Adopting pets?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Queen of Blades, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
  2. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

3. jmaier

jmaier Well-Known Member

Love this. Zappos consistently hits it out of the park with their marketing.

4. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:signs021: Thanks for sharing JoAnna.

5. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

That is wonderful!

Thank heavens they are way out in LA or New York, just to be safe I will not mention this to DW. We already have 5 1/2 adopted dogs. Five large dogs and a Chi-Weenie mix, the shortest dog with the longest story.

txskimo likes this.
  6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    You apparently missed the "partners" bit. :D They have one in Massachusetts.

7. Epimetheus

Shhhh! DW has adoption hearing 40,000 times more sensitive than the spouse.

txskimo and macaronus like this.
  8. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

As soon as I get home I'm adopting a pup! Rescues are the best!

Paul Turner, BamaT and macaronus like this.
  9. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Be sure to check in the corners first! :p

pvtbanks likes this.
  10. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

My wife is allergic to most cats and dogs therefore we don't have any, though I would like to.

Bird Lives likes this.
  11. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Hmmmm...that's a borderline deal breaker.

12. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

You might consider an anti-allergic pet, though they may be pricey to get.

Spud likes this.
  13. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

My wife is allergic to dogs and cats....and we tried, but she would get a rash, eyes would swell and start having trouble breathing....But my Mom and Dad used to run a halfway house for homeless dogs...}8^))

But we did adopt a wild Parakeet or Australian Budgie to be more specific....Who landed on our balcony on the Marmara Sea, as a baby and wouldn't leave...When the seasons changed and we had to go back to Istanbul, we got a huge cage, more like a bird palace and brought her with us, and actually left her cage door open almost all the time....There were flocks of wild Budgies over there...But she wasn't interested in joining any of them.And for some reason she wouldn't leave our balcony....soooo.... she ruled our house with an iron talon for 15 years...

So Spud...at the risk of a short hijack....if canine and felines are out of the question, you might consider a winged addition to the family...They are great pets....and now back to your regularly scheduled program....

14. Epimetheus

Some people collect razors. Some people have less sense. The puppy is the remaining dog of that group. We have a whole new group. All adopted.

[​IMG]

Husky yoga
    This one, Sherala, is with us. An ADD Husky. Thank heavens we have her because no one else would put up with her antics.

[​IMG]

txskimo, Paul Turner, Spud and 2 others like this.
  15. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

My last two were rescued. It is great.

16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

How does that husky stand UP from that???

17. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I keep wondering why my back hurts when I get out of bed?
    image.jpeg

macaronus and txskimo like this.
  18. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Member

My wife and I have had dogs and cats all our lives. Our last dog died of old age a couple of years ago, and I have been thinking of getting another dog. On principal, I really want to take in a stray rather than go to a breeder. However, when I go through the paper, or visit the local shelter web sites, all I see is a pack of people with their greedy mitts out. $100 plus for a "mixed breed"? Sorry, but that's what I call a mutt -- worth about $10 at the most. I won't go near any animal with a price tag like that on them because I know the hook -- you get attached to the critter and just have to take it home.

19. Epimetheus

'k, here is da facks -
    petfinder.com is a good place to look for an animal, dog, cat, or other. There are essentially 3 types of adoption resources on PF, not breeders or advertisers-
    1. government operated shelters or animal control facilities
    2. private non-profit breed-specific groups that actually have the animals you can meet
    3. Private non-profit groups that import the animals from the southern US after you commit (pay money) sight-unseen
    All try to ensure the animal is a good fit, and provide the dog neutered and up-to-date on shots. At a vet, spay neuter can be $150 up and shots are $50 and up, so $150 to $300 pretty much covers the basics of preparing -any- dog. The cost is in the care, not the animal. A free dog costs just as much to care for as a $1500 animal from a breeder.

government facilities are the easiest to deal with and usually have the lowest cost, between $10 and $150
    Private non-profit groups have extensive application forms and tend to have a nose-in-the-air better than your attitude. The fee is $150 to $450, pups are more expensive than adults than seniors
    Private non-profits that import the dog -after- you commit is a bad idea. I suggest your avoid them. I think you must meet the animal to get a sense if it is right for you. Meeting is critical if you already have an animal.

We have gotten our dogs from government shelters, non-profits that have the dog on hand, and from good breeders. Our non-negotiable requirement is that we have the option to return the animal after a certain period, no cost, if it does not get along with our family or the existing dogs. We have returned several animals. They seemed good and revealed unacceptable behaviors after a few weeks.

macaronus and Queen of Blades like this.
  20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Congrats to everyone here who adopts their pets. Our last dog (to die) was a rescue, and to be honest, it was thirteen years of hell. I doubt I will ever get another dog that I can't have from 8-12 weeks on.

I have come to think of it like people who take in foster kids: Thank God for them, and it is a really great thing that they do. It just isn't for me.

macaronus likes this.