Proraso Pre Shave

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by bigmac53, Feb 12, 2013.

1. bigmac53

bigmac53 Well-Known Member

So I just had my first experience with Proraso Pre shave, and I gotta say, the stuff is amazing. Not only did it really add a nice slickness to my shave but it literally numbed my face! That stuff has some serious menthol punch! I think it is safe to say that its now a permanent fixture in my routine! I knew it had a strong forum among wet shavers but I found it hard to beleive it would live up to the hype, noe I wish I got a larger tub!

Rusty blade and Robyflexx like this.
  2. DE/OMEGA76

DE/OMEGA76 New Member

3. DE/OMEGA76

DE/OMEGA76 New Member

Good stuff!!! That is the only pre shave I use. It is the camphor they put in the product that does the trick. The camphor warms the skin also softens the beard making the blade cut like a hot knife through butter! Enjoy happy shaves!!!

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. Grick

Grick Active Member

Tried it today for the first time. I applied a tiny amount and boy oh boy! I had the most amazing shave ever. It was very fast and smooth and it made my skin feel soft and supple. I barely felt the after shave. No stinging. Amazing stuff.

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. Robzilla

Robzilla Well-Known Member

I swear by it.

Robyflexx and Grick like this.
  6. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

I use it every single time I shave. I like it so much I don't want to try any others.

Robyflexx and Grick like this.
  7. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

i tried 3p, prep, proraso green tub, proraso white tub, and vitos......

prep and proraso seem similar...those two are my favorites too.

8. mattyb240

mattyb240 Active Member

I love it, can't say I notice if its there or not during my shave, but I love the smell and feeling as part of my prep.

9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

After using both Proraso and Jack Black,I've settled on Corn Huskers Lotion..:happy097: Seriously I find the CH works as well,isn't oily on my face,it's locally available,made in USA,it's slick and is ALOT cheaper per ounce. Worth giving a try just to see....:)

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Just curious, are you still using it?

11. bigmac53

Yup, still using it. Not every shave, I rotate it with a pre shave oil, the brand is slipping my mind right now, but I use the Proraso probably 6 or 7 out of 10 shaves. I really love the stuff.

Spud and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  12. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I just bought some based on the advice of another member who suggested it might help with razor burn on my neck. If I may ask, do you apply it once before you lather or more than once, say between passes?

Rusty blade likes this.
  13. bigmac53

Just once before I start shaving, I think anything more than that is overkill in my opinion. Also, I think proper pre shave routine, hot towel, hair conditioner is another good one, pre shave oil, Etc will all help alleviate razor burn. Also, using light pressure with the razor is another thing to be aware of. Wet shaving takes some getting used to and you need to develop technique. I don't think there are any wonder products out there that can overcome improper technique. I've been wet shaving for a few years now and I still screw up in a variety of ways all the time.

Demidog and Spud like this.
  14. m54daboll

m54daboll Well-Known Member

I have used the Proraso White Pre-Shave cream. Definitely not a strong menthol punch (I'll have to try to green). I do think it softens the hair well and feels great. A little bit goes a long way and it helps on my neck. Also very affordable. I will always keep some in my den

Spud and Robyflexx like this.
  15. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Yup...love my Proraso White pre/post shave cream. Can't live without it now. I have also found that Classic Noxema works equally well. Scent is not as nice, but it is inexpensive. I prefer the Proraso scent.

Odd...it just occurred to me that all the postings on this product only refer to the PRE-shave effect...but it is a pre/post shave cream. Has anyone tried it post shave as a balm? Must give that a try next time it comes up in my rotation.

Robyflexx and Spud like this.
  16. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I only apply it once as a preshave. Wet my face, apply an almond size glob and massage it into my stubble. I let it soak in while I load my brush and then lather. I generally only do one pass, sometimes two, but I only apply the preshave cream once.

Spud likes this.
  17. Macros42

Macros42 Active Member

I have used the green prorasa and it is excellent both pre and post shave. I recently got the red one (sandalwood) and love it too. It gives the same slickness to the shave but I do love the sandalwood aroma. Just about out of the green so may have to get another jar and rotate them. Don't use this for post shave so much anymore - got the speick splash and just love it for post shave.

Spud and Robyflexx like this.
  18. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I was so impressed with the Proraso creams that I decided to try some pre-shave. I needed a replacement for TSD pre-shave balm since it's no longer for sale. I opted for the red pre-shave because it doesn't have any menthol in it, and I'm still getting used to the idea of menthol in anything that isn't an aftershave splash. The more I smell the scent, the more I like it and now I feel more inclined to get the red aftershave splash. I haven't shaved with it but I did apply a bit today to see how it felt. When applied to a damp face, it's quite slick. I applied it once more following my shower and after drying off, and I found that it makes my skin feel really soft. It also absorbs really well into the skin instead of just sitting on top, so I don't think that it will cause you to break out if you have oily skin to begin with.

For me, the main allure of pre-shaves is how well they moisturize and so far, this looks like a winner. Even though I'm weary of menthol, I will eventually pick up the green and white pre-shaves too in order to match the creams and aftershaves. It's a shame that there won't be any blue pre-shave. I'm looking forward to using this in my shave tomorrow to see how much it helps but in all honesty, the Proraso shaving creams are so good that I can get good results out of them even without pre-shave.