So what are we all into besides shaving?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by BigCabDaddy, Nov 7, 2015.

1. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

I haven't taken to an online community like I have this one in a long, long time. I mean there's always Facebook but it's... different. I can see this becoming a home base of sorts from early impressions.

I ran across the Pipe of the Day thread which thrills me to no end. I'm wondering what other commonalities might be out there. Here's a list of mine in no particular order:
    • Motorcycling. And there is an order to this one since it's a primary interest of mine. With winter setting in though, it goes on the shelf sadly. Anyway, I presently ride a 2013 Honda F6B and would love to have a naked, first gen Goldwing for around town as well. (Just don't tell my wife.)
    • Vintage motorcycle helmet restoration. A nichy thing I've only done a couple of times, but I do follow the world of "boutique" helmets.
    • Music. Hey, with a name like Glenn Miller how can it not be right? I both listen and participate. Primary genres are Americana of all sorts -- trad jazz to folk to country to roots rock. And yes, I do love all forms of swing including big band including my namesake. There isn't much I haven't listened to at one time or another.
    • Along with music, guitar collecting (electric and acoustic) and basses. I more focussed on bass collecting because it used to be cheaper but not so much now.
    • Recording. I haven't done that much but I love it when I do.
    • Hi fi. This has really been dormant since we started having kids. Tube amps just aren't practical with inquiring little fingers.
    • In place of hi fi, I've gotten into head fi that past couple years. That is, the hobby of listening to music through really, really good headphones and in ear monitors. I don't go crazy with it like some people but let's just say I'm well beyond Apple earbuds.
    • Photography. I've been a professional photographer in past lives. (Musician too.) Today I really just play around with my iPhone for the most part having recently sold my serious street photography camera. (I haven't had a DSLR kit in several years.) I've also made a couple motorcycle trip videos that can be found on YouTube. I'd like to do more of those. It isn't lost on me that there are a lot of shavers on YouTube, but because there are so many already, I wonder if the world really needs another.
    • Writing. Like a lot of these other things, it goes in fits and spurts. It isn't possible to keep all these plates spending at the same time. But this month is NaNoWriMo and as a former winner, I'm obligated to make an effort every November at the very least.
    • Model trains and a train fan in general. The modeling part mostly lies dormant as I've never committed the time and space to a layout. But I sell weathered cars on ebay from time to time, I go looking for trains to photograph from time to time, and I made a point of devoting vacation time to going to Railfest in North Platte, Nebraska this year. How many folks can say that, huh?
    • Aquariums and Betta fish. This after having been revived earlier this year is dying a slow death. I hope to stabilize with only a couple tanks. It's just too much work with everything else I love to do.
    • Outdoor pond and gardening. See the immediate above. But it's a big interest of my wife's so it's an opportunity for together time. (She makes the same accomodation with motorcycling.)
    • I guess I got to put an African Grey parrot named Minerva on the list too. I don't think of her as a hobby, but as any honest bird owner will tell you, they are such a commitment that effort needs to be acknowledged.
    • Pipe smoking of course. This is one I really haven't been active in for a great many years. But come every fall, I smoke a couple bowls a week and reminisce fondly over my drawer of pipes and accessories.
    • Finally, video games! Mostly MMO and turn based strategy ones.
    Looking it over I'm astounded at my own list! And I didn't even include things like sports. (Go Broncos!) So what do we have in common, huh?

*** I see wristwatchB has already like this message reminding I'm milding interested in watches too though I've got nowhere near the funds to say I'm really "into" it.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  2. Paul6506

Paul6506 Well-Known Member

3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I enjoy the NBA, tobacco and tobacco pipes, reading/writing , my dogs, and music of all types.

wristwatchb, Kizurra and BigCabDaddy like this.
  4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I love crafty hobbies like scrapbooking, and making soaps, lotions & lip balms. (This hobby includes some shaving stuff.) I also like refinishing wood furniture, though it isn't something I have many chances to do. My more social hobbies include tournament archery and growing Bonsai trees. These are social, in so far as I belong to clubs for each.

5. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Shotgunning, Used to be clays more. Now I mostly shoot at birds as part of dog training. (not my dog, he's too old) I reload some in 16ga, so that's hobby like.

Auctions. I like to go to local auctions. I mostly buy gifts for family and friends. My mom collects blue flow china, so I buy pieces to give her birthdays, mother's day, etc. I collect usable vintage cast iron. I picked up a nice 2qt sauce pan with lid this weekend matter of fact. Need to strip it down and re season that one still. (I'll buy most things bird dog related too, art, knick-knacks, etc)

Auto Mechanics. I have a fairly modified car. I do almost all of my own service. Sometimes I will buy a project car and rehab it. Did a Head gasket/timing set job (and a bunch of other stuff) on on a Land Rover last year.

Cooking. I TRY to eat Paleo/Primal. Lately, I have fallen of the stone wheeled wagon. (Primal diet is almost a hobby in itself) I like to cook most of the time. Mostly stove top, saute', stews, grilling. Used to have a nice smoker and enjoyed that, but have not done much smoking in the last few years.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

In no particular order:

Teaching Bible Studies
    Pocket knives - my most recent interest
    Fountain Pens - have quite a few. I've stopped collecting but still use.
    NFL - a fan of the game first, Patriots fan second.
    Grilling & smoking
    Blues music - from Lightning Hopkins to Joe Bonamassa (T-Bone Walker on the CD as I type).
    Reading - not a lot, but I do like C. J. Box and his Joe Picket series when I do pick up a book.
    Antiques - shaving stuff seems to have dried up, thus the reason to shift gears and start collecting pocket knives.
    Walking in the woods

7. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

8. Paul6506

Paul6506 Well-Known Member

We tend to hold onto them longer than VW freshens them.

9. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

• Reading (Revolutionary War, Civil War, biographies, Batman graphic novels)
    • Music (studying conga and bass)
    • Storytelling

Kizurra and BigCabDaddy like this.
  10. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

Motorcycling, motorcycling, and more motorcycling. I ride a 2014 HD Road King. Ride all winter long doing the "Polar Bear" runs every Sunday. Heated gear is worth its weight in gold!

BigCabDaddy and Kizurra like this.
  11. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

• knives
    • robotics
    • STEM popularizing (think Carl Sagan, Dean Kamen, Einstein)
    • leather work
    • bushcraft/survival

BigCabDaddy and Kizurra like this.
  12. Dubs

Dubs Well-Known Member

Jeeps. I have a 2 Door 2014 wrangler Rubicon X Edition (soft top). I love Jeeps, not just wranglers. I could collect quite a few given the opportunity....

Fishing. I love fishing. I dont get to do enough of it, but plan to do so this spring.

Bicycling. I ride a mountain bike. I ride it long distance (40-50 miles on a paved bike path) and also ride it off road on bike trails (my favorite).

Fitness. I like to lift weights and very recently started liking jogging. Im not good at it but plan to incorporate jogging into my regular fitness routine.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  13. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

I gotta admit I'm a fair weather rider and I don't like gravel either. :smiley freezing:

Heloguy likes this.