January 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 31, 2015.

?

What is your preferred brush bristle-type?

1. Badger

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Boar

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Synthetic

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Horse or other

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Happy Birthday, sir! I hope it's a great one.

2. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Happy Birthday!!! Hope it is a great one! Sounds like off to a good start!

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

01/03/2016
    Razor – Cobra Classic
    Blade – Feather Pro (4)
    Brush – Rubberset 400-3 with WSP HMW
    Lather – TSD Signature
    Post - Witch Hazel followed by Captain’s Choice Bay Rum

[​IMG]

A very good shave this morning. Not quite as close as yesterday's shave but also didn't get bit by the Cobra. I went with a traditional 3 pass shave this morning going nice and slow. The baby was so close but I guess I am off my game this morning. I would call the near BBS shave as a A- for closeness and an A for irritation. I finished off with a splash of CC Bay Rum. I hope everyone has a great Sunday.

4. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I have ordered some of this soap and look forward to trying it! This soap will come in with some other TSD items. Perhaps I can contribute to a Shave Den Sunday post in the near future.

I'm looking forward to working on my skills with all of you in this focus!

5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Clint, congrats on getting the Cobra! It's a beauty, and it pairs well with your Rubberset 400. I'm glad today's shave was better. I'm sure you'll get consistent BBS shaves with it in no time.

6. wristwatchb

Perry, I'm glad you're here with us. The TSD soap is really good. It lathers us nice and slick, and it leaves your face feeling great.

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Perry, welcome to the 30 day crew. The TSD soap is a really good soap. The fact that there are so many scents available is a huge bonus.

8. obturador

obturador Active Member

Just finished another 3 pass shave. WTG, XTG, XTG I am liking the results thus far. Very minor neck irradiation that i think is due to me putting more presure on it than I should. I guess coming from the Phoenix DOC to the BB is taking some getting used to.
    I'm really digging the fluting (if it's not a word my bad) on the handle. I'm able to maintain grip even as soap gets in there.
    I find thus far that the angle it wants to shave works for me as I've been riding the cap on the DOC.

Very happy with where I'm at this point.[​IMG]

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Charlie. My biggest issue with the Cobra is the grip. As I change directions of the stroke, I have to really pay attention and make sure I have a good grip. I'm sure I will get better with it over time.

10. wristwatchb

I've never used a Cobra, but the grip looks a bit different. Can you swap handles? How is the overall fit and finish of the Cobra compared to the Mongoose?

Bama Samurai, wmbjr, Bill_F and 3 others like this.
  11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

One really cool looking razor. :eatdrink047: The weight of a stainless razor and handle takes a few times to get used to. I'm sure the irritation will not be an issue after using the razor several times.

12. wristwatchb

Welcome to the 30 day crew! The BB razor is stealth. :cool: I will enjoy following your focus this month. :happy088:

13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

The grip looks wicked cool to me. Unlike the King Cobra the handle on the Classic is integrated into the razor and can't be changed. Overall the build quality on this one seems very good. I think the Mongoose is built like a tank while the Cobra Classic is built like a race car.

Comparing the 2 razors, I would say the Cobra shaves a full blade more aggressive than the Mongoose. By that a regular Feather in the Cobra feels like a Feather Super in the Mongoose. Once I am more at ease with the Cobra, I will give it a go with a Feather Super.

14. wristwatchb

Thanks Clint. This is a helpful side-by-side comparison of the two razors. I like the ability to swap handles, and the KC would give someone that is not on NB16 that option. :rolleyes: I didn't realize the Cobra was so much more aggressive than the Mongoose. I would want to try a Super Pro in it as well. It will be fun to follow your progress this month.

15. TomJ89de

TomJ89de Well-Known Member

Lovely stuff and what a present the brush looks great enjoy your birthday

16. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Happy birthday, Doug!

17. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

image.jpeg

Straights Focus January 3:

Homemade PS Oil
    WD High Mountain Badger 30 mm
    TSD Lanolin Iced Sub-zero
    Frederick's Celebrated Razor
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Clubman VI Bay Rum

Another decent shave this morning with my Frederick's Celebrated. I got up a but early to shave, but I wanted to treat it like a work day, so I didn't exactly take my time. I didn't rush, but I moved at a quick pace. I managed a CCS+ with no irritation. The alum was very quiet.

I also used my WD brush for the first time in while, as the know came out of the handle. I decided to take my dremmel to it to sink it a bit more, and this really made the brush better.

I am also going to spend the rest of this month using Stirling soaps, as I get the most consistent lather from these. I have several scents, but they all perform in the same manner, so I will rotate through them. I am probably going to make some exceptions for Sundays, so I can participate in Shave Den Sunday.

18. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:rah::rah: :bounce017: th-9.jpg :bounce017: :rah::rah:

Have a great day Doug!​

19. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Welcome to the 30-Day focus Perry. Good to have you here. :happy088:

20. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

My worst blood letting since starting this hobby came at the hands of a razor that was too mild and had me using pressure and odd angles to try and compensate.