Razor issues

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kamen Tenshi, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Kamen Tenshi

Kamen Tenshi Going #1

My phoenix artisan DOC has given me some really bad shaves lately. When I first got it I got great shaves but now that I've had time to experiment with different blades/razors/and soaps. I can't shave with the DOC anymore any other direction except with the grain. Also when I use this razor, when tightening to top pieces to the handle the blade will bend rather than stay straight like most most DE razors (at least the ones I've used) if anyone could tell me if razors are supposed to bend the blade like that let me know. Thanks guys.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yes, the blade is supposed to bend, at least in every razor I know.

Stupid question, but have you gone back to using exactly the same gear you were using when you were getting good shaves?

Robyflexx and Billyfergie like this.
  3. Kamen Tenshi

Kamen Tenshi Going #1

Minus the brush. I gave away my boar brush and I'm using a very nice badger brush now. However my old MTO that I also gave away did not bend the blade but rather kept it still and it gave very good shaves.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Odd.
    That the blade doesn't bend, that is.

5. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Are you sure that it's just not that the head angle is steeper on the Phoenix and made it look more curved than the MTO? Cuz EVERY DE bends the blade. That's how they work.

6. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

:signs011:

7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

'nother stupid question... are you possibly installing the base plate upside down?

Robyflexx likes this.
  8. waddowedonowmo

waddowedonowmo Well-Known Member

+1 This. ^

9. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

My $0.02

I'd like to see a photo of this bended blade. Is it the normal bow of a cinched down safety razor or a wave at the edge?

Every DE safety razor I've ever known about arcs the blade when tightened properly. If there is an imperfection in the casting of your PAA, it may create a "wave" at the edge. Hearing that you have used it and had good results prior, something obviously changed. My bet is some sort of debris in an inconspicuous spot or a bit of the plating flaking off and affecting the edge.

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

You could PIF the razor to me then you won't have anymore issues with it.:happy102:

... To be continued...
    wine-3.GIF
    Don

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    You beat me to it, Don. I almost traded one of my brushes for a PADOC, but I read how mild they were, and I decided I really don't need another mild razor.
    It sounds like you guys have the bases covered on this one, even the pif.
    zthumbsup.png

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Nobody offered a trade. Myles is minus a boar brush. You're back at your manufacturing process. You could work a trade,@Kamen Tenshi could be relieved of his suffering, when you discover it's too mild for you, you could PIF the razor to me. He could discover he still doesn't like a boar and PIF the brush to me. Sounds like a win win for the Dzia Dzia.

... To be continued...
    wine-3.GIF
    Don

Robyflexx, Kamen Tenshi and Jayaruh like this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I wasn't clear. My fault. I had my eye on a PADOC about a month ago and was going to trade a brush, but after a little more research I decided against it. Otherwise I would have offered to take the razor as a pif like you did. I am not even sure if that was clear.

Robyflexx likes this.
  14. Kamen Tenshi

Kamen Tenshi Going #1

The mto if tightened down will bend the blade but I would tighten it just enough to keep the blade secure which was not enough to bend it.

15. Kamen Tenshi

Kamen Tenshi Going #1

No that isn't the issue.

16. Kamen Tenshi

Kamen Tenshi Going #1

You Crack me up Don
    That's a shame. After he mentioned that idea I would have shipped this razor to you pronto for a Nice Boar.

Robyflexx likes this.
  17. Kamen Tenshi

Kamen Tenshi Going #1

[​IMG]

18. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Ok, yeah, you're doing it wrong. That's supposed to bow like that. If you're not cinching down snug, you're going to let blood. Every DE safety razor made is supposed to flex the blade down like that.
    As pictured, that razor appears loose.

Bama Samurai and Robyflexx like this.
  19. youngunn

+1

Robyflexx likes this.
  20. youngunn

Snug the razor down tight, not crazy tight but snug. Not sorta tight.

Kamen Tenshi and Robyflexx like this.