a question for those of you with some facial hair.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Badger-Face, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Badger-Face

Badger-Face Well-Known Member

I like to keep a goatee and for now I'm sporting some side burns and letting my hair grow. I also love to shave and I can whip up a mean lather.
    The problem I have is shaping my goatee with all that nice warm lather on my face. I can't see the lines with the lather on. So then I have to wipe it away and shave on bare skin.
    I was wondering if any of you also run into this and how you shave around the problem.
    My skin is not sensitive at all so I really don't have a problem shaving on the bare skin. I just wonder what others do.
    Do they make a clear shave Latino or something for this?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Shave oil works so does wiping it thin so you can see the hair through the lather. When I want facial hair I just wipe where I want to keep it then shave off the remaining lather.

Robyflexx, Dzia Dzia, Joef and 2 others like this.
  3. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

I do exactly as you say but it's not at all as drastic as you state it: I wipe away enough lather to see the line but the area is nowhere near dry any plenty of protection remains. I only shave a 1/4" - 1/2" path this way. One interesting thing to note is some razors make it much easier to sense the exact line than others. For instance, I feel very blind with my TV Special and most in control with my Ranger.

4. Badger-Face

You know I didn't think of using oil. Duh! I have some that I made for a pre-shave oil. That just made me sound pretty stupid lol
    Making it thin dosnt really work for me and wiping off the part I'm keeping dosnt either.
    I just can't get nice straight lines unless I see my skin I don't know why.

Robyflexx and Dzia Dzia like this.
  5. Badger-Face

Your right it isn't wiped dry and does still have a slight film of protection.
    Again my skin isn't sensitive anyway. So it's not that much a bother. It's just a smoother shave with the lather.
    I'll just keep doing it the way I am and maybe try a bit of oil. Thank you

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have a handlebar 'stache that on the hoizontal I keep even with the corners of my mouth. Like you, I just wipe away a bit of lather to spot my line.

Dzia Dzia and Badger-Face like this.
  7. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I rock a goatee and I understand your problem. I don't get too close on the first 2 passes, and when I do the rinse I will check how close I am and adjust accordingly. I would rather be safe than sorry, because I have had to shave it off because I messed it up in the past. This is the best advice I could give you.

Dzia Dzia, Badger-Face and txskimo like this.
  8. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

Basically what I do

Dzia Dzia and Badger-Face like this.
  9. Badger-Face

Thanks for the input you guys.

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  10. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

If you have a beard trimmer you could line out where you want your razor to stop. Or/And then wipe off the lather from the goatee. You are not shaving the goatee, so the lather doesn't need to cover it.

That way you have lather on the part of your face that you are shaving =) and stop where you see the line you made with the electrical trimmer or the part of the goatee that's not covered with lather.

Make sense? English is not my first Language, nor my second haha

11. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

+1

12. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

You could just walk around with an uneven goatee like me! I wish i was better at judging the lines.... someone very soon will post goatee contraption that i laugh at then think....hey wait a minute

Badger-Face likes this.
  13. Badger-Face

LOL

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  14. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Go to Amazon and pick up a goatee saver.
    image.jpg
    And before you ask, yes it's a real thing.

15. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

+1 for the oil it should allow you see and comfortably shave closely to make those lines crisp. When using oil I use a spray bottle filled with water to make the oil slicker.

Badger-Face and BigCabDaddy like this.
  16. Badger-Face

Now that's funny. Wow. I wonder if it works.

Double Edge Dougy and Robyflexx like this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    They've been selling them for years now.

I use facial features to map out my lines. The corners of my mouth, etc.

18. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

I knew one of you guys would throw this out there....after mocking it, perhaps i should use it and clean up my goat

19. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

I also sport a goatee I just lather up to it and wipe off a small line.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  20. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

My wife occasionally uses a thick shave gel which is clear, called "April" brand that may work well for your purpose.

BigCabDaddy likes this.