Hello

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Shawn Hackett, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Welcome to TSD :)

2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Hello Shawn, and welcome to The Shave Den!

I use witch hazel and unrefined shea butter to reduce redness and bumps. I hope you find something that helps you.

Shawn Hackett and Robyflexx like this.
  3. Shawn Hackett

Shawn Hackett Member

I have already ordered the Witch Hazel. I'm sorry if this question is absolutely retarded but the shave soap I have has shea butter in it, is the soap enough or are you saying I should get shea butter as a separate product?

wristwatchb likes this.
  4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Shawn, I think using a soap with shea butter would be great. I actually use unrefined shea butter as a facial moisturizer after I apply witch hazel. I've been using this product after my shave (and again each evening) for the last couple of years, and it has really helped my skin. It also keeps my hands from drying out and cracking during the winter better than anything I've ever tried. You can find less expensive shea butter products if you shop around, but even with this product, the cost per application is minimal as a container lasts several months.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CM2AQE4/?tag=thshde-20

Robyflexx and Shawn Hackett like this.
  5. rustypixel

rustypixel Active Member

Welcome. I'm super new to DE shaving (5 shaves in) and new to the forum as well. While everything has worked out perfectly for me I can't pass along any tip other than hold back on the pressure. It was my first and, as far as I can tell, my only mistake (so far). I might not be good for tips but I AM good to pass along a couple of Personna blades if you're interested. Damnit! I just realized I have to wait another 2 days for my next shave..

Shawn Hackett likes this.
  6. Shawn Hackett

Shawn Hackett Member

Thank you for the offer. I am unsure which blades are in the sample pack but would love to have some Personna blades if they aren't in the pack I am expecting.

7. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

I agree with what has been said. The Fatip is a great razor and well liked by the people who like and compare aggressive razors. It is always in the conversation on "how does this one compare to that one or a new one". The good news is, as far as aggressive razors go, you picked one of the smoother ones, some say it gives the smoothest of the often talked about aggressive shavers. Let it just contact your skin and trust that it is working, don't push it into your skin, just let it touch smooth and gentle. don't go against the grain either. fist with the grain and then across the grain. The WH will help you too. One more thing, I have a bottle of Proraso Green after shave and it has a light menthol and camphor in it, both of those help sooth skin and it smells very nice.

8. rustypixel

rustypixel Active Member

No worries. Just let me know and I'll be happy to send over a couple.

9. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

10. Monbonlupin

Monbonlupin Active Member

Welcome to the Den !

11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Welcome to TSD!

12. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

13. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Welcome!

14. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Welcome to TSD. I also use Astra SP and they are a great blade. First couple of shaves with a new blade it is quite sharp, but it smooths out for the next 3 or 4 shaves before you need to change. As for the redness...you might want to spend a bit more time focusing on your pre-shave routine. Either a hot shower or a hot facecloth to soften up your whiskers...and try applying some pre-shave oil. There are lots of home made recipes on the forum. A simple one is just equal parts of plain olive oil, grape seed oil and almond oil and some essential oils like lavender or rose. I find a pre-shave oil helps my neck in particular. And use Witch Hazel for your post shave. And try just plain coconut oil for a post-shave balm. Good luck!

15. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD! A lot of people like those dollar store aftershaves. Barbasol, Old Spice, Clubman, Skin Bracer, Aqua Velva, Brut, etc. I would recommend going to the store and finding one you like. There are also many great artisans that sell great products online as well. :signs046:

16. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

17. Shawn Hackett

Shawn Hackett Member

Thank you for the response. Thus far I have been splashing hot water on my face two or three times to prepare my face for shaving while I also soak my brush and soap. I haven't tried a hot towel yet but have also tried shaving directly after my shower with similar results to just splashing hot water. As for a pre-shave oil I have been using just olive oil as I don't currently have anything else to use or to add to it. I will add some of the oils you mentioned to my list of stuff to buy in the future along with coconut oil for a post-shave balm. Right now I'm using no post-shave balm. Basically I finish my shave and splash cold water on my face to remove any soap and stop some of the bleeding and pat it dry after a minute or two with a towel and then proceed to apply the aftershave.

18. Shawn Hackett

Shawn Hackett Member

UPDATE: I received my new razor, the Razorock Mission, and have shaved with it twice thus far using a brand new Astra blade. My first shave with it I decided to not worry so much about cutting myself and shaved a bit faster than I was using my Fatip razor. I had a few slight cuts but nothing close to the cuts I've had in the past using the Fatip very cautiously. Additionally I had a bit less redness and irritation on my neck. I still haven't been able to try Witch Hazel as the postal service seems to have mailed it to an incorrect carrier center. I've contacted the seller but no telling how long I will be waiting to hear back.

The second shave went even better then the first. Admittedly I was using the same blade as the first time so it was slightly duller. After three passes my face was BBS, however I still had some minor cuts and skin irritation on my neck.

Thanks to everyone for all the warm welcomes and advice/information. This is a truly great forum to be a member of!

19. Shawn Hackett

Shawn Hackett Member

I could swear that I read a post on this forum concerning the order in which to do specific things, however I'm unable to find that post now. I have an Alum block waiting for me at the post office, some Witch Hazel in transit from the seller, as well as some new aftershave. As I said in previous posts I use olive oil as a pre-shave lubricant but I'm unsure if I should use the Witch Hazel in my pre-shave ritual or is that something I should use post shave. If indeed I should use it post-shave should I put the Witch Hazel on after using the Alum block or before using it? I know my face is supposed to be wet to apply the Alum and I believe dry for the Witch Hazel?

Robyflexx likes this.
  20. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Welcome to the affliction!

Yeah astras are good blades but with blades what works for one guy may give another problems. Look at tryablade.com or similar sites and get a decent sampler pack and work through it using a journal and you'll find a blade you like.

Then try a few different soaps, VDH is ok but there are much better out there IMHO, look at Stirling, strop shoppe, Ginger's garden, Mitchell's Woolfat, tabac... And before you know it you have soap acquisition disorder. Lol

chrisbd likes this.