How many shaves do you average per blade?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by m54daboll, Dec 11, 2015.

1. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

2 shaves and its binned.

2. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

DE blades, 3 and out.

3. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Seven one or two pass shaves

4. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I can get 4 excellent shaves with any of my blades. I can get 5 0r 6 with several. I can get 7 with Med Preps, 7 O'Clock Blue SP, Gillette "Spoiler" Super Stainless.

NOTE: I have to go through MANY blades to end up with my rotation.

5. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

Are we supposed to use blades? No wonder I have been getting less than BBS.

Greg W.

wristwatchb and m54daboll like this.
  6. idvsego

idvsego Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am a 2-3 shave guy. Still way cheaper than cartridge shaving.

7. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

8. Number six

Number six Well-Known Member

Three or four for DE...the Mongoose blades last so long I lose count.

9. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

I have very sensitive skin, and with the blades I have currently tried anything more than 2 or 3 kills my face. I love the feeling of a fresh blade too much anyways lol. And they are recyclable so I don't feel bad about throwing em out

10. Boosnark

Boosnark New Member

Seven two-pass shaves. I use a new one every Monday morning and throw it away after the morning shave on Sunday.

11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Anywhere from two to seven shaves from a DE blade. With the exception of carbon blades in a Shake Sharp razor. Those I usually toss after a month or two of shaves. I haven't actually 'needed' to toss the blades. Usually it's because I forget to dry the blade and notice a spot or two of rust.

13. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

I am probably not the right person to add to this thread, as part of my shaving hobby is maintaining sharp blades and re-sharpening my blades. I get literally unlimited use from a blade by spending about 10 seconds every couple of shaves to maintain the edge with some vintage blade sharpeners. When I note a blade is starting to dull, I'll strop it with leather, and when that stops working, I'll re-sharpen it in a variety of vintage devices I use and then start all over again with a blade as sharp as new.
    I have some blades with over 150 shaves on them and they are just as sharp as they were on the first shave. I don't do this for financial reasons as blades are inexpensive, but more for the challenge and fun of it. The only blades I have difficulty with are injector blades which are the most difficult to sharpen.
    One of the fun aspects of this is to be able to sharpen proprietary and odd blades. If I buy a razor that takes a proprietary blade, I only need two blades; one to experiment with, and one to apply what I learned and re-sharpen the second blade as new.
    Obviously this is not for everyone, but I do enjoy doing it. The only problem is that I haven't discarded a blade (unless it's damaged) in years, and my stock of new blades is now sufficient to provide shaves for several generations to come.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  14. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Generally three.

Primotenore likes this.
  15. MadJimFlynt

MadJimFlynt New Member

I currently have 186 shaves on a Crystal DE blade. Like DonMac I use a vintage PDQ 10 second blade sharpener after each shave to maintain the edge.

DonMac and ironthinker like this.
  16. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Two and out. To confusing since I have 7 razors in my rotation and use different blades for different razors.

17. Redmond

Redmond Member

Same here, but change on Sunday.

18. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Generally I get 10 passes to a blade, plus or minus 1. If that' 5 shaves, or 3, is another matter.

19. I've pushed my blades to 5 or 6 completes shaves. But as I see it, DE blades are so cheap that every 1 to 2 shave I throw a new one in. No point in having a bad shave.
    Fresh blade in = Great shave out

Robyflexx likes this.
  20. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

+1