SoS: November 2, 2015 - November 8, 2015

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

SOTD for Monday Nov 2nd.....................

Nivea Sensitive Shave Cream lathered in Becker scuttle w/Vie-Long 12705 Horse Hair
    '48-50 Gillette Aristocrat w/7 o'clock Sharp Edge
    Witch hazel rinse & Nivea Sensitive Balm
    Finish w/Barbasol Pacific Rush A/S

2-passes w/touch-up for a near BBS!

151102.JPG

Tdmsu, Herm2502, vwp528 and 25 others like this.
  2. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Gem Feather Weight razor
    Gem Blue Star blade
    Omega 10066 brush
    Vintage Williams SS
    Osage Rub/Jason's Aloe Gel
    Pinaud Lime Sec cologne w/added menthol

I'd used a Feather Weight before but with a stainless blade. That series of shaves didn't work well, not uncomfortable but not effective. The Blue Star blade made quite a difference in the use of the Feather Weight. Got a close, comfortable shave and with some more practice I'm sure that the shaves will improve a lot. And I"ve said it before but the Vintage Williams SS is the bomb! Now go enjoy your day folks.

Tdmsu, Herm2502, moz68 and 22 others like this.
  3. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Monday

Prep: Warm Shower-Stirling Bath Soap-Scots Pine Sheep
    Soap: Maggard Platinum-Northern Moss (sample)
    Razor: Gillette Slim
    Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
    Brush: Ever-Ready C40/Whipped Dog Silvertip-22mmx60mm
    Aftershave: Country Club-Southern Oud

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

Maggard Northern Moss today. 20 seconds to load the WD Silvertip. Easy, thick, slick, lather. Gillette Platinum in the Slim. Excellent smooth, close, shave. I finished with CC Southern Oud.

FYI-Northern Moss is mentholated.

I love this brush too! Thanks JR Reyes for the help with the handle!! Great face latherer!

Bob

[​IMG]

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    SOTD: Monday, November 2
    Mike's Peppermint & Rosemary
    Simpson 3 "Chubby" Manchurian
    '48 - '50 Gillette Aristocrat
    Polsilver SI (3)
    Vintage English Leather AS
    [​IMG]
    Have a great day!

5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Wonderful photo. The new razor looks fantastic.

6. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

[​IMG]
    Monday Evening Shave
    Razor:
    Gillette Tech on Star Handle
    Blade: Isana Men
    Brush: Isana Men Pure Badger
    Soap: Proraso White
    Cologne: Selin Grapefruit&Pomegranate

7. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

2 November 2015

* Weber DLC + WRH3 Aluminum
    * Iridium Super
    * WSP Stubby 2-Band + Oscar11 AquaMarine C7
    * Barrister & Mann Bay Rum
    * Unrefined Shea Butter
    * Bergamot/Vetiver EO

[​IMG]

8. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

Wonderful photo!

9. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Menthol Monday
    warm shower/cold water shave
    Vie-Long Lord Randal white horsehair
    Proraso PPC :love029::love029::love055::love055::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:
    Stirling Frozen Tundra :love029::love029::love055::love055::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:
    Joris 1912T/Gillette Wilkie (1)
    Bloc Osma
    Tend Skin
    Can You Handlebar BDO
    Stirling Glacial Wintergreen WH :love029::love029::love055::love055::angry021::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:
    Imaginary Authors Cape Heartache

A nice and frosty start to the week!!!

Stay frosty,my friends! :cool:

10. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

Sweet brush!.....................

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

MENTHOL MONDAY
    Sweet day-off shave using the reliable Friodur and menthol-bombed MWF; finished with TSD iced A/S milk. Three pass DFS+!
    Have a great Monday, all!

[​IMG]

12. Primotenore

Article Team
    Thank you Clint. The Aristocrat seems to require a shallower angle, similar to my Feather. When found, however, it provides a comfortable and close shave.

13. Primotenore

Article Team
    Thanks. It's almost bigger than my face ;)

14. Primotenore

Article Team
    You can't hide that beautiful brush my friend.

15. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

today's shave
    menthol Monday
    hot water wash with nuetrogena men's invigorating face wash and a washcloth
    Surrey white/ silver tip
    BOMBED soap commander vision
    Merkur progress(3.5)
    persona lab(4)
    ICED Aqua Velva ice blue
    menthol Monday was wonderfully cool. face wash, bomb, vision, ice blue. all cool. progress on 3.5 with three passes,home run hitter.
    great shave.
    hope y'all did as well, or better.
    20151102_105307.jpg
    how bout them Broncos, I was actually worried about the pack, wow.

16. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

With some business air travel coming up I test drove my GEM Featherweight. I figure they are easy to replace if confiscated and smooth enough that cutting myself isn't a serious risk. This was a PIF to me some months ago and my first shave with it was surprisingly awful. As a result, it has sat unused and unloved. Partway into the first pass today I decided to change the blade (which was only one shave old) and it made a huge difference. An enjoyable shave with a DFS result. Yup, it's going into the travel bag. :happy088:

T&H Ultimate Comfort PSO
    Savile Row 3824
    AOS Lavender Cream
    GEM Featherweight
    GEM SS (2)/GEM SS PTFE (1)
    T&H Classic After Shave Balm

GEM Featherweight.JPG

Happy shaving - Karl

17. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Thank you for your kind words, gentlemen! :)

18. moz68

moz68 Well-Known Member

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

That is a beauty of a man-sized brush! I'm not much of a 'brush guy' but I do appreciate the finer models when I see them!
    Enjoy that lovely Aristo, too! I had an early Aristocrat (1941) that was a beauty to behold, but had a nasty habit of biting.

vwp528, PatrickA51, Rufus T. and 5 others like this.
  20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

NOVember
    November 1

Razor - [​IMG]Blade - [​IMG]Brush - [​IMG]Soap - [​IMG]Post - Cold compress, Alum, Nivea Original Post Shave Balm

Onward and forward to day two. Same setup as it will be all month. My cut from yesterday appears to have healed fairly well but I'm aware it's there so will be careful in that area to try avoiding opening it again. Gave the brush an extra couple of shakes today after soaking the puck for about 10 minutes and got a really nice result. Less foam, more brush load and it began making that thick and slick MWF lather on the puck. So, lots of cushy lather to keep me safe. That's the theory anyway.

First pass on the right as always, set the blade flat and angled for cut then held it. I'm being cognizant of the angle at all times as well as never never never never never never sliding across for even the tiniest microsecond. Finished the right face and neck with a really comfortable pass and no issues. I was able to work over yesterday's cut with the lather and not create a problem at all. Feeling pretty confident here. Took a minute and went to the left, using the Japanese technique. That felt more comfortable today than yesterday and I got a good result on the first pass. Around the goatee on that side got a bit tricky but I got it finally. Not perfect but that's not the point yet. Went down the neck and watched my hand position as I moved toward the ear. I didn't realize how far I work the blade toward my hand in order to get the angle on the left side that far back. If I slip I may lose a thumb.

Rinsed and went for the second pass, XTG or sometimes DTG (diagonally to the grain) with this razor. Made good progress. Did have two tiny nicks on the right cheekbone area but nothing that one quick press with my finger didn't close up. That's an area I sometimes do that in. The neck is tricky on this pass as is the left side, especially up against the goatee. Managed to complete the pass with no blood but not totally happy with the result. So, one more time. Lathered up again and hit the face first. I can actually call the face DFS. And, no blood. Worked on the right neck and got CCS. Good enough. Went under the chin down the neck and, yep, there you go. A nice cut right against the goatee line under my chin. What happened? I have a tendency to land the blade vertically along the goatee to avoid cutting into it, then rolling the razor toward my skin to set the angle. It's not a bad technique.......as long as you use NO pressure. I applied pressure when I rolled the blade which caused it to grab and cut just before it slid down my neck. Can't do that again. Stopped to check the damage, not too bad for me and finished the left side to a CCS. Used cold towel pressure on the chin for a bit and it was done bleeding. Hit the alum and......on my face it was HOT. On my neck it was jump around and cuss and throw things hot. WOW! Two days and it's heating up it seems. My neck was hot red. Used the Nivea liberally to help cool it off.

Overall I can't complain because of the setup. It will improve day by day, hopefully with less blood as I go along. I'm calling the finish a CCS. But that's acceptable right now. Happy Monday everyone!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.