update to earlier: 2nd face lather test

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by JDro, Jan 5, 2016.

1. JDro

JDro Member

used art of shaving cream sample...think it either lathers WAY better than kiehl's, or I was way better the 2nd time after reading all the comments..or a bit of both?
    first set is soaking the brush (still more water?), used the entire sample basically, then the first pics as the lather built,
    2nd set are after I dipped the tips of the brush back in the water and lathered for about another 20 seconds or so
    how delicate do I need to be with the brush...like I want to USE it yknow..? but I don't want to damage it pressure wise....I also am nervous I am not drying it enough? I shake it pretty vigorously to get the water out, squeeze gently, paint brush back and forth on a towel and then hang it...it's still pretty damp tho...
    also I did my 2nd test lather tonight but plan to actually shave in the morning....is it bad to use the brush in the morning since it def won't be completely dry?

it actually looks thinner in the pictures than it felt on my face, but good to see, probably could have used one more dip in the water and another 30 seconds of lathering?

1st set of photos

Attached Files:

Robyflexx likes this.
  2. JDro

JDro Member

2nd set of pics after dipped the brush tips in water and went back to the face

Attached Files:

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Much better. Work the lather longer alternating circular strokes with back and forth slapping (painting strokes). Damage to the brush will only occur if you smash/splay the bristles straight down. You want to use the sides of the knot, not the center. Don't worry about drying (I am assuming you mean afterwards) rinse, shake and set it out in a well-ventilated space; never damp into a medicine cabinet. Less worry, more fun is my best advice to you. Keep it up. You're getting it.

Robyflexx and macaronus like this.
  4. JDro

JDro Member

Thank you!! I felt encouraged too!

Hard to know though regarding splaying it...i did more of that this time but how do I know if I'm using the center or the side of the knot?

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. Primotenore

Article Team
    Imagine pushing you brush straight down. The bristles will open up in a 360 degree fan shape (round). You are now using the center, or breach of the knot. Now imagine you press down and all of the bristles move towards the same side, that is a painting stroke. Check out this video:

start at 2:46 to see painting strokes.
    Here's another good one:

Robyflexx and youngunn like this.
  6. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I didn't even know you could one or the other to build face lather. Learn something new everyday.

I usually do circular motions and then paint it smooth at the end. I'll try just painting next time to see how that works.

Robyflexx likes this.
  7. Primotenore

Article Team
    I have the most success slapping the s**t out of my soap. (It also releases the soap from the interior of the brush)

Robyflexx likes this.
  8. JDro

JDro Member

Hey Primo thanks!!! I guess to this newbie the way the brushes in the videos splay out when they do circular motions looks liek it fans out the way you describe is bad and is being pushed out from the center, but again wtf do i know, this morning I lathered and tried to do ciruclar motions but tilt the brush a little at the same time to make sure I wasn't pushing directly down in the center and causing damage. i think i got a decent later this morning it was my 3rd time...but i know i definitely need to improve it still.

twhite likes this.