New to DE shaving

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by aaron.sterud, Jan 11, 2016.

1. aaron.sterud

aaron.sterud Member

So I just started shaving with a safety razor, since I have to shave due to wearing the uniform and want a more enjoyable and cheaper shave. I started with a cheap starter kit from Walgreens to see if I would like it. [​IMG]
    This is the kit I got and seemed to like it a lot. After I got through the set of 5 blades that came with it, I order a sampler pack of blades. [​IMG]

Now I have only shaved once since getting this sampler pack, and it was using the Shark Stainless Blade. It seemed to shave better than the blades I got with the kit.

This weekend I help move an older gentleman in to an assisted live and while moving I said something about shaving with a safety razor. His daughter gave me a razor for helping. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Now I have yet to use this razor and would like some info on it if anyone on here has any.

Thanks for reading this post.

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is a cool razor. Never saw that one before. Congratulations.
    zwelcome.jpg

wristwatchb, Robyflexx and AGHisBBS like this.
  3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

You seem to have a good introduction to the machine..and welcome my son. I honestly have never seen this krectshave razor before, but since we know everything about shaving here on the Den, I'm sure someone will come along with further input for you...

Double Edge Dougy and AGHisBBS like this.
  4. aaron.sterud

aaron.sterud Member

I found a post on here from 2009 about a krectshave but not much information on it. I would like to know when it was made if anyone has that type of information

AGHisBBS likes this.
  5. aaron.sterud

aaron.sterud Member

Also if you can't tell by the photos it is a slant head razor

AGHisBBS likes this.
  6. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Welcome. There's not a lot of info, but that is a Krect shave spiral curve razor. They were produced in Portland, Oregon in the mid 1930s

7. aaron.sterud

aaron.sterud Member

Thanks for the information so far that's the most anyone has had for me.

AGHisBBS and cmorris357 like this.
  8. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I know they were made with several different handle styles. Never tried one but supposed to be a really good shaver.

9. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Brand new to DE and you have a really cool hard to find razor in mint condition! Who's better than you!

waddowedonowmo likes this.
  10. Slipperyjoe

Told ya..we know everything bout shavin'..:git:

11. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD!

AGHisBBS likes this.
  12. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Welcome to the Den. Now that you have a vintage razor RAD (Razor Acquisition Disorder) will probably set in. You'll find yourself wandering strange little stores looking for razors. Have fun and enjoy!

RyX, Robyflexx and AGHisBBS like this.
  13. aaron.sterud

aaron.sterud Member

That's only one of three they gave me. The other two are straight razors

. [​IMG]

This one has Genco Tonsor on it

[​IMG]

And this one has no markings on it.

14. aaron.sterud

aaron.sterud Member

I can't wait to shave with it tomorrow morning. I am going to wake up a little earlier than normal so I can take my time with it.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  15. Slipperyjoe

A..O..Straight Razor Acquisition Disorders coming...:eek: Nice razors...

AGHisBBS likes this.
  16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD. You are off to a running start.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  17. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

hello and welcome
    cool razor btw

AGHisBBS likes this.
  18. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Thats a solid kit and great looking razor. Even better that you recieved it helping someone out. Enjoy your new hobby/lifestyle/moneypit

AGHisBBS likes this.
  19. aaron.sterud

aaron.sterud Member

Shaved this morning with the Krectshave. It was a good shave, seems to be a better shave than the fist DE razor that I got. It is a lot closer as I normally do 3 (WTH, XTH, ATG) passes, and today I just did a WTG and ATG. It is drag a bit more, but it also could have been the blade I was using. But no cuts or nicks so I am happy.

20. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

I assume you shaved with a straight before you started with de razors or you have a very flat learning curve, but I do wish you all the good things that come with de shaving(except the money pit you WILL fall into) and the adventure here on the Den (lots of good people here).

Best wishes and welcome to our home, Bill