Frank Shaving Badger Knot Advice.

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Hillbilly79, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

Out of all of the different badger knot sources out there, I cannot find any oppions on the Frank Shaving Finest and Silvertip knots. I am in need of a few knots, and saw them on the bay. Can anyone share there experience with this brand of knots? I know TGN has a great Finest knot, but how does the FS knot compare? Does the FS ST have backbone and softness? Is either knot suitable for face lathering? This is the kind of information I would like to find out before dropping some cash. Any and all opinions will be appreciated.

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have a FS finest brush I got about two years ago before I started making my own brushes. It was my favorite. I face lather and it is very soft and works great for me. The FS logo finally wore off, but the brush is still a great brush. It is a fan shape. Again, I really like it.
    fs4.jpg

Joef likes this.
  3. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Steam that sweet finest fan knot out of there Jay and drop that bad boy into one of your custom handles.

Jayaruh likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    It actually fell out over a year ago, and I glued it back with super glue, so I don't know if steam would do the trick. However, if it ever falls out again, it may well become a transplant. The FS handle is not bad though. It just does not get the love it once did. I rarely use store-bought brushes any more.

5. Hillbilly79

I really like the looks of that knot. Reminds me of my TGN 22mm finest fan I put in a C40. Has the knot held up well for you? I noticed most of the reviews I can find are from several years back. Not much mentioned in the past year. Seems most people liked the brushes, but just like any manufacturer, a few shedders made there way to the open market.

6. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Here it is: http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/jayaruh-28-complete.48194/ take a look.
    Mine has held up very well. The knot did fall out about two years ago, but I super glued it back in. It has worked great ever since. Now, it has a new home thanks to @JR Reyes .

7. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Frank Shaving?
    The knots that you will buy separately would be better if you buy the brush itself
    I have bought from him dozens of knots, lately the majority of them won't worth nothing.
    I think the sell their B' class knots separately.

8. Hillbilly79

Lord I hope that is not the case. I ordered a 22mm finest last night, and it's already shipped. I will definitely report my findings when it comes in. Hopefully it will be a good knot. I don't know if I want to deal with Chinese customer support. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

9. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I have two Frank Shaving brushes. Both a few years old, but my 23mm Finest Badger is a fantastic brush.
    It hasn't shed a single hair and I have used it a few hunded times without much sign of wear and tear

10. Hillbilly79

Finally got an update on the tracking. The knot should arrive the first part of next week. I'll try to post some pics of it when it arrives.

pvtbanks likes this.
  11. ElectroMike

ElectroMike Active Member

From what I recall, FS was a reputable source for brushes and knots, they also threw their knots in other Chinese made brushes but within the last year or so, the quality of their knots can be a hit or miss, so hopefully what you ordered is from a better batch.

Outside of TGN, I've had good luck with other Chinese fleabay sellers such as Ace Shaving and Virginia Sheng, bought all Finest Badgers from them and all are not shedding with great flow thru.

12. Hillbilly79

Thanks for the advice. I'm still waiting for the knot to arrive. It came into Miami, then Orlando, now somewhere on the highway. It was supposed to be delivered Tuesday, it's now Thursday. Maybe I'll see it in a day or two.

13. Hillbilly79

The knot finally came in on Friday. It has a very symmetrical shape, good density, and good backbone. It has just a little scritch compared to my TGN finest fan. I have cleaned it twice so far with borax and warm water, palm lathered once, and used it in a shave once. All together it has only lost about 4 hairs. Not too bad for about 22 dollars. As always, here are some pics. Thanks for everyone's advice. 2015-12-15 20.54.01.jpg 2015-12-15 20.54.44.jpg 2015-12-15 20.55.16.jpg 2015-12-15 21.06.56.jpg 2015-12-15 21.08.09.jpg 2015-12-15 21.09.03.jpg

Doryferon and youngunn like this.
  14. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Enjoy your brush!
    As for the backbone did you check it in face lather?

15. Hillbilly79

Yes I did. I seldom bowel lather. I have it set at a 50-51 mm loft. It seems to be about right. It has enough backbone to handle a puck of D R Harris.