Different Omega boars?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by tuxxdk, Dec 12, 2015.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Hello

Does Omega market different knots in various handles, just like Semogue have different grades over the product line?

I'm asking because I have an Omega that I can use (and have used many times = it's broken in). But I don't think I'll ever love it. It's too stiff and not soft enough, whereas my Semogue is silvertip soft with the classic boar backbone.

I would like another Omega, but I guess if all knots are the same, my quest is futile.

Any insider knowledge on the Omegas?

2. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Go to omegabrush.com they have badger, boar, synthetics etc.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  3. tuxxdk

I can't see it states the different boar knots?

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

I have seen the info. Somewhere I saw in the description of Omega products, the numbers on knot size. Might have been under the Marvy brand. If I spot it, I'll post here for you.

tuxxdk likes this.
  5. tuxxdk

That would be awesome - thank you!

I know exhausted info exist on Semogue, but I'm curious to Omega as I've never seen any.

6. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Me also couldn't find any info on hair quality of Omega brushes. But it looks like the hair of the Pro 48 serie is different from that of the small brushes, I'm not sure about it, only my impression.

tuxxdk likes this.
  7. tuxxdk

I think there must be a difference. If not, Omega's may not be me at all.

It could be I should try the Pro 48 once and for all.

8. Gabe

Gabe Well-Known Member

To my knowledge, Semogue is the only company that categorizes thier boar bristles.

PLANofMAN, tuxxdk and BigCabDaddy like this.
  9. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Haven't tried the Omega boars, but the Omega S synthetic brush is a very nice brush, and much softer than any boar I have tried. Another brush I have really been falling in love with is the RazoRock Plissoft synthetic, which has so far surpassed the Omega. Although the Omega brush is a great brush and can be found for around $8, the RR was $10 and the handle is much heavier and more sturdy than the Omega.

Jim99, BigCabDaddy and tuxxdk like this.
  10. tuxxdk

That would explain the lack of information to the topic!

Thanks.

11. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

This is a very good question, I have wondered that before. I hope someone knows the answer =)

tuxxdk likes this.
  12. Gordy

Gordy Well-Known Member

The Omega Pro brushes, to me are quite different from the classic series at least. I suspect this has more to do with length of bristles, though I think my Pro has higher quality bristles. My 10810 has never really felt broken in, and is quite scrubby. It feels as though it had its bristles cut to suit.
    My 20106 is completely different. It's got incredibly soft tips but has retained its backbone. It is also much more blonde in colour than the 10810, despite both brushes having the same number of shaves.
    I had a Semogue 610 which I gave away as once it had broken in, was more like a mop. Loved the handle, hated the bristles, a bit more scritchy than I like.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  13. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

I have both on the way plus a Vulfix medium 660 badger. Excited to experience the differences myself!

SHAVEWIZARD420 and Robyflexx like this.
  14. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Fantastic! Please post your impressions, I'm in the market for another brush and anything that well help me nail it down is welcome. :)

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  15. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Don't compare a Boar with a Synthetic because they are not from the same material.

Omega Synthetics are great far more than other brands
    I have 3 of them and i am very happy,no regret that i have bought them.

Robyflexx likes this.
  16. Omelmad

why_so_serious-1920x1080.jpg

Robyflexx likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I can confirm that. Semogue is the only company with any degree of transparency when it comes to how they grade their knots and where their hair is sourced. The other boar brush manufacturers make the English badger brush manufacturers look open and informative.

*Brushmakers tend to guard the secrets of the craft jealously. A habit passed down through the centuries. Semogue is very unusual in their openness. It makes for a better relationship with shavers, as it helps us make informed decisions when we pick a Semogue brush. I know which models of brush I will like from them just by checking the size, loft, and grade of bristle.

18. tuxxdk

Yeah, due to their openness I know exactly which Semogue models to look for and due to Omegas secrecy and experiences with one model, I'm afraid to go with another Omega.

PLANofMAN and BigCabDaddy like this.
  19. Omelmad

Which one is it that is not breaking in properly? the one with blue handle?

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  20. tuxxdk

Yes, that's the one. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but I may find it has too much backbone. The outer tips are okay soft, but the minute you press on, it becomes very hard and scritchy. Me not like.

The Bestshave #6 boar I have is way more softer, much much softer. The unbroken-in Semogue 1800 I have felt like a silvertip as for softness on first run.

But this Omega 10077 I have is just not as soft and work-able as I'd like. And when people here tells widely how amazing Omega is, and when they (Omega) don't specify their knots, I'm too afraid to try another because if 10077 knot is "amazing", then I'll bow and say thanks, but no thanks.

Spyder and Douglas Carey like this.