What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Fenney Tally Ho…day 2 with the scuttle. Nice!
    [​IMG]

2. tonybee46

tonybee46 Well-Known Member

PUMA inox no 63
    [​IMG]

Have A Nice day

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Gong 7/8
    B & M Lavender black label
    Crown King switchback symthetic with the # 2 knot - have not figured out the water ratio yet
    Floid Blue
    12341439_965557433501874_6551438012863391986_n.jpg 12376585_965557413501876_685738234297422321_n.jpg

Kizurra, txskimo, HolyRollah and 5 others like this.
  4. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

How are you liking the CK Switchback Lou?

cubancigar2000 likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The 'Celebrated I Excel!' razor from George Wostenholm & Sons. I have to agree with the maker's label.
    This lovely old blade certainly excels at giving a truly wonderful, smooth shaving experience! Still going strong at nearly 130+ years old! :happy088: This and the Fenney Tally Ho used yesterday have managed to creep into my 'Top 5' razors I look forward to using!

[​IMG]

Kizurra, entropy1049, txskimo and 4 others like this.
  6. cubancigar2000

Glad you asked Mike - It aint no badger that's for sure. It is very different in that I have not figured out exactly how much water to load into the brush before loading it with soap. It is extremely soft and feels wonderful but so far I have too much water and it tends to stay in the bottom of the knot. Instead of working itself down to the tips when I face lather it drips out at the top of the handle. I really think I may end up liking it if I get past this learning curve. The handle I am in love with. Have not tried the # 1 knot yet

7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

My first shave with a straight
    [​IMG]

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

and………..?

Kizurra likes this.
  9. mrchick

It was fun. The razor shaved beautifully and was downright loud. My wife even noticed the sound and commented on it. I did a one pass shave WTG and only needed to do a little touch up with my Slim on the neck. I did get a weeper in front of my left ear. I'm looking forward to learning this razor. I think a month with my Feather AC did a good job prepping me for it.

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Excellent first outing!
    :happy096:
    I've posted a number of times how my first…oh…ten or so SR shaves were pretty rough and rather disappointing. Clean-up with a DE razor for the first month or so.

11. mrchick

That's what I did with the Feather. It took a few weeks before I quit cleaning up with a DE. I'll do the same here. Thanks.

Kizurra, txskimo and Drygulch like this.
  12. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Using the Feather AC first let me hit the ground running when I went to straights. I haven't looked back yet!

Kizurra, mrchick and txskimo like this.
  13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Running with a straight razor is NOT recommended! ;)
    [​IMG]

Kizurra, entropy1049, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  14. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Those synthetic knots just won't retain water and as a result, if damp at all when trying to apply lather, it just turns into a drippy mess.

Next time if your a bowl latherer, after you make your lather pull the lather out of the brush by pulling it across the side of the bowl, shake out all you can from the brush and then apply lather. If a face latherer, shake out brush as much as possible before working the lather on your face.

If I don't do this, I wind up with a chest and stomach covered in drippy lather.

Glad to hear you're liking the rest of the set up. It's on my short list.

cubancigar2000 and lindyhopper66 like this.
  15. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Ali's Blade custom Hoshi Tombo clone 500 layer hand forged Damascus
    Kanayama Cordovan #8000
    Shavemac Plexiglass Silvertip two band
    Jabonman Rosa De Bourbon
    Tom Ford Noir Balm
    Tom Ford Noir Edp

[​IMG]

16. rbtek1

rbtek1 Active Member

Razor: GEVOSO SS
    Brush: The Holy Black
    Soap: The Holy Black Gunpowder Spice
    Aftershave Tonic: The Holy Black Gunpowder Spice
    image.jpeg

17. tonybee46

tonybee46 Well-Known Member

Unknown 9/8 Hollow ground
    Noisy one this one

[​IMG]

Have a fine Sunday

Kizurra, mrchick, entropy1049 and 5 others like this.
  18. cubancigar2000

Hayashi diamond 1000
    Baum.be
    Brushcraft handle, FS 24mm silv tip ex dense
    Floid Vigoroso...
    Love my Japanese blades, just got this one back from Glen Mercurio for a scale repair, clean and hone
    20151213_061738_resized.jpg 20151213_061747_resized.jpg

Kizurra, tonybee46, mrchick and 6 others like this.
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

F. W. Engels 'Leader'
    [​IMG]

20. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Mike, I have badger, boar, horse and synthetic brushes and yet my go to brushes are synthetic. I don't soak my brush. I just run some water over it and shake it out. Then I do some swirls on the soap and as needed add drops of water onto the brush and go back to swirling. I think soaking and too much water is overkill. The synthetic works just fine...and you don't lose "hairs" from a synthetic brush. I find my large H.I.S. brush to be plenty soft, though not the same as a soft silvertip, for sure.