Last Pass...

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by AFWoody, Dec 8, 2015.

?

What is your final pass?

1. WTG

6.9%
  2. XTG

13.8%
  3. ATG

82.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. AFWoody

AFWoody Member

Hey guys. I have sensitive skin and I typically do a 3 pass shave, WTG, XTG, WTG. I always have good results, little to no irritation. I am contemplating to do 2nd XTG for my last pass to get a closer shave, please share any recommendations. How do you finish your shave, what is your last pass?

Robyflexx likes this.
  2. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I do wtg, atg, xtg I always thought I had sensitive skin because my atg pass always irritated my skin then I tried cold water shaving and it's been smooth shaven ever since. YMMV :)

Joef likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First pass WTG - with the grain
    Second pass XTG - across the grain
    Third pass ATG - against the grain

Every day, every time.

Should you do all three? All you can do is try and see if it works for you. Some folks can't make all three passes. Just the way it goes.
    Bottom line, it's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

178-bplatoon, Spyder, Joef and 2 others like this.
  4. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

XTG, rXTG and TU always.

5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I've always done the n-s, s-n,atg. so theoretically my down and up passes are in actuality across the grain passes. then finish against the grain.
    that's just how I get it done, maybe not textbook.

Tdmsu and Robyflexx like this.
  6. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I shave every day and normally also do three passes with most razors. First pass is WTG, then either XTG, XTG or XTG, ATG. I never have a problem with either XTG or ATG. So, give another XTG a try, but go lightly.

7. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I typically do a WTG, XTG and XTG with cella soap. Recently I stepped up my soap game to GEO F Trumper and RazoRock products and have been getting great results (with an R41 and Astra SP blades). It lets me go WTG, WTG ATG. I was really impressed with what a premium quality soap does for you if you have your technique down. If you don't have the skill a premium soap seems to hide mistakes do you cant bring your shaving around as easily.

Robyflexx likes this.
  8. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

My shave varies so much that it's hard to say but I do something like...1st pass WTG/xtg. I go in different directions for the first pass of a 2 pass shave...2nd pass ATG.
    With my Gillette New OC this week that was yesterday's shave. Today one pass ATG because it was basically just stubble.
    I rarely chase the baby. That comes by itself and it avoids irritation.
    What irritates me is when SWMBO wants me to take the dog out when I'm in the middle of my shave. :happy068:
    Always ATG for the last pass.

... To be continued...
    wine-3.GIF
    Don

Robyflexx likes this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Amen!

Joef and Robyflexx like this.
  10. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Depending on the razor, I either do 2 passes, WTG ATG for SE razors, and for DE razors, 3 passes if I don't want to be super smooth, WTG, XTG (lip to ear), ATG, or 4 passes if I have the time and can really focus on technique, WTG, XTG (lip to ear), RXTG (ear to lip), ATG. The ATG pass with a 3 pass shave has to be approached with caution, doing Gillette slides and not TRUE ATG in spots. With the 4 pass shave enough hair was removed in the RXTG pass to let me do a better ATG pass but it still has to be approached with caution on my neck, I have a tough beard and sensitive skin, not a good combo.

Robyflexx likes this.
  11. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Ditto.

12. rbtek1

rbtek1 Active Member

My facial hair isn't that thick and I also have sensitive skin. So I only do 2 passes which works perfect for me.
    WTG and finish with ATG.

Robyflexx likes this.
  13. AFWoody

AFWoody Member

Thanks guys.. I will give some of these a try, last pass RXTG and ATG.

rbtek1 and Robyflexx like this.
  14. AFWoody

AFWoody Member

Thanks. I will be sure not to chase the baby. Much appreciated.

15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Exactly....

16. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Two pass WTG, XTG
    Three pass WTG, ATG, XTG and if doing four pass finish WTG

Robyflexx likes this.
  17. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

:signs011:

18. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

2 passes - N/S which is basically WTG and then S/N basically ATG. Seven day a week shaver here.

19. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I do three passes WTG,XTG and ATG. I have coarse stubble that could be compared to 60 grit sandpaper.

20. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I do two passes ATG plus touchup. Touchup is usually chasing the circular around a spot on neck :) I always preshave with a hot wet washcloth.