SE shaving I've yet to shed blood, with DE shaving it was the norm to get at least one nick.
    Just the feel and feedback I get from SE shaving makes it feel more natural to me.

twhite, Billyfergie and Jayaruh like this.
  6. 90quattrcoupe

Shaving the upper lip, was not the problem. Right at the nostril is where the problem, laid. The comb just has too much exposure to allow the razor to but the hair right at the nostril.

Greg W.

Billyfergie likes this.
  7. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

I've found 10 packs of GEM SS PTFE blades at Bed Bath and Beyond for $3.99.

twhite, labrax and Herm2502 like this.
  8. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Some of the 1912s (Star is one) don't have those ears on the side ends of the comb, so it's easier to get right up into those nostrils :eek:...But by holding the tip of my nose up and to each side I've learned to shave each nostril edge....

I've found the ER 1924 is very easy to manuver this area.....This Shovel headed lovely is like a sports car....:happy088:

Congrats on your Maiden Voyage here on the Sharp Side...I'm a big lover of SEs...Please post some pics of your 1912 over at the SE & Injector Party Thread...slide up to the Bar with that lovely razor and I'll tell the bartender to give you both complimentary shots of Menthol your first time....}8^))
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/injector-se-party.23113/page-176

Billyfergie and clint64 like this.
  9. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

Who reads the manual? Any manual? ;)

txskimo and clint64 like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have learned over the years that manuals generally contain useful information you might not otherwise pick up on. And, if it is from China or some other non English speaking country, they can be quite entertaining.

11. 90quattrcoupe

Either I got bad blades or something. When I tried to use my Gem with a Walgreens Gem blade in it, it was the worse shave I have had in my entire life. The first shave was good, the second shave on that razor blades was ridiculous.

I finish my shave with the 3 times used blade in my Black Beauty.

Greg W.

12. 24Fanatic365

24Fanatic365 Active Member

I get great shaves with my 1912s, but I definitely agree with Bird Lives about the 1924 Shovel Head's maneuverability. It's in a class all its own, IMHO.

13. shave/brush

shave/brush Active Member

I too get great shaves with my 1912 but I really love my 1914. Some say it is aggressive but I find it very smooth and close shaving. I liked it so much I just ordered another one. It's my favorite razor now.

Billyfergie likes this.
  14. labrax

labrax Member

I just shaved 2x today with a 1912 Ever-Ready I received as a throw in with a brush or DE purchase. Fantastic shave. Didn't need to shave again in evening, but wanted to try it again for giggles.

Billyfergie likes this.
  15. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Glad you enjoyed the 1912 Sir...As mentioned above there are far more sophisticated SEs out there...Its a Deep Rabbit Hole...;)
    Billy..:chores016:

labrax likes this.
  16. labrax

labrax Member

I purchased a GEM Micromatic OC this afternoon. Heard it is a bit more aggressive from posts I have read. A 1914, a 1924 or a Clog Proof will be what I look for next.

17. labrax

labrax Member

And thank you Billy for the comments!

Billyfergie likes this.
  18. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

The OCMM has an Awesome reputation in some Forums and I can understand why Sir....The OCMM is about middle of the road in terms of aggressiveness but its takes a lot of skill to use without tearing ones face off...The Open Comb offers little or no protection and it requires a very light touch....The Gem Clog Pruf is basically a Closed Comb/Guard Bar version of the OCMM and is equally as aggressive but a lot more user friendly...The 1924 & 1914 are more aggressive than the OCMM in my humble opinion..:)
    Billy...:chores016:

19. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

I have over a dozen SE's and love them all----use them more often than DE's. They shave closer than the DE's and I can get 10 or more shaves per blade---3 with DE's.

Jayaruh and Billyfergie like this.
  20. labrax

labrax Member

I have been using a number of SE's over the past month 1914, 1924, Gem Jr., G-Bar and the MMOC. was able to get stainless GEM coated blades too. Great shaves from all. Think the MMOC and 1914 may be my favorites, or at least current favorites. Great shaves.

Got a 'G' and 'I' injector razors and a 'E' version on the way. These are great single edge shavers too.

So many options, so many good shaves. Going to have to use Propecia with aftershave to promote beard growth.....

Jayaruh and Billyfergie like this.