Blackland Brotherhood (BB)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obturador

obturador Active Member

Just finished another 3 pass shave. WTG, XTG, XTG I am liking the results thus far. Very minor neck irradiation that i think is due to me putting more presure on it than I should. I guess coming from the Phoenix DOC to the BB is taking some getting used to.
    I'm really digging the fluting (if it's not a word my bad) on the handle. I'm able to maintain grip even as soap gets in there.
    I find thus far that the angle it wants to shave works for me as I've been riding the cap on the DOC.

Very happy with where I'm at this point.
    [​IMG]

2. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I've been a little bit under the weather, and didn't shave until today. What a difference! I replaced the Gillette Yellow with a Voskhod, and used Soap Commander Courage for a really slick lather. The first pass (WTG) was much smoother, and I was genuinely impressed with the amount of reduction. Second pass (XTG) and I was already at DFS. Third pass was a combination of ATG and touch-up. Definitely BBS. Tried the Alum block and may as well have been rubbing a glass block on my face. Zero irritation. This was what I was hoping for when I bought the razor. It's amazing how a different blade and soap can change the shave so dramatically.

BeShaved, ajc347, PLANofMAN and 3 others like this.
  3. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Wonderful news! Glad you found a setup that works so well for you.

You guys have me sold. Going to order some Voskhods ASAP.

4. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Voskhods work great in all my razors, I love those blades. :happy088:

5. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I haven't found a razor yet that doesn't pair well with Voskhods. The Blackbird really woke up when I put them together. I can't stop faceturbating right now. :)

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I swear I honestly misread that right now. Thanks, the coffee looks great on my shirt.

BeShaved, ObiDon, Redfisher and 5 others like this.
  8. ajc347

ajc347 Well-Known Member

That's really great to hear that Voskhod's work well in the razor. :)

I've always found 7 O'Clock Yellows to be a pretty harsh (but sharp) blade and already have a couple of hundred Voskhod's in my den, so I'm fully prepared for the arrival of the razor. :)

BeShaved, ShaneS and Robyflexx like this.
  9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Second shave, pretty much a repeat of yesterday's great shave. I did not go ATG on my lower neck, leaving it DFS, but I basically never do two days in a row anyway. It had nothing to do with the razor.

I pretty much stand by everything I said yesterday regarding the shave this razor gives. It is not a pussycat by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a far far cry from being mean either. Ryan, I think it was, used the comparison of a Red Tip, and if you appreciate that, or prefer adjustables dialed towards the high side, you won't find this razor very aggressive. If you like razors like the H2, or the R41 etc, it's gonna feel pretty tame, but get your face the way you like it. I find it to shave much closer than my Fatip, but feel milder on the face. If you are truly a mild guy, it might not be for you.

I think the suitable shaving angle is very narrow, and if you aren't paying attention to your angle, you will experience the drag people have mentioned. I just think it's a razor that requires a little time/technique to dial in. Today I was perfectly fine N to S, E to W, but had to adjust myself a lot when going S to N.

I spent a little more time just looking the razor over, and I have to say that I am really liking the machining. I remember Shane saying that he wanted to leave some machining marks, as it sort of added to an overall image (paraphrasing). Well the work here isn't like machine marks left behind, it is more like tooling put there on purpose. I don't know if the intricacy shows as well on the black finish or not. It is fine enough I couldn't really get it to show in a picture. Really cool.

10. ajc347

ajc347 Well-Known Member

The more I read about this razor the more I'm starting to like the fact I've ordered one. :)

The Red-Tip Rocket is one of my favourite razors and Voskhod is one of my favourite blades - it sounds like this razor is going to be right up my street. :)

11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I didn't so much mean to compare the shave to a Red Tip, just the level of aggression.

Redfisher and ajc347 like this.
  12. ajc347

ajc347 Well-Known Member

It's really useful information as I was concerned that the razor might be a too aggressive. To know that it is roughly on a par with a Red Tip in terms of aggression is great news for me. :)

Redfisher likes this.
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Ditto. It actually feels more aggressive on the face than a red tip, but the actual shave itself is, if anything, slightly less aggressive than a red tip. Definitely in the same ball park though.

One thing's for sure. The Blackbird has the most unique feel of any razor I've ever used (and I've used a lot of different razor designs).

BeShaved, ajc347, ShaneS and 3 others like this.
  14. G22inSC

G22inSC Member

The Blackbird has landed. My Blackbird was a Xmas gift from a family member so I finally got my first shave in. Loaded the Blackbird with an Astra SP and all I can say is "WOW!" I previously preferred vintage Gillettes so for the last little bit I went back to the ole 34C to get use to a heavier razor again. You can definitely feel the prior mentioned "drag" that may be due to the black finish, but that may also enhance the shave a bit due to possible stretching of the skin. Regardless, I absolutely love my short handle model. Wasn't sure how the handle would feel and if it would be too slippery. Absolutely not, it's perfect and feels great. So glad I went with the short version. Now my question is, do I dare pick up it's sibling. Not sure the wife would be too fond of a "silver" one coming home right now.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  15. Number six

Number six Well-Known Member

Blackbird singing in the middle of the day. During my afternoon break the Blackbird arrived. The finish is outstanding as is the machining. Yes the corners are very pronounced, but not as sharp as the blade : ) This is a man's machine!
    Here are some iPhone pics. It's loaded with a Voskhod and there are some water droplets from rinsing it. First shave tomorrow.
    Blackbird3.jpg Blackbird1.jpg Blackbird2.jpg

BeShaved, Troy M, ShaneS and 4 others like this.
  16. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I'm pleased to say my Blackbird landed today!:mail: First impressions, this razor is very well made, the finish is unique and looks almost military. Very cool design. It feels very nice in my hand, solid heft and good balance. It came with some Personna blades and I'm considering using one for tomorrow's shave but will probably go with something I'm used to maybe a Polsilver or a 7 o'clock. Really looking forward to using it! image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Very nice photos from both of you. I'm really liking the mottled oiled look of that finish. It's really growing on me.

Troy M and Redfisher like this.
  18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I can see some of that 'patina-proneness' and I am loving it.

19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Tried the Blackbird with an Astra SP. It might be my favorite pairing so far. I don't think I'll try a Feather in it anytime soon.

BeShaved, ShaneS and Troy M like this.
  20. G22inSC

G22inSC Member

That was my first pairing this morning and we got along just fine. Have you tried the Voskhods? I don't currently have any and am pondering ordering some but not sure if they are much different from the Astra SPs. They are much more expensive considering you can find Astra 100 ct. sleeves for under $15 on Amazon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.