update to kid in a candy store :) 3rd shave

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by JDro, Jan 8, 2016.

1. JDro

JDro Member

I still think I am either not lathering enough time...or maybe using too much water..? People usually add "just a few drops" but I have been dipping the brush tips back in the water...

It's definitely better (speick is really awesome lol) but it still isn't that total whip cream like mega thick papa smurf thing that I am envisioning is what people are talking about? still more product?

Attached Files:

AGHisBBS likes this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    You want mega whipped cream? use a bowl. You'll get more air whipped into the soap. Otherwise, I think it's lookin' a lot better.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  3. JDro

JDro Member

ok thanks primo for the encouragement! no I definitely want to face lather so if I'm on the right track that's good. I just am not sure where the balance is in too dry/too sticky etc, or too much water lol

AGHisBBS, whiteboy_cannon and MattCB like this.
  4. MattCB

MattCB Well-Known Member

I am an avid face lathered and one of the indications I use is how much water it takes to wash the lather off of your razor. It's not the one and only measure, but it's a good indicator.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Given the choice between thicker or thinner, I'll take thinner. It's usually more slick.

Keep working it, you'll find your sweet spot.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  6. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

It looks like you had a large amount of soap on the brush at the start so needing a lot of water would make sense.

The lather pictures did look better than the previous set you shared so you are making progress.

When you're at a point in your lather as seen in the pictures, try very fast, back and forth painting strokes (not circular motions), using just the very tips of the brush, with maybe a few drops of water. The idea is to concentrate on a small area with an extreme of whipping action. See if that improves the lather.

I'll second the idea of lathering in a bowl, it will give you a different perspective on the process and you can try it without shaving, basically practice lathering, without having to wipe it all off your face.

AGHisBBS, Primotenore and PLANofMAN like this.
  7. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

It is a personal choice of either bowl or face lather, the important part of lathering is if the lather is slick enough for the razor to glide and cut and does not dry out during the shave and how well it keeps the beard hydrated. High puffy clouds are not needed, just as long as the lather is worked into the beard, not on top of it.
    Happiness is your Me Time, Denis

AGHisBBS and Primotenore like this.
  8. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I think it's looking pretty good too. Now you can play around with slight variations with more and less water to see where you like it best.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  9. necrotic

necrotic Active Member

Looks like it could use more water. I'm also big on face lathering, just keep lathering and adding water drops every 10-20 strokes until you get it where you like it. Every soap or cream is a little different and it matters too what kind of water hardness you're dealing with. Trial and error will eventually show you the way. Sometimes as an experiment you should just keep adding water and lathering until you overdo it. You'll see how forgiving the soap or cream is. It can usually take more water than you might think.