Gillette Fatboy

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Jvanis, Nov 11, 2015.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I have a Fatboy. I rarely use it. It was given to me by a member here and cleaned up very nice. I don't think I'll ever part with it.

Should I sell it here on the sites, and if current prices are to believe, it should get me around 130 USD. It's crazy. It's not even mint. But I do have the case.

Tdmsu likes this.
  2. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I bought two at a yard sale just over a year ago. I kept one and traded the other. I like it but rarely use it. I'm happy to say I have one but I will likely never buy another.

Tdmsu likes this.
  3. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

I think that part of the enjoyment of going after the fatboys is the kill... sort of like hunting. Unfortunately as you mentioned, it's too bad everyone is hunting the fatboys!

Tdmsu likes this.
  4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I own and have used three versions(FB, Slim & Super Adjustable) of Gillette Adjustables. I got VERY nice shaves from all three. I used them when I first started "traditional" shaving, during the time I was using Adjustables I came to favor the short handled SA the most. Since then however, I've found I enjoy using 3 piece razors much more.
    When comparing the prices on eaby for vintage razors, specifically FB's to modern Merkur adjustable's (Progress/Future $60-$70) most of the FB prices aren't that bad IMO and some FB prices are downright cheap! After all the FB shaves every bit as well IMO as a modern Merkur, is built at least as well if not better and comparatively speaking is rare(only made for 4 years).
    So IMO the Gillette Fatboy adjustable is a viable, useable modern safety razor that also has considerable collector value and can still be obtained for a reasonable price. It's a Fantastic American made adjustable safety razor, that's is not only well made, but is a piece of American history.:happy088:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
    PLANofMAN, RyX, Robyflexx and 2 others like this.
  5. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I'll wait until the new year. I have my November rule and in dec I'm going to try to focus on straights with a rolls backup. That gives me time to sort out my legal issues with my ex wife as well.

Robyflexx and Tdmsu like this.
  6. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I got my FB from a member for $40 last year. Then spent $70 getting it played in rhodium. (But, today only you can have it for $500. LOL)

But, it does seem that razors, in general, are getting more expensive online.

Robyflexx, 178-bplatoon and Tdmsu like this.
  7. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Member

I was fortunate enough to buy one years ago, and I picked up another in a trade. So now I have one for daily use, and one as a spare. Alternatively, I may send out the more worn one to be refurbished.

Robyflexx likes this.
  8. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

You can have this one for $250. It's a 9.5 out of 10. Original. 23K gold plate with clear lacquer still perfect. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

Greg, that is a beautiful Super Adjustable!

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

My first DE was a fatboy so I judge all others by it's shave. Should I ever settle down and try a 30 day focus I'd choose another. The FB is my go to for days when I don't feel like a straight. I'm still not skilled enough to get a DFS with just the straight so 195 is my touch-up tool.
    I'm in possession of three FatBoys now for a total investment of $25. Can't see selling them, but I might put em in my will for my three sons.

BigCabDaddy and Robyflexx like this.
  11. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

These arrived today from fleabay[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BigCabDaddy and PLANofMAN like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Nice razors. Those make good shavers. I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

BigCabDaddy likes this.