Captains choice anyone?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Joef, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

From reading about bar rums here I decided to get a bottle of captains choice....love it. With the no variation November coming up I need to decide on a soap. Has anyone tried cc soaps? There also going to be releasing a aftershave balm in November....if the soaps good, I might just have a whole set lined up.

2. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

I love Captain's Choice Bay Rum -- but their Cat-0-nine-tails is truly special. It has a scent quite similar to the CCBR, but there's something else involved in the aroma that makes it a bit more complex, and the after-burn is remarkably pleasant! I have not tried the Captain's Bay Rum soap, but an earlier version offered by RazoRock I found disappointing.

If I were to choose a single shaving product brand to stick with for an entire month (or longer) it would be Tabac.

dscaver, RaZorBurn123 and Joef like this.
  3. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

The last order I got from cc came with a small sample of the soap. I tried it once and it was super easy to get a lather. As for performance, I'm not sure...I'm so new, my technique is week still and still trying to keep a good angle (sound familiar ). I do know I had great luck with wsp soap...probably my best shaves were with it, but that could have been luck. I have a 20 credit with Amazon that I was going to burn on cc but was hoping someone here tried it so it's not wasted.

Mike Brown and opsimath like this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Cat-O-Nine-Tails is no joke! I actually love it. Feel the burn..:angry021:

Joef and opsimath like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I have the CC Bay Rum. Nice Bay Rum scent. The performance is a solid B. There are better Bay Rum soaps out there.

Joef likes this.
  6. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

I have a small sample bottle of that too....I might have to give it a shot tomorrow. I love the bay rum, sounds like I'll probably love that one even more. The only sample they didn't send was the sandalwood. The lime ever smells great which I didn't think I would like at all.

opsimath and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  7. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I had a bottle of Captain's Choice bay rum but the wife hated the scent. She thought it reminded her too much of Christmas. I liked it but I tossed it in with a razor I traded with a fellow member.

RaZorBurn123 and Joef like this.
  8. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I have a sample of CC Lime and it is great stuff. Haven't tried the soap yet, i almost got a tub the last time i was at Maggard's, but some bay rum's burn my face so i would have to try a sample first before i get a whole tub.

Joef likes this.
  9. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

I tried the sample of the lime soap today....great soap. I like my wsp t soap more but I think once I get use to building a later with it, it might just perform almost as good. Thing I added a little too much water. DOH!

10. Dubs

Dubs Well-Known Member

I agree with that ^^. C09T scent lasts longer and is a bit more robust, although I can't tell a distinct difference in the scent itself. For me, it was like CC Bay Rum on steroids. Nothing more, nothing less.

As for CC shaving soap...yep, I PIF'd the Bay Rum shaving soap I had to a close friend of mine. The soap is soft. Very soft. It lathers very well and with minimal water. It has a bit of an oily sheen and the lather was VERY "soft" on my face. It felt good. I felt CC shave soap was plenty moisturizing (see oily sheen) but it did not ever leave any type of oily residue on my face. The slickness was in the neighborhood of TSD and Stirling Soaps but not in the higher slickness realm of Mama Bear soaps - for me (YMMV). I wish the Cap'n had made the scent a bit stronger, as CC Bay Rum scent is single handedly responsible for me even liking the Bay Rum scent. If I was gonna buy a puck of Bay Rum soap, I'd opt for the Stirling as the scent is stronger and may even be a tad more slick than CC. Again, YMMV. I'm sure water type has a lot to do with my opinions and experiences.

Ksblazer and Joef like this.
  11. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I now have three Captain's Choice soaps: Bay Rum, Sandalwood, and North. I love them all. Some of the best lather from any soap I've tried, and I've tried a lot. They are very slick and provide for a great shave. I have very hard well water and these soaps still give me a great lather. They are all in my regular rotation.

Mike Brown, Matt0210 and Ksblazer like this.