A slanted dilemma 37c and 39c not just short and long.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Red Rider, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

My first introduction razor to "new wet shaving" was a Merkur 37c short handle slant \ torque.
    I learned to shave the Merkur slant way by keeping the razor parallel to the face, no angle needed since the head design did that for you already.
    Liked the razor but felt the handle might be to short for the neck area.
    Soon, luck would have it that part of a package deal purchase included a longer version of the same razor the 39c. Thought now I had the perfect slant razor for me and testing began.
    The heads are the same between the 37c & 39c and only accounted for the handle length difference. Testing proved otherwise especially ATG, the 39c was not only longer but dramatically heavier too heavy on the handle for my comfort going sideways on the face.
    For me the razor now lacked balance. I liked the added length but not at the cost of weight.
    Full circle and back to using the preferred 37c as part of the rotation.

Merkur 37c vs 39c-Long Handle
    Handle Length 7.586 cm / 3 in vs 9.527 cm / 3.75 in
    Weight 75.4 g / 2.66 oz vs 111.8 g / 3.944 oz

39c is approx 40% heavier than the 37c while being only 22% longer.

N.B. I tend to use the 37c at the end of my DE blade sharpness \ lifespan. Something about the added twist and rigidity that extends the use of a otherwise used DE blade.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  2. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas New Member

I find your comment about no angle needed for the 37c interesting.

The 37c is my only razor and I have it now for over a decade but if it's used parallel to my face it will shave very little if anything. 30 degrees is about my angle which does the job day in day out

Red Rider likes this.
  3. Red Rider

Parallel might be an exaggeration but for me I find I need only a slight angle and no pressure. Less angle with the 39c but that could be due to the heavier weight.
    I have to be very cognitive about shaving around the Adam's apple with the slants and really watching my angle as I find they can nic easily for me.
    I'm sure if I spent more time using the 37c exclusively as opposed to once every week on a rotation I would correct these issues.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    Tdmsu and Robyflexx like this.
  4. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

I love the 39C aka Sledgehammer and always seem to get a very smooth irritation free shave ..i find it works extremely well using a steeper angle

Robyflexx, Joef, Tdmsu and 1 other person like this.
  5. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Thanks for the comparison. I've wondered which I would prefer, 37c or 39c. I'm finding I really like a heavy razor (Ikon 102 with OSS handle, for example). Might be the 39c for me.

Robyflexx and Red Rider like this.
  6. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I have used both and I preferred the 39c. I like heavy razors, but the comparison is not fair since I had the 37c when I did not have good enough technique - making it an inconsistent shaver. The 'hammer came later and I loved it.

Robyflexx, Herm2502 and Red Rider like this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Having had the opportunity to use both, I ended up preferring & purchasing the long-handle 39c—a very nice razor that I regret selling.

Red Rider, LuvWetShavin and Tdmsu like this.
  8. LuvWetShavin

I prefer (and enjoy) shaving with the 39C .. never had a uncomfortable shave with it and always able to achieve a near BBS in 2 passes. BTW ... it works best for me at a steep angle (handle pointing more towards ground)

Tdmsu and Red Rider like this.
  9. Herm2502

I just picked up a 39c on Amazon for under $40 with free shipping.

Tdmsu and Red Rider like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I had a 37c and liked it, but I traded it thinking I might get a 39c one day. I have found that I use the Gillette slide more and don't see the need for a slant.
    [​IMG]

Primotenore, Troy M and Jorvaljr like this.
  11. Herm2502

Got The Sledgehammer! A bit bigger than I thought. Can't wait to try it out! Thanks for helping me pick.
    [​IMG]

Tdmsu, Troy M, LuvWetShavin and 2 others like this.
  12. LuvWetShavin

Likely you will be amazed by this razor. It was my first slant and i was a bit nervous my first shave with it but it didn't take me long to realize how great a shave it gave. I found (YMMV) that i had best results using an angle with handle pointed more towards the ground .. i know i can do a wtg & xtg pass and get near bbs results with zero irritation. It's a very effecient razor ... just remember don't use any pressure and let weight of head do the work
    .. be checking back to see your results from your first shave with it

Troy M likes this.
  13. Herm2502

Thanks for the advice. The razor does look a bit intimidating. I have an Ikon 102 Slant, but the head design is completely different, tilted vs. twisted. The Merkur is in line behind 2 other new razors. I'll let you know what happens.

LuvWetShavin likes this.
  14. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

Strange with the slant. Upon aqcuiring it and after a few times use, I found it quite aggressive, struggling to get a comfortable shave. Having ventured further into the realms of lather building and shaving technique now (and, notably, with R41, MOngoose and some straight experience), going back to the 37c is smooth sailing on par with New OC, only more efficient. Quite pleased with the shorter handle, but haven't tried the 39.

Herm2502 likes this.
  15. Red Rider

I had a similar experience. My first shave with it was horrible, very aggressive. Once my technique improved and I matched up a good slick shave cream/soap it all fell into place. I have both as mentioned and prefer the balance of the 37c over the 39c.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    Herm2502 likes this.
  16. Herm2502

Finally got up the nerve for my "Sledgehammer" 39c. Tomorrow if you hear someone scream, I messed up LOL. Otherwise, I'm really looking forward to the shave.
    [​IMG]

Tdmsu, tuxxdk, Jorvaljr and 2 others like this.
  17. Red Rider

Ideal for me would be a longer handle on the 37c but not a heavier handle. I seldom use the 39c and find it to imbalanced handle vs head. Both have the same head.
    I believe the 37/39c having a slightly longer learning curve but once dialed in they provide close comfortable shaves. I find because of the added blade torque and cutting angle provided that I'm able to extend a blades use.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    Jorvaljr likes this.
  18. LuvWetShavin

Your going to be amazed how smooth it is .. don't be intimidated. I find it works best if you keep a steeper angle (handle pointed more towards floor) ... let us know how you like it :happy088:

Herm2502 and Tdmsu like this.
  19. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I just bought the 39C. Buy it, don't look back. It is my go to.

Tdmsu likes this.
  20. Herm2502

You are SOOO right! Today was my first shave with "The Sledgehammer". I must admit I was initially intimidated. I started apprehensively with a WTG pass. There was little feedback and it felt like I'd forgotten to put a blade in. I stopped and felt my face...it was already very smooth! I continued my shave with a 2nd XTG pass and a final ATG pass. I don't think I really needed the 3rd pass. This razor was one of the smoothest I've ever used. I "felt" very little...no blade...nothing but smoothness, but the efficiency was amazing. It's 12 hours later and the remaining "shave" would be quite acceptable. Heck, I've left the house for work with fresh shaves that weren't this close! I can't wait for tomorrow.

Here's a comparison pic with a Fat Boy and a DE89:

WP_20160221_20_10_22_Pro[1].jpg